By Olajide Idowu
Osogbo, July 9, 2020 (NAN) The Vice-Chancellor of Osun State University, Prof. Labode Popoola, on Thursday, said the university’s N13 billion teaching hospital under construction would be completed by 2021to serve the medical students of the institution.
Popoola gave the assurance while hosting members of the state House of Assembly’s Committee on Education, who were at the institution’s main campus in Osogbo on oversight inspection of ongoing projects in the school.
The vice-chancellor, while briefing the lawmakers on the activities, projects and developments in the school, said the building of the teaching hospital started in 2018.
He said that the teaching hospital under construction was donated and funded by the school’s Pro-Chancellor, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija and was being built on 30 hectares of land in Osogbo.
He said that 104-capacity hostels were being built in each of the institution’s six campuses across the state.
Popoola, however, said that the institution was facing some financial challenges but had been managing to promptly pay salaries of staff and execute projects.
He told the lawmakers to help appeal to the state government to improve on the ‘state grant’ coming to the institution.
According to him, the grant and the ‘contribution from the local government’ (which forms two of the three means of funding the school) had not been forthcoming.
Popoola said that the state grant the school was receiving had dwindled and the contributions from philanthropists to the institution had stopped totally.
He said that the institution now only survived on Internally Generated Revenue (the third constitutionally-recognised means of funding for the institution).
He appealed to the state government to intervene in the payment of salaries of the institution’s staff.
In his remark, the Chairman of the Osun House Committee on Education, Mr Babatunde Ibirogba, who led other lawmakers on the inspection, said he was impressed with the operation and activities going on in the institution.
Ibirogba said the visit was for the lawmakers to have first-hand information of activities and developmental works going on in the campus and to know where the state lawmakers need to intervene.
He said so far, he was pleased with the management of the institution, especially the vice-chancellor for the developmental strides the school had recorded.
He promised that the state House of Assembly would help the university where necessary, saying that all the contractors handling projects on the institution’s campuses would be put on their toes to ensure they deliver quality works. (NAN)
Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)
COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.
The agency said that eight new deaths were reported, bringing the total number of fatalities to 896 across the country.
The NCDC said that the new infections were recorded in Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory and 13 states.
It stated that Lagos topped the list with 88 new cases, while the FCT reported 25 fresh infections.
Among others were Kwara, 33, Osun, 27, Enugu, 25, Abia, 20, Kaduna, 17, Plateau and Rivers, 13 each, Delta, 10, and Gombe, 8.
The agency stressed that states with fewer cases include Ogun, 4, Oyo, 3, Katsina, 1 and Bauchi, 1.
According to it, till date, 44,129 cases have been confirmed, 20,663 cases discharged and 896 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
Meanwhile, the health agency added that washing of hands frequently with soap under running water was one of the best ways to stop the transmission of diseases like COVID-19 from person to person or after touching contaminated surfaces.
“#TakeResponsibility to keep yourself and loved ones safe and healthy.
“This election period, #TakeResponsibility by adhering to guidelines to protect ourselves and loved ones from COVID-19, including Physical distancing, Use of hand sanitisers and Use of face mask,” it advised.
“In Nigeria, use of hydroxychloroquine is only limited to clinical trials.
“Please #TakeResponsibility and avoid self-medication,” it stressed.
The agency warned that a high percentage of those infected with COVID-19 did not show any symptom of the disease.
“So, to protect yourself and everyone around you, wear a face mask, maintain physical distancing, wash your hands frequently and follow all guidelines from the NCDC website,” it said.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)
Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off
The 30-day exercise was started on July 24.
The Fleet Commander said that the successes were based on the collaboration between the Navy and the Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) facilities which made vectore, intercept and interrogation easier.
He also said that four suspects were arrested along with 8x50litres jerry cans filled with PMS in additiin to several other empty jerry cans.
“These arrests were made between July 27 and Aug. 3 at Idi-Mango in Abule Glass Akaraba area,” he said.
He said that the Nigerian Navy would not relent in its efforts until it had provided the necessary and conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out their legitimate maritime-related business.
“Based on operation posture of Western Naval Command underlined by foregoing successes against perpetrators of criminalities within the nation’s maritime environment,I hereby restate that the Nigerian Navy will not rest to its oars until it has provided necessary conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out legitimate theurtheir maritime-re business.
“May I further request that as partners in progress, members of the public are free to divulge credible information to the units in your localities to enable it to get rid of all forms of criminalities,” he said.
He said eight ships, two helicopters and a detachment of NN Special Boat Service (SBS) participated in the exercise.
