Pakistan seeks multi-billion-dollar bailout from IMF
“Technical discussions for an IMF-supported programme have started,” said Khaqan Najeeb, a spokesman for the Finance Ministry.
The talks for the country’s 13th bailout package since the 1980s are scheduled to last for about 10 days.
A deal is likely to be signed in the second week of May.
The previous round of talks was held in November but remained inconclusive.
Pakistan is expecting a bailout package worth up to eight billion dollars, a senior Finance Ministry official said.
Fiscal and monetary policies, the exchange rate and privatisation of loss-making public-sector entities are up for discussion, among other issues, he said.
The economy of the country of 220 million people has been in crisis since Prime Minister Imran Khan took office in 2018 due to burgeoning fiscal and current account deficits and a huge dip in tax revenues.
The IMF team also met with new chief finance advisor Abdul Hafeez Sheikh, whose appointment was seen as a surprise since his predecessor quit immediately after finalising a deal with the IMF.
Former finance minister Asad Umer was criticised for delaying a decision to seek the bailout package.
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study