Prince Victor Uwakwe, the sponsors of the ongoing “ Prince Victor Uwakwe 2019 Tennis Tournament’’ in Enugu has called for all round grassroots sports development in the state.
He said that those who had vision and passion for sports should come in and stage competitions in the sport of their choice.
“Government cannot improve sports alone and to make a better tomorrow, we must start planning today.
“That is what we are doing here and lots of sports in the state are still vulnerable and philanthropist can engage the youth and discover talents,’’ he said.
Uwakwe noted that the ongoing tennis tournament for U-15 and U-21 players is in the third edition.
“We started this tournament in 2016 and here we are, it has continued to grow from strength to strength.
“It is purely for U-15 and U-21 tennis players to showcase their God-given talent in tennis,’’ he said.
Uwakwe said that he decided to expand the tournament to accommodate other states to make it more competitive.
“Our tennis tournament is growing because this time around there are much more competitions than years back.
“We want to produce future champions for the state and the country at large,’’ the sponsor said.
He expressed optimism that invitation would be extended to the South-West states of the country in the next edition.
On why he chose tennis, he said that his passion for the sports motivated him.
“I have passion and love for tennis, besides, it makes people to be disciplined all round,’’ he said.
Uwakwe noted that they had some challenges facing the organisation of the tournament and promised not to relent.
“We are having the challenges of public enlightenment and finance but at times we do mop up funds from friends to keep the tournament going,’’ Uwakwe said.
He said that he would be the happiest person seeing the tennis players going all the way to become the country’s champions and at the world stage.
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45