Connect with us

General news

Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies

Published

on

Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies

The Oyo State government, on Tuesday, approved the sum of N178.7 million for the procurement of radio communication equipment for the security agencies in the state.


Dr Wasiu Olatunbosun, the state Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, made the disclosure on Tuesday in Ibadan, at the end of the state Executive Council meeting.

Olatunbosun said that the equipment to be procured were different from the 100 units of Kia Rio vehicles earlier purchased for distribution to the security agencies.

According to him, the equipments are sophisticated digital communication gadgets that can expose whoever is involved in any security breach.

“The procurement of the radio communication gadgets for the police and other paramilitary organisations throughout the state has been valued at N178,700,000, which has been approved,” he said.

On the 100 units of Kia Rio cars, the commissioner said that they had been branded and would be distributed to all security agencies in the state next week.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

 

David Adeoye: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Defence/Security

Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo

Published

on


The Police Command in Oyo State says it has arrested three more members of the gang that robbed the First Bank branch in Okeho, Kajola Local Government Area of the state.


Olugbenga Fadeyi, the Police Public Relations  Officer (PPRO) in the state, comfirmed the arrest of the suspects in a statement on Tuesday in Ibadan.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the bank was attacked on July 29 by armed robbers who took away an undisclosed amount of money.

Fadeyi, who said that the total number of suspects so far arrested in connection with the robbery was now five, added that they were being interrogated by the Special Anti-Robbey Squad in Ibadan.

He said that the suspects were arrested with the cooperation of vigilance group members, hunters and residents of the community.

NAN reports that the robbers had used dynamite to blow open the security doors  of the bank to gain entry and killed a police sergeant in the process.

The robbers,  who came in an 18-seater bus, were later chased by members of a vigilance group, resulting in their bus summersulting due to overspeeding.

Three of the robbers were set ablaze by an angry mob while others escaped.

(
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM

Published

on


Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.


The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol  Unit on

Tuesday.

The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.

According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.

The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.

“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.

“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary,  Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.

He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.

The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.

“The diplomat commended  efforts of  the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of  55 of the girls,” he said.

Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.

Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.

He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission,  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.

“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.

“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.

“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.

Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19

Published

on


The Oyo State Government has launched a statewide containment and decontamination response initiative to curtail the spread of COVID-19 across the state.


The News Agency of Nigeria reports that a training programme on COVID-19 Decontamination Response Network held at the University of Ibadan on Tuesday ahead of the commencement of the initiative.

The training had in attendance representatives of environmental health officers in all the 33 local government areas which had been divided into seven zones.

In her address at the forum, Prof. Olanike Adeyemo, the state’s Team Lead of the Containment and Decontamination Project, said the initiative would focus on the next phase in the containment of COVID-19 in the state.

COVID-19 has spread beyond Ibadan and what that means is that the government has to be responsive to do what is right.

“You can imagine if there is an incidence in Ibarapa and another one in Iseyin, it would be very difficult for the state containment team to cover all.

“So what the government is doing is to decentralise the containment efforts.

“Containment is not all about decontamination, it is a lot of things, so this is embedded in the local government system. Every local government has an environmental health unit.

“These are the people that are being trained because they are on the staff of the Oyo State government already to be able to take up this task as frontliners,” she said.

Adeyemo said 77 environmental health officers were being trained while each team had been provided with a revolving N500,000 seed grant for the purchase of chemicals and logistics.

She canvassed the need for self policing, adding that compliance  form had been made available to report violators of COVID-19 guidelines.

Speaking on the high rate of COVID-19 cases in the state, Adeyemo said there was the need to work more on compliance to reduce infections.

Adeyemo said: “If you look at the mortality rate and you look at Oyo State and compare it with Edo state that is behind us and you compare the mortality, definitely they are under reporting in those states.

“I think Oyo State is doing more testing and we are reporting a closer to accurate number and that is why we are high there.

“But when you compare the mortality rate for people behind Oyo State on the NCDC list of confirmed cases then you will see that their mortality is higher.

“And it is just science, the more the cases the more likely people will die. So it’s easy to extrapolate that those states that have very high mortality but low numbers of confirmed cases are under reporting.”

NAN reports that Oyo State has the third highest number of COVID-19 cases in Nigeria.

Also speaking, Mr Mojeed Mogbonjubola, the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Governor, said the decentralisation of containment was the initiative of the administration.

“It is quite unfortunate that the pandemic is spreading really wide and we couldn’t contain it in Ibadan.

“What His Excellency is trying to do in conjunction with the University of Ibadan is to extend the committee’s team to other regions of the state.

“This is about a call to service. Like I always advise people it is a privilege for everybody to be part of this and it is something that will stay with us for a very long time.

“Since there is no vaccine to control the virus the only way is to contain it and decontaminate affected zones,” he said.

In his remarks, Alhaji Akeem Azeez, the Personal Assistant to the Governor, urged residents to own their actions as well as their safety since the virus had spread all over the state.

Mr Tunde Adeyanju, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, said there was the need for a very good response in view of the rate of infections in the state.

Prof. Victoria Adetunji, a technical expert in the team, urged participants to adhere to precautions in handling the decontamination equipment while engaging in evaluation of their activities.

NAN reports that the training programme featured presentation of the containment equipment to the seven zones and practical session on mixing chemicals and handling of the equipment.

(
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Lagos COVID-19 recoveries exceed 13,000- NCDC

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has included the number of recovered patients from the Lagos State home-based treatment of COVID-19 in its data, increasing the state’s COVID-19 pandemic recoveries to 13,106.


NCDC made this known on Tuesday in its COVID-19 Situation Report for Aug. 3.

It said that the recovery figure recorded for Lagos includes patients who were successfully treated and discharged from the state’s treatment centres, and those managed at their homes in various communities by the state.

According to NCDC, Abuja has overtaken Lagos with the highest number of active COVID-19 cases in the country.

The data by NCDC shows that Abuja has

2,767 active cases, while Lagos and Oyo States have 2,057 and 1,347 cases respectively.

The health agency added that Lagos accounted for 88 new COVID-19 infections out of the 288 cases reported from 15 states on Aug. 3.

“That brings the state’s total number of infections to 15,355,” NCDC said.

Also, data by the World Health Organisation (WHO), Africa Region, shows that there were 957,905 confirmed COVID-19 cases on the continent, with over 610,000 recoveries and 20,304 deaths.

Edited By: Nick Nicholas/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)

—————-

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger