Transportation Safety Board, on Friday are turning to the travelers’ personal electronics
for potential answers with no black box recorder aboard the helicopter that crashed on January in Calabasas, killing Kobe Bryant
and eight others, investigators with the National.
Investigators hoped the passengers’ cellphones and the pilot’s iPad could help them better understand the chaotic last moments
of the flight before the chopper slammed into a hillside in foggy conditions.
Experts said the helicopter was flying low enough that the activities of the electronics were likely captured by cellphone towers.
The pilot of the Sikorsky S-76B, Ara Zobayan, made his last communication with air traffic control as he climbed to 2,300 feet
heading toward Camarillo in heavy clouds on Jan. 26.
Investigators are seeking to reconstruct what led him to suddenly bank left and descend rapidly just before the crash.
The NTSB is increasingly using personal electronics to help understand aviation disasters, and collecting the devices has become
part of investigative protocol.
According to NTSB member, Jennifer Homendy, shortly after the crash, NTSB immediately swung into action looking for electronic
devices, as we always do.
“We were able to recover an iPad and a cellphone. In the days that followed, investigators recovered additional personal devices
and determined that the iPad belonged to Zobayan.
The NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway, said though, it could be a while, before ascertaining whether there was recoverable data
on the devices.
Investigators will also examine any potential communications from those devices during the flight from John Wayne Airport
in Orange County, where the helicopter took off from.
Meanwhile, the group were heading to Bryant’s Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks for a basketball game.
According to coroner’s reports, when the chopper went down about 40 minutes later, everyone on board died.
They include: Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, Mamba coach Christina Mauser, player Payton Chester and her mother,
Sarah Chester, player Alyssa Altobelli and her parents, John and Keri Altobelli, and Zobayan.
The helicopter had neither a cockpit voice recorder nor a flight data recorder, better known as a black box, for the NTSB to
analyse. However, Federal Aviation Administration regulations did not require the chopper to have such recorders.
But the pilot did have an app loaded on his iPad that allows a pilot to plan a flight and check on weather, terrain, position and
potential hazards in real time from the cockpit.
The ForeFlight app can provide in-flight alerts of changing conditions, and it monitors GPS, speed and other dynamics of the aircraft.
The NTSB, however, said it was unclear whether Zobayan was using the iPad because of the level of destruction during the crash.
A former FAA insp, Gary Lackey, who for years has inspected choppers at Island Express, the operator of the helicopter that
went down, said it was not uncommon to see iPads with ForeFlight mounted for use by pilots.
Veteran aviators, however, said the devices could provide insight into a flight but could also prove to be a distraction.
Meanwhile, information from electronic devices gathered by NTSB investigators had previously helped investigators better
understand why aircraft crashed.
According to the agency Cellphone records are crucial in determining the cause of a fatal crash of a Bell helicopter in New
Mexico in Sept. 2017. The helicopter was flying over open ranch land when it went down.
NTSB determined there was no mechanical failure or malfunction, but the pilot’s cellphone, which was recovered and
reviewed, showed he had called a car rental agency during the flight.
However, the car rental clerk said she could tell the pilot was in a helicopter and that he seemed “busy or distracted.’’
“They were talking about a future rental when the phone disconnected mid-sentence,’’ she said.
“Based on available information, the pilot was likely using his cellphone during the low-altitude flight and became
distracted, which resulted in the controlled flight into terrain,” NTSB said.
Similarly, the likely cause of the fatal crash of a single-engine Cessna airplane near Watkins, in May, 2014, was
revealed by a GoPro camera recovered from the wreckage.
While the crash itself was not captured, the video revealed the pilot and various passengers had been taking
selfies with their phones during a night flight, sometimes using a flash.
The NTSB, however, said that the pilot probably became disoriented and “it is likely that the cellphone used
during the accident flight distracted the pilot and contributed to the development of spatial disorientation and subsequent
lack of control.
In addition to personal electronics, investigators are also likely trying to extract data from the helicopter’s flight management system.
A veteran pilot of Sikorsky helicopters with two decades flying as well as training pilots, Doug Solbrekken, said he suspects the system
would not yield much more than what officials already know from local radar.
“There is still a slim chance that a passenger’s mobile phone or iPad could have been recording at the time of the crash.
“Some pilots also use GoPro-type cameras suction-cupped to the windows, either pointing outside or back into the cockpit or cabin
during flight,” he said.
The FAA in 2014 banned airline pilots from using personal electronic devices, citing them as a distraction.
But general aviation pilots are allowed to use devices such as tablets with programs like ForeFlight. With pilots
who are approved to fly passengers and cargo, the FAA can authorize operators to use electronic devices that can assist pilots.
The U.S. Department of Transportation in 2014 examined the safety of electronic flight devices and personal electronics
used in the cockpit.
However, pilots complained of trouble scrolling and zooming with sometimes incorrect data and said the devices can be
a distraction and sometimes lead to misinterpreted or erroneous aircraft performance parameters.
Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Mrs Akeredolu tasks lecturers, medical students on curbing breast cancer scourge
- We never had contact with Corona virus patient -LUTH
- IWD: FG restates commitment toward ending gender discrimination, social injustice
- Court remands fake travel agent over failure to perfect bail
- First Coronavirus case: Lagos govt. says “no cause for panic”
- Buhari lauds relationship with Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
- INEC promises free, fair, credible by-election in Kwara
- COVID-19: Newcastle stop shaking hands ritual
- NSCDC calls for synergy to tackle hard drug use
- Plateau Govt promises to complete remodelling of NUJ secretariat soon
- Court remands lotto agents for alleged failure to remit over N139,580
- Somali military, militia clash as fight against al Qaeda-linked insurgents slows
- NAF inducts 117 Special Forces
- Court sentences middle-aged man to death by hanging for armed robbery
- Pomp as Lagos Theatre Festival kicks off
- Non-communicable diseases becoming pandemic – Experts
- VW to pay out 1,350 to 6,527 euros to German diesel owners
- BA owner: Coronavirus could push failing airlines over the edge
- Fidelity Bank seeks board approval of 2019 audited financial report March 2
- Cleric gets divorce after accusing wife of bringing lovers home
- Delta Govt reiterates commitment to children’s healthcare
- LASPOTECH’s Mass Communication students sensitise people against cyber crime
- Coronavirus: WHO commends FG’s effort on response
- CONMESS: Osun health workers hail Oyetola, pledge optimal performance
- COVID-19: Nasarawa govt sets up response team
- Committee tasks markets, motor parks managements on daily sanitation
- Don’t panic over confirmed case of COVID-19 – FG
- Hamburg doctor is first coronavirus case in northern Germany
- FRSC mobile court convicts 86 traffic offenders in one week
- ‘The world is on fire,’ Greta Thunberg tells UK climate rally
- Tourism: Nasarawa Govt intensifies effort to develop Farin Ruwa water falls
- Coronavirus deaths in Iran rise to 34, with 388 infected
- Centre extols media for role in anti-corruption campaign
- Child Rights: UNICEF to partner with media to create awareness
- A’Ibom govt warns against illegal mining
- Carpenter in court for allegedly beating, injuring wife
- Security: NGO suggests special protective police unit
- Nigeria Army concludes physical efficiency test in Abuja
- NAFDAC restates commitment to effective drug distribution
- Malaysia uncertainty grows as palace rejects Mahathir plan
- NDLEA files drug trafficking charge against unemployed man
- NGO inaugurates 21 centres for community service in Anambra
- COVID- 19: All contacts with the Italian will be identified – Ogun Govt
- Hygiene, sanitation vital to Lassa fever prevention — Expert
- Japan’s industrial output climbs, unemployment rate up in January
- Group says politicians “out to pull down the sanctity of the Supreme Court”
- USAID partners C’ River govt. in agric financing, investment
- Mechanic remanded for allegedly defiling 10-year-old girl
- Police arrest 33 suspected cultists, armed robbers in Benue-CP
- COVID-19 : Virologist urges FG to identify, quarantine passengers on plane with Italian
- COVID-19: FG commences contact tracing of confirmed case
- NSF 2020: Sports Minister tasks MOC, LOC on hard work
- Cannabis use up 75% among older Americans, but still not common
- Covid-19: MDCAN wants testing laboratory in Kwara
- Putin, Erdogan discuss flare-up in Syria’s Idlib
- Training: Why we give priority to police –Foundation
- Expert urges teachers to adopt feminine approach in teaching sciences, tech
- Lassa Fever: Edo NMA donates items to patients in ISTH
- Investigate allegation against Ogah, youth group pleads with IG
- Turkish economy grew 6% in final quarter of 2019
- Man bags 6 months imprisonment for stealing motorcycle
- Gov. Masari urges FG to strengthen NDLEA to check drug trafficking
- Stocks fall worldwide on coronavirus fears
- Stalemate in Israeli polls ahead of Monday’s election
- NDLEA seizes 53.41kg illicit drugs, arrests 48 suspects in Gombe
- Buhari congratulates Sambo Aliyu on turbaning as Magajin Rafin Gwandu
- VW, consumer protection groups reach diesel settlement in Germany
- Edo 2020: CP reiterates commitment to personnel training
- New Zealand’s PM says Australia’s deportation policy is ‘corrosive’
- Court remands man for peddling 150g of cannabis
- Plateau United condoles with Kano Pillars over manager’s demise
- Greece says tightens sea, land borders after Idlib
- UNFPA WCARO resolves to consider GPHC as strategic issue
- Philippine flag carrier lays off 300 employees amid virus worries
- AFC to hold emergency summit as coronavirus plays havoc
- Seoul announces stimulus package to combat economic impact of virus
- Why GTB will win digital payment space — CEO
- Poland’s Kaczynski hits back at EU criticism over rule of law
- 2 more die of Covid-19 in Japan, raising toll to 10
- Qualify first worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellation
- CHAN partners LGAs to improve healthcare service delivery in Nasarawa
- ”I made a terrible mistake marrying my husband” – Woman tells court.
- Residents of Ibadan experience first rain in 2020
- Pope cancels more meetings after slight illness
- Nasarawa govt. re-constructs Govt. College Keffi road ahead of KOBA 70th anniversary.
- Court remands tailor for allegedly defiling 13-year-old girl
- Shackling unconscious Aboriginal man before death horrific – Coroner
- EU’s Borrell seeks end to Syria escalation, warns of measures
- Duterte formally bans vaping in public places
- New Zealand’s farmers struggle with drought conditions
- NIRSAL partners Microsoft to reduce agricultural risks, attract investors
- FRSC will not condone 2 passengers in front seat – Spokesperson
- Russia sends warships to Syria, blames Ankara for killing of Turkish troops
- South Korea coronavirus infections top 2000, case rate slows in China
- MMIA: FAAN urges passengers not to entertain fear during simulation exercise
- Storm forces cancellation of ski World Cup race in Austria
- South Korean boy band BTS cancels concerts amid coronavirus fears
- Perm. Sec. urges NSE to embrace self development
- Critics urge Nollywood filmmakers to value criticism
- Greta Thunberg to draw thousands at British climate rally
- Indian police arrest over 500 for Delhi sectarian violence
- Taiwan president orders files from martial-law era declassified
- Hundreds of migrants in Turkey head towards EU borders – media
- ‘Don’t jump on every social media trend’ – Experts tell businesses
- Pet dog suspected of having coronavirus quarantined in Hong Kong
- Restrictions eased in New Delhi as riot death toll hits 38
- Japan’s vice justice minister to visit Lebanon over Ghosn case
- U.S. Embassy conducts Hackathon Workshop
- Russia suspends entry of Iranian Nationals amid Coronavirus outbreak
- COVID19: NCDC deploys rapid response teams to Lagos
- Return govt. property in your possession, Gov. Makinde tells ex-office holders
- U.S. provides Defender patrol boats to Djiboutian Navy
- Umrah Suspension: NAHCON urges stakeholders to comply with Saudi Arabia directives
