By Yemi Adeleye
Lagos, Feb. 20, 2019 Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday solicited support of the Hausa community in the Southwest for the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari and other APC candidates in the zone.
Osinbajo, who made the plea at a Town Hall Meeting with the Community in Ikeja, Lagos State, said that some former leaders did not like Buhari because of his stand against corruption.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Arewa community leaders, drawn from Lagos State and other Southwest states, were present at the meeting.
“What we are hoping to see on Saturday is an affirmation, a vote for a man who has proven through the years to be a man of truth and honesty.
“The problem of our country is not that we don’t have enough money, the problem is that of leaders that we put there, many of them stole the money meant for the people.
“We are able to do more than even when they (previous administrations) are even earning more because the President is not a thief. Even his worst enemies, those who hate him, know that he is a man of truth.
“They know he is a man who will not steal the money of the people,” the VP said.
According to Osinbajo, it is unfortunate that the country has become a place where people who are in power believe that the country’s money belong to them and their friends.
He said that the stealing ended when Buhari became the President and that the government had achieved a lot with meagre revenue because of commitment to use public funds to better the lives of citizens.
Osinbajo said that public funds should be used for infratructure like roads, power, schools, hospitals and that was what Buhari was committed to which some corrupt people did not like.
He added: “Let us not have any doubt in our minds, the battle for power in this country is the battle between good and evil.
“There are some people who want to take the money of the country, there are some who want to use it for good.
“This is not a religious matter, you find thieves among the Christians, thieves among Muslims; you will find honest men among Christians, we find honest men among Muslims.
“I know one Muslim, who is an honest man, I know many, but one is Muhammadu Buhari. He is an honest man. Everybody, even his enemies know, he is an honest man.
“Let us not doubt in our mind at all, this next level that we are talking about by the Grace of God, the people of this country will begin to enjoy the fruits of all the sacrifice they have made in the last four years.”
He said that the first term of the President was used to build the foundation, saying that remarkable achievements had been made on railway, power, road and other infrastructure.
Osinbajo recalled that Buhari’s achievements as a former Head of State and petroleum minister were still there for all to see, saying that three of the four nation’s refineries were built by Buhari with 3500 k/m of pipelines.
“This kind of man deserves a second term. If he leads this country for another four years, this country will change completely. It will be impossible for thieves to come back to this country.
“This election is about the future of the country, it is about the future of our own children and our own future. We must not allow anybody to do anything that will upset where our country is going.
“Muhammadu Buhari has done a term now by May it will be four years; In another four years I promise you by the Grace of God, this country will be a different place, it will be a country that all of us will be proud of,” he said.
The vice president, who said that he didn’t doubt the sincerity of the Hausa leaders to vote, charged them to mobilise the Arewa community to come out en mass to vote.
Alhaji Ahmed Kabiru, the Chairman, Arewa Community in Lagos State who commended Osinbajo for recognition of the community, said that Buhari remained a sell-able product.
“The principal thing I am selling is President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo. I have to sell it to this audience.
“On behalf of the entire Arewa community across the nooks and crannies of the South West Nigeria, I want to reassure you of our support, our unflinching support for APC.
“We are going to vote APC from the very top to the lowest position. I assure you, we are going to do this,” he said.
He said that the group had been significant during elections and had been contributing to the success and development of APC in the state, urging Osinbajo not to forget the Arewa community.
Alhaji Sadiq Babangida, Hausa Leader in Akure, said that the community would not change its decision to support APC, adding that the country needed honest and sincere leaders.
At the meeting were Alhaji Umar Abdullahi, Chairman, Hausa Community, Ondo State; Alhaji Ado Suaibu, the National President, Arewa Youth Consultative Forum and Alhaji Ibrahim Hassan, Sarkin Hausawa, Abeokuta.
