Gov. Gboyega Oyetola of Osun said on Monday that the State Government would donate 20 vehicles, to fortify security in the South-West as agreed by governors in the geo-political zone last June.
The Nigeria News Agency recalls that governors in the South-West resolved to provide vehicles during their security summit at Ibadan two months ago, to tackle worsening security challenges, including the menace of deadly herdsmen and jihadists.
Oyetola made the announcement when he hosted reporters at his country home at Iragbiji community in Osun for Sallah.
The governor, who was speaking on the steps taken by his administration to secure and make life better for the people of the state, stated that governors in the South-West had agreed to donate 20 vehicles each to security operatives, to fortify security in the geo-political zone.
He said that other plans to fortify security and curb kidnapping and other criminalities were also underway and that the resolutions would be announced in due course.
Oyetola said that the Osun Government would also be deploying forest guards, to assist the police in apprehending criminals, using the forests as their hideouts.
The governor advised newsmen to be careful and to verify their stories before publishing, noting that stories on insecurity had the tendency to scare people away from the state.
According to him, the security challenges in the state are not as bad as being reported in the media, pleading with journalists to be partners in progress with his government.
He, however, thanked journalists for giving the state governorship election and post-election trials and other state activities, balanced and adequate coverage, acknowledging that the role of the media was critical to development.
Mr Kehinde Ayantunji, Chairman of the Osun State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), in his thanked the governor for giving journalists recognition in the state.
Ayantunji assured the governor that the media would continue to give needed support to his administration.
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union