The Osun House of Assembly on Wednesday summoned Local Government administrators in the state to appear before it to explain how they expended the federal allocations released to them in the last six months.
The House Committees on Public Accounts as well as Local Government and Chieftency Affairs issued the summons to the 30 Local Governments Areas and 36 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) administrators.
Mr Rasheed Afolabi, the Chairman of the House Committee on Public Accounts, said a review of how money given to local governments was expended was one of the statutory responsibilities of the Assembly.
Afolabi said the exercise was not to witch-hunt but to ensure that money given to the local governments were judiciously used and accounted for.
“This exercise is a joint assignment of the House Committees on Public Accounts and Local Government and Chieftency Affairs and it is to review the accounts of local governments in the past six months.
“The local governments had been asked to submit their income and expenditure for the period under review and what they are summoned for now is to defend what is contained in their reports.
“It is a routine exercise and we just want to know how they have applied the money given to them and hold them accountable to the people,” he said.
He said 12 local governments and LCDAs appeared before the House on Wednesday and their reports found satisfactory.
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business