Edited by Chioma Ugboma/Idris Abdulrahman
- Manchester United fall to Burnley as fans turn on club’s U.S. owners
- Leicester City cement third spot with 4-1 win over West Ham
- Kaduna-Zaria highway: Police kill 2 bandits, rescue 20 victims
- NSCDC resolves 210 civil disputes, arrest 217 suspects in Adamawa
- Coronavirus: Symptoms, treatment and how to protect yourself — NCDC
- Edo 2020: Ebonyi sends 140-man contingent to zonal elimination
- Archbishop Chukwuma decries killing of Adamawa CAN Chairman
- Sanusi urges leaders, politicians to protect interest of less privileged
- WHO postpones decision on declaring China coronavirus as global health emergency
- Ipas Nigeria trains journalists on women sexual reproductive health
- Bauchi Govt. to install solar panel in Yankari Game Reserve
- Kaigama tasks Nigerians on culture of dialogue, peaceful coexistence
- Lassa Fever: Akeredolu meets traditional rulers in Owo to curb scourge
- Our association ready to prepare Kwara basketball team for honours at Edo 2020, official says
- Vesico Vaginal Fistula repairs: 36 women register for operation in Akwa Ibom – Matron
- 7 killed, 1 injured in cults clash in Ijede, Ikorodu
- Security: North-Central governors strategise on community policing
- FRSC promotes 283 personnel in Sokoto zone, calls for increased dedication
- LAGESC arrests 36 persons for alleged environmental offences – Official
- Kaduna AIDS Agency to introduce HIV self-testing kits
- FG to inaugurate National Traffic Radio
- U.S. Visa Restrictions: We are not going to react to speculations, says Presidency
- DMO offers N155bn of 3 Instruments to investors
- UN Chief rolls out plans to tackle global challenges
- FRSC tasks decorated personnel on service delivery
- Abule Egba pipeline explosion: Lagos govt. opens Igando Relief Camp for victims
- LAGESC arrests 36 persons for environmental offences
- Crashes: FG tasks FRSC on more enforcement of road traffic rules
- Commission to construct 500 houses for displaced persons in Borno
- NIOB decry increasing building collapse, calls for stiffer regulations
- Stakeholders advocate effective policy to curb communal clashes in North-Central
- Zamfara APC seeks FG’s intervention over alleged harassment by Gov. Matawalle
- Re-run election: Political parties sign peace accord in Kaduna
- Mob attack police, lynches “one chance” suspect in Abuja
- Ex Police CSP petitions IGP over attempt to frustrate assassination investigation
- Alleged drug trafficker to know fate on Jan.27
- Supreme court can’t reverse Imo governorship judgment – Lawyer
- Late Nipsey Hussle to be honoured at the Grammy Awards
- Alleged drug trafficker objects admissibility of NDLEA witness evidence in court
- Supreme Court: APC commends members for remaining calm, law abiding in Adamawa
- Edo 2020 Prelims: FCT football team qualify, as Plateau shine in female volleyball
- Dangote Cement share buyback to be completed in 12 months — Official
- Iran dedicates ‘world sacrifice prize’ to legacy of slain ‘martyr’ General Soleimani
- 1,500-year-old tombstone with Greek inscription discovered in Israel
- Tartan tracks of Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium are of international standard, Edo deputy governor assures
- Rights group urges sanctions against Venezuela over armed groups
- Rugby: Team Lagos beats Ogun ahead Edo 2020
- China’s big internet firms see robust 2019 revenue growth
- Russian central bank sees inflation slowing down in early 2020
- UK-Africa Investment Summit scales up investment for Africa’s clean energy transformation
- Tribal attack in disputed South Sudan border region kills 29
- Zimbabwe’s national grain stocks dwindle
- Trump says U.S. to add more countries to travel ban soon
- 17 deaths, 444 cases of new viral pneumonia reported in Hubei
- Airtel’s touching lives season-5 provides succour to less privileged
- ABU gets new Vice-Chancellor
- S/Court Judgement: PLASU says Gov. Lalong’s victory apt , significant
- Liverpool boss Klopp rules out January transfer exits
- Lagos Deputy Governor tasks religious leaders on moral values
- FG develops pneumonia control strategy– Minister
- Police kill notorious kidnapper in Katsina, rescue 7-months-old baby
- Expert identifies benefits of Science Ministry, Dundee University collaboration
- NSE: Market indicators sustain downtrend by 0.02%
- APC reconciles 35 aggreived youth groups in Zamfara
