By Ismaila Chafe
Abuja, Dec. 14, 2018 (NNN) Retirees under the aegis of the Nigeria Union of Pensioners Contributory Pension Scheme Sector (NUPCPS) have written to President Muhammadu Buhari, applauding his administration as the best in 14 years of the pension scheme.
In a letter dated Dec. 10 and signed by the Chairman of the union, Sylva Nwaiwu, the pensioners said they were registering their “unanimous acknowledgment and commendation of the good performance” of the administration.
A statement issued in Abuja on Friday by the president’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, said the pensioners particularly lauded the Federal Government’s Contributory Pension Scheme sector as well as the Nigerian pension industry in general.
The union, according to the statement, said the consensus was reached during the union’s 3rd Post-inaugural Congress/Interactive Session with the National Pension Commission (PENCOM) held last month in Abuja.
While distancing itself from partisan politicking, NUPCPS said the union was made of “elder statesmen and women who must stand for the truth, no matter whose ox is gored.’’
“We owe no one an apology for expressing the truth we know about the good works of your administration.
“Your administration inherited huge pension liabilities as a result of the excesses and recklessness of the previous administration which mismanaged pension funds meant for the payment of retirement benefits.
“Nevertheless, your contribution in just a few years in office is one of the best we have seen in the 14 years of the existence of the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS) in our nation.
“Your insight, determination, political will and commitment as demonstrated in the release of bailout funds to ameliorate the sufferings of Nigerian workers/pensioners is unequaled and highly appreciated by the union and other stakeholders,’’ the union said.
It also urged the president to “complete the good work you have started” by authorising additional bailout to clear the outstanding backlog from last year.(NNN)
(Edited by Mufutau Ojo)
- TY Danjuma Foundation marks 10 years of philanthropy, promises more on healthcare
- Sudan inaugurates first childhood diabetes centre on World Diabetes Day
- Aisha Buhari inaugurates Kogi Presidential Lodge
- NNPC secures $1.16m US grant for 1,350MW Abuja Power Plant
- Airtel Africa set to expand Nigerian market with additional spectrum
- Group recommends procedures to enhance credibility of LG polls
- Kogi Election: Foundation cautions politicians against violence, malpractices
- Russia will recognise legitimate authorities in Bolivia only after elections – Zakharova
- Accident bureau releases preliminary reports on Air Peace incidents
- NSE market capitalisation inches N245bn, as fixed income instrument yields decline
- Kebbi Govt to disburse N1.5bn loan to livestock farmers
- FG says other options available for social media regulation
- Why we decided to work in harmony with Executive-Lawan
- Buhari writes Scientific Magazine, says planting trees solution to conflicts
- Gov. Ugwuanyi pledges support for indigenous companies to grow
- Kogi poll: Coalition calls for level playing ground for all candidates
- U.S. wants coalition to focus on foreign IS fighters, Africa
- Ember Months: FRSC decry high rate of accidents in Nasarawa
- Yuletide: FRSC harps on safe-driving culture to ensure zero crash, zero fatality
- I told Trump Turkey can’t scrap Russian S-400 system – Erdogan