Sen. Ademola Adeleke, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Sept. 2018 governorship election in Osun, has approached the Supreme Court, seeking a reversal of the decision of the Court of Appeal that declared Mr Gboyega Oyetola, as the winner of the poll.
A statement by Niyi Owolade, Legal Director, Adeleke Campaign Organisation, on Saturday in Osogbo said Adeleke, in his appeal, wants the apex court to set aside the ruling of the appeal court and uphold the decision of the Osun election petition tribunal.
Owolade said Dr Onyeachi Ikpeazu, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and six other SANs as well as 17 other senior counsels, had been hired by Adeleke to challenge the appeal court judgement at the Supreme Court.
He said Ikpeazu had already filed four appeals at the Supreme Court against each of the four majority judgements of the appeal court.
But Appeal Court on May 9, reversed the ruling and set aside the decision of the tribunal and reinstated Gboyega Oyetola as the winner of the election.
Owolade said the appeals were against majority judgement in favour of Gboyega Oyetola, the Independent National Electoral Commission and the striking out of the cross appeals of Senator Adeleke, among others.
Adeleke is seeking reliefs from the Supreme Court: to allow this appeal, set aside the decision of the appeal court and dismiss the appeal of the respondent, against the judgement of the tribunal.
Owolade said other SANs that would be appearing with Ikpeazu in the appeal, include Chief N.O.O. Oke, Dr Paul Ananaba, Emeka Etiaba, Emeka Okpoko, and Kehinde Ogunwuminju.
Other senior counsels on the team include Niyi Owolade, L.N. Iheanacho, Edmund Biriomoni, Wole Jimi-Bada and 13 others.
- NAHCO generates N7.38bn revenue in nine months
- TY Danjuma Foundation marks 10 years of philanthropy, promises more on healthcare
- Sudan inaugurates first childhood diabetes centre on World Diabetes Day
- Aisha Buhari inaugurates Kogi Presidential Lodge
- NNPC secures $1.16m US grant for 1,350MW Abuja Power Plant
- Airtel Africa set to expand Nigerian market with additional spectrum
- Group recommends procedures to enhance credibility of LG polls
- Kogi Election: Foundation cautions politicians against violence, malpractices
- Russia will recognise legitimate authorities in Bolivia only after elections – Zakharova
- Accident bureau releases preliminary reports on Air Peace incidents
- NSE market capitalisation inches N245bn, as fixed income instrument yields decline
- Kebbi Govt to disburse N1.5bn loan to livestock farmers
- FG says other options available for social media regulation
- Why we decided to work in harmony with Executive-Lawan
- Buhari writes Scientific Magazine, says planting trees solution to conflicts
- Gov. Ugwuanyi pledges support for indigenous companies to grow
- Kogi poll: Coalition calls for level playing ground for all candidates
- U.S. wants coalition to focus on foreign IS fighters, Africa
- Ember Months: FRSC decry high rate of accidents in Nasarawa
- Yuletide: FRSC harps on safe-driving culture to ensure zero crash, zero fatality