- NEMA distributes relief materials to IDPs in Abuja camps
- Imperious Federer thumps Krajinovic to set up Millman show
- Katsina Govt. to spend N401m monthly on minimum wage
- Live above board, embrace team work, Nasarawa MHWUN Chairman urges newly-elected officials
- Davido’s personal assistant, Aloma, buys new Mercedes Benz
- Rerun: INEC trains 100 NYSC members in Ogun
- FRSC intensifies patrol to check reckless driving on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway
- FRSC decorates 46 newly-promoted officers in Delta
- Music Star, Naira Marley urges ‘Marlians’ not to mortgage their future
- Mongolian capital to reform public transportation
- FG markets Argungu fishing festival to global tourism investors
- Lawyer cautions against politicising security issues
- World leaders arrive Jerusalem for World Holocaust Forum
- Adamawa Government declares end of cholera outbreak
- Foreign countries sabotaging efforts to repatriate Allison-Madueke – Magu
- Serena dances into third round in Melbourne
- Imo will pay minimum wage after negotiation with labour – Gov. Uzodinma
- Court gives EFCC nod to freeze N136m linked to army chief, Hakeem Otiki
- Somalia, UN agencies launch $1.03bn-live-saving-plan to help 3 million people
- Sanwo-Olu says work-related injuries, ill health rising in Nigeria
- IPMAN lauds Gov. Ugwuanyi for averting crisis, calls off strike
- Duchess Kate embarks on UK tour for childhood survey
- Labour denies agreement with A’Ibom Govt on minimum wage
- NLNG signs sales deal with TGP
- Group commends Osun govt’s youth development programmes
- Bunkering: Navy hands over 6 suspects, barge to EFCC in Bayelsa
- Gov.Fintiri promises to recover looted funds
- Court remands 2 for allegedly raping 20-year-old woman
- Mining Cadastral Office trains staff on electronic system
- Putin: Russia not ready for parliamentary system
- USAID launches $8 million ‘Water for Agriculture’ project
- Kaduna govt. provides medical intervention in 963 health facilities
- Fast track trial of those indicted in power sector probe – SERAP tells AGF, EFCC, ICPC
- Misappropriation of funds: Allegations remain baseless – AMAC Spokesperson
- South African Airways should be saved – ANC
- Politicisation of ‘Amotekun’ unhealthy, dangerous – Gov. Oyetola
- 250, 000 children in Nigeria die first day of life – UNICEF
- Administration of Criminal Justice Act will enhance professionalism in police force- IGP
- TCN to acquire helicopters for fault detection on power lines
- BMO urges PDP to apologise over protests
- Guinea-Bissau electoral commission confirms Embalo as president
- Suspended Lagos mass transit train service resumes Thursday — Official
- Gombe to strengthen media fortunes
- Egypt, Saudi hold joint naval drills in Red Sea
- Rep. Maren condemns brutal murder of 100 level student of Unimaid
- We won‘t sign minimum wage agreement that ‘ll lead to retrenchment in Ondo – Labour
- Cattle allegedly destroys rice farmland worth N17 in Enugu community
- $1.2bn Malabu oil scam: Confusion from EFCC stalls Adoke’s arraignment
- Police arrest inspector for alleged murder of widow in A’Ibom
- INEC calls for review of gender policy
- Wrestling: Oborududu climbs to career-high 3, Adekuoroye returns to 2 in World ranking
- Amotekun: Tinubu calls for dialogue
- Correctional Centre (prisons) sends SOS to the judiciary on awaiting trial inmates
- Nigeria’s economy still vulnerable to external shocks, says LCCI President
- 4 women bag 6 months jail term each for engaging minors to beg in Enugu
- World Bank urges Africa to embrace global value chains
- FRSC tasks 192 newly promoted officers on commitment
- Senator drills 354 tube wells to promote dry season farming
- UITH holds refresher course for nephrology nurses
- Top EU official warns trade partners to brace for climate tariffs
- Imo: Clerics urge Supreme Court to explain alleged conflicting figures
- SAHCO wins Ethiopian Airlines’ ground handling contract
- Belarus awaits Pompeo’s Feb. 1 visit considered highest level U.S. visit in decade
- Re-elected health union leader assures of better days
- We are not recruiting-NAF
- Civil society group wants court to stop IMN from publishing book
- Libya’s UN-backed government says Haftar forces hit Tripoli airport
- Kwara Gov’s wife seeks stakeholders intervention against drug abuse
- Market sanitation: Iyanoba chairman urges traders compliance
