Pakistan’s COVID-19 infections continued rising on Wednesday, with 50 new cases reported in the last 24 hours, officials said.
The number of coronavirus patients in Pakistan has now reached 245, a Health Ministry spokesperson said.
Prime Minister Imran Khan asked the people to prepare for the pandemic.
“I want to tell you that the virus will spread further in the country,’’ Khan said in a televised address to the nation late Tuesday.
He advised social distancing and against rushing to hospitals with minor symptoms of the disease.
Khan asked people not to panic and said together we will win this war against the virus.
Majority of cases stem from Taftan, a border town, where hundreds of Pakistanis were quarantined after returning from Iran, which has the highest number of cases and deaths behind China and Italy.
The government has taken a number of steps to control the spread of the virus, including closure of educational institutions, ban on public gatherings, sealed border with Iran and Afghanistan and restricted international flights.
On Tuesday, the country’s Civil Aviation Authority said that all international passengers will be required to provide a copy of the test results conducted 24 hours prior to boarding flights into Pakistan.
The measure will go into effect from March 21.
Edited By: Halima Sheji/Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Don’t accept gifts, food from passengers, Police Command in Kebbi warns
- Police arrest man for allegedly defiling daughter in FCT
- First aircraft lands at new Yobe Int’l cargo airport
- Edo Govt. discharges 11 COVID-19 patients
- NSE: Market capitalisation closes upbeat, rises N53bn
- COVID-19: Navy gives palliative to another host Lagos community
- Boko Haram: Gov. Zulum pledges to rebuild houses destroyed in Gajiganna attack
- No COVID-19 Rapid Test Kit approved for use in Nigeria- Council
- Ethiopia records highest daily increase as 137 new COVID-19 cases confirmed
- Kebbi commences sales of subsidised livestock feeds
- Pandemic changes Germans’ eating habits: survey
- Anniversary: Okowa thanks God, seeks prayers for victory over COVID-19
- UAE reports 638 new COVID-19 cases, 33,170 in total
- Finnish ministry wins World No Tobacco Day Award
- COVID-19: Centre sensitises people with disability on virtual communication
- Africa’s number of COVID-19 cases approaching 130,000: Africa CDC
- Int’l conference in Serbia focuses on coronavirus’ impact on global relations
- Ireland’s retail sales in April record largest monthly drop in 11 years
- Australian court orders release of letters to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth surrounding PM sacking
- Police Minister mourns victims of Sokoto State attack