The Osun House of Assembly, on Monday, charged the state Local Government Areas (LGAs) and Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) managers to increase their Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) to enhance development.
The lawmakers gave this charge when the administrators of the 30 LGAs and 36 LCDAs appeared before the House to give account of how they had been managing the finances of their councils in the last six months.
The House Committee on Public Accounts and Local Government and House Committee on Chieftaincy Affairs, had earlier tasked the LG administrators to give account of how they utilised the allocations received and revenues generated within the period.
Mr Debo Akanbi, a lawmaker, lauded Bode-Osi Local Council Development Area managers for generating N36 million, which was the highest figure so far generated by all the councils attended to.
Akanbi, however, tasked the council not to relent in its efforts in generating more, even as he urged other councils to also improve on their IGR so as to beef up the state revenue profile.
Similarly, Mr Wasiu Adebayo, the Chairman, House Committee on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, cleared the air on the vehicles the state government procured and presented to the LGAs and LCDAs.
He said that two vehicles were given to each of the local councils for the use of the chairmen and speakers of the councils.
Adebayo added that the vehicles, however, belonged to the councils and remained their property, even after the exit of the elected council lawmakers.
He said the state House of Assembly had also passed the law abolishing Local Government Administrative Offices, in line with the federal constitution.
Adebayo added that all the former administrative offices had now been renamed Area Council Offices.
- South African Airways cancels almost all flights for Friday, Saturday
- 2 men in court over alleged unlawful possession of cartridges
- Nigerian Armed Forces shine at international sports
- 2 years since arrest, Cambodian journalists await spying verdict
- Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia
- Italian police seize over a tonne of cocaine in banana container
- Kogi elections: Group urges politicians to eschew violence, hate speech
- 17 injured in blasts at south-eastern Turkey Ammunition depot
- Philippines deports 312 Chinese nationals for telecom fraud
- Indian court delays ruling on ban on women entering Hindu temple
- Health Training Initiative increases accreditation status, academic performance – Registrar
- Oil rises after OPEC’s Barkindo says U.S. shale growth may slow in 2020
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business