- FRSC tasks 16 newly-promoted officers, marshals on saving lives on hinterland highways
- BBNaija star, Mercy Eke makes Nollywood debut in `Fate of Alakada’
- Iranian minister urges Europe to `exert sovereignty’ amid U.S. pressures
- Gov Sanwo-Olu lauds NNPC, SNEPCo donation of medical emergency equipment
- Two site labourers to die by hanging for stealing car at gunpoint
- Paraguay’s President Abdo contracts dengue fever amid outbreak
- Kwara Gov’s Wife commits govt to efficient healthcare delivery
- Lawmaker distributes 200 JAMB forms to students in Nasarawa
- NGO calls for laws to spring up small, micro industries in Enugu
- Bayelsa Medical University holds maiden matriculation with 208 students
- Breaking: Arraignment of Adoke stalled
- Aregbesola tasks ICRC on creativity, innovation to address infrastructure deficit
- Swine fever: Italian police seize illegally imported pork from China
- NCDC advises Nigerians on China’s mystery coronavirus
- Court remands couple over alleged teen murder
- Police warn public against use of dustbins to dispose documents
- Censors Board destroys illicit films worth N50m in Kaduna
- I will set new record in Tokyo Paralympics – 5-time paralympian boasts
- FG to establish Agro-allied industry in each senatorial district
- Egypt foils plan to create chaos ahead of Jan. 25 uprising anniversary- ministry
- Edo 2020: National Referee Judge hopeful of Ebonyi’s impressive performance
- Decision to move AFC matches out of Iran is political, Iranian leader’s aide says
- NGO urges FG to halt allocation to states with LG transition committees
- My wife committed polyandry – man alleges in court
- Former court president of eastern china province expelled from CPC
- Okorodudu decries lack of training equipment for young boxing talents
- Court remands 8 men over alleged conspiracy, armed robbery in Gombe
- Kwara commissioner tasks students on patriotism
- Wuhan virus sees Olympic football qualifiers moved
- Man arrested over knife attack at Beijing hospital
- Mohamed Wahab named Africa’s best technical official of 2019
- Medical expert advises teenagers against underage family planning
- NGO to sensitise over 200,000 youths on substance abuse prevention
- Akwete Youths protest unjust treatment from Rubber Research Institute
- Sokoto workers to receive N30,000 minimum wage from January
- Promotion: Sector commander tasks officials on discipline, had work
- Edo won’t blow its trumpet until 20th NSF comes up, Osifo says
- My husband is violent, threatens to pour acid on me, wife alleges in court
- NFAN says with border closure, we cannot meet local fish demand
- Gov. Bagudu appoints new SA Media
- Lagos Assembly `ll support delivery of Fourth Mainland Bridge project
- NBTE approves 4 national diploma courses in Kwara Arabic college
- Nigerian Army to revive polo sport in Nigeria – Buratai
- Nigeria needs community policing – Legal practitioner
- Businesswoman, 26, in court over alleged N1.3m fraud
- Alleged N13.5m Forex fraud: Housewife in court for allegedly defrauding 19 people
- Adesina hails growing African economies
- Judge punishes correctional service official over obstruction of court proceedings
- Northern Governors condemn Boko Haram’s killing of Michika CAN chairman
- Barber docked over alleged cultism
- Group wants rapid development in Abia
- Porter in court for allegedly stealing tracker, 8 smartphones
- Ghana takes measures to prevent 2019-nCoV
- Iran says to launch new home-made satellite
- Plateau NUJ chair tasks colleagues on reportage
- First case of coronavirus reported in U.S.
- Review of Nigeria’s law, necessary to prevent abortion deaths – Medical Practitioner
- Man, 42, docked for obtaining N234,000 under false pretence
- Security guard gets 6 months jail term for negligent conduct
- Red-hot Nadal faces Delbonis, says majors tally not a focus
- Abandonment: Pregnant wife seeks dissolution of 2-yr-old marriage
- Coronavirus: Nigeria Port Health Services on alert at points of entry – NCDC
- Africa’s unmet infrastructure demand worth $108 billion a year–Adesina
- Coronavirus: NCDC assesses, manages risk, advises on how to keep safe
- Lack of access to WASH facilities increase diseases-expert
- NUJ commends Plateau Govt. over remodeling of Press Centre
- Businessman, 38, docked for alleged attempt to export 2.3kg of Cannabis to Gabon