- Nigeria records first case of COVID-19
- Encourage children to explore their creative talent, Curator urges
- Ramping up the fight against Fall Armyworm
- Assistant Minister for Foreign Affairs meets Egypt’s Assistant Foreign Minister for Human Rights and International Humanitarian and Social Affairs
- Lagos Govt confirms first case of COVID-19
- Ighalo scores as Manchester United, Wolves, Roma move into last 16, FC Porto, Arsenal, Ajax out
- Demand to declare Orji Kalus’s seat vacant presumptuous – Onuoha-Bourdex
- NAN Correspondent wins 2019 Best Sports Reporter in Kwara
- Insurgency: NYSC organises tournament for peace, unity in Borno
- Council inducts 34 veterinary doctors from Michael Okpara varsity
- SMW 2020: Mixed reactions trail Social Media, Hate Speech Commission Bills
- Gov. Ganduje lays foundation of military training facility in Falgore Forest
- Nigeria’s 2020 Finance Act ‘ll end tax multiplicity- FIRS Coordinator
- Police regular capacity building will check crime, says Retired DIG Ajao
- NDHS survey shows only 31% Nigerians received basic vaccination
- Enugu LG election: PDP chairmanship candidate calls for peaceful election
- Minister advises state govt. to set up ministry of science and technology
- Senator earns only N700,000 monthly, not jumbo pay – Bashiru
- NBTI D-G advocates food processing industries in Benue
- Erratic power supply, others hinder 5G development in Nigeria- NCC
- Gov. Mohammed chairs PDP 2019 general elections review committee
- Ebonyi govt lauds American group for free healthcare to indigent children
- NASS decries poor researches on indigenous agricultural seeds
- Court remands Mama Boko Haram, 3 others over alleged N42m fraud
- Buhari condoles with Emir Sanusi over uncle’s death
- Establish Entertainment Ministry, veteran actor, Lari Williams, urges FG
- Kwara Govt seeks measures to improve cocoa export
- Katsina Transport Authority explains hike in transport fare
- NDE creates 40,000 new jobs for unemployed Nigerians – D-G
- Court remands 2 men over alleged culpable homicide, membership of secret society
- Tokyo 2020 tickets goes between $32 & $33 — Agent
- 64th UNCSW: FG says gender inclusion, health, poverty top Nigeria’s agenda
- FCTA warns school principals against disobedience, dereliction
- Senate proposes stiffer sanctions for gas flaring from 2021
- Oyo govt. ‘ll take proactive measures to curb clashes in public schools
- Nigerians want FG to deepen efforts in preventing Covid-19
- Institute exposes youth farmers to new water management technology for wheat prodcution
- Polish-Sudanese political consultations in Warsaw
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Opens the Ethiopian Trade and Cultural Week
- ‘Amotekun’: German lawmaker expresses optimism in security outfit
- Problem of Nigerian Judiciary is capacity, not independence – Sen. Basiru
- OYRTMA to partner LGs, LCDAs on rehabilitation of rural roads
- Lagos to build e-agriprenuers to drive agriculture, digital marketing- Commissioner
- Gov. Lalong congratulates Gen. Bali @80
- Expert calls for sensitisation of miners, solid minerals’ stakeholders
- EFCC arrests 3 for allegedly duping Ibadan high chief, Lekan Balogun, of 300m
- Nasarawa Govt. reiterates readiness to revitalise tourist centres to boost IGR
- Court declares Dep. Gov. Achuba’s removal illegal, null, void
- Kalasha International TV and Film Market 2020
- Court declares PDP had no candidate in Kogi Governorship Election
- Guinea: UK statement on upcoming elections and referendum
- SMW 2020: FG should build sustainable models to bridge skills gap — Panelists
- ITF trains, empowers 450,000
- Former Deputy Gov. urges Zamfara Commissioners to support the poor
- Ogun govt. assures better learning environment in tertiary institutions
- Speaker of the Senate of Kenya received the Ambassador of Cuba
- Gov. Lalong mourns AIG Ali Jos
- Syria says civilian killed in Israeli drone strike in Golan Heights
- Namibian cosmetics go global
- NSE: Depressed sentiment, unimpressive earnings take toll on trading