NAN reports that the Command had earlier engaged in a series of exercises and operations such as: OPERATION JUNCTION RAIN, EXERCISE SWIFT RESPONSE, EXERCISE ATEGUN ALAFIA, EXERCISE OKUN ALAFIA I, TREASURE GUARD II .
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Peter Dada (NAN)
COVID-19: Osun Task Force arrests residents violating use of face masks
The Osun Joint Task Force on COVID-19, on Monday, arrested some residents of the state in Osogbo, the state capital, for improper use and/or failure to wear face masks.
The task force said that the arrests had become necessary in view of the alleged failure of the affected people to comply with the safety rules of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the directives of the state government.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the task force had swooped on motorists and pedestrians, arresting those who were either not wearing face marks or not putting them on properly.
Some pedestrians, who were not wearing face marks, however, quickly ran back on sighting the taskforce from afar, while those putting their face masks below their chins quickly adjusted them to cover their noses.
NAN reports that the state Deputy Governor, Mr Benedict Alabi, had, on Sunday, announced that starting from Monday, government would begin to impose stiffer penalties on residents flouting the COVID-19 safety measures.
Alabi, who is also the Chairman of the task force, also rolled out fines that defaulters of the state COVID-19 rules and directives would pay for violating the safety protocols.
He said that the measure had become imperative because of the rising cases of COVID-19 in the state, occasioned by some individuals and institutions’ flagrant disregard for government’s guidelines.
“Hotels, clubs and bars that flout the COVID-19 safety protocols will be closed and fined N250,000 each before they can be allowed to reopen.
“Defaulting worship centres will also be closed and fined N100,000 each before they can be allow to reopen.
“Private hospitals caught treating COVID-19 patients will have their establishments shut and the owners’ practising licenses withdrawn.
“Individuals, who flout the safety protocols of the state government, after being tried, shall be sentenced to community service.
“Motorcycles that exceed the approved loading capacity shall be seized and fined N2,000 each, while buses and mini-buses that violate the approved loading capacity shall be seized and fined N5,000 each,” he had said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
Monarch urges strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols
Oba Mufutau Oyekanmi, the traditional ruler of Asipa (the Alasipa of Asipa) Ilufemilloye Fashina V111, near Ipetumodu in Osun State, has urged Nigerians to support the government on strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols to curtail the spread of Coronavirus across the country.
He made the call on Monday at Asipa in Ife North Local Government Area of Osun when he met with some journalists in his palace.
The monarch commended the efforts of the local, state and Federal Government on measures put in place to ensure safety of lives of the citizenry in tackling
Oyekanmi said “recently, government took bold steps at the right time to curtail the spread of Coronavirus by not allowing congregational prayers.
“Some people were not happy with the ban of the Muslim Eid festival prayer by the Osun State Government but it is simply because of us so we
can celebrate many more of Eid el-Kabir.
“We thank God by sparing our lives to witness this because it’s the living that celebrates.”
Sikiru Ayedun, former Osun State Commissioner for Home Affairs, Culture and Tourism, said
Ayedun said that the order of the state government on no Eid prayer for the 2020 Eid-el-Kabir was because of the COVID-19 “and a
test of faith.
“Whatever people are doing today is part of sacrifice, because at this point in time, our faith is being tested.”
The former commissioner assured that at the end of the tunnel, there would be a new dawn, but Nigerians should seek peace,
tranquility and live with one another in brotherliness.
Alhaji Eluyera Oyewole, former Education Secretary, Ife South Local Government, Ifetedo, Osun State, said that “everyone has
now realised that COVID-19 is real and that the pandemic is killing both the rich and the poor.
“Osun State Government did not make mistake in banning congregational prayer for the Eid el-Kabir festival, for this can increase human contact
during celebrations and that can cause more infections.
“Thank God for our government that is 100 per cent proactive, by doing the needful, else, it will have spread the virus.
“Government is doing its best; we urge for support from all by obeying the COVID-19 protocols.”
In the same vein, Alhaji Fatai Kolawole, former Permanent Secretary, Osun State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), commended
the efforts of the state government for trying to save the lives of the citizenry against COVID-19.
Kolawole said that banning congregational prayer for this year’s festival was a welcome idea, saying this is just for a brief period as it would not last forever.
He asked everybody to co-operate with government on directives given, adding that“COVID-19 is a joint task that government alone cannot fight.
“Very soon, COVID-19 will be eradicated, whereby things will be normalised educationally, economically, socially.”
He urged all and sundry to co-operate with local, state and Federal Government in curbing the spread of the Coronavirus by strictly adhering
to the use of face mask, regular washing of hands with soap and sanitizer, as well as keeping social distance, among others.”
Edited By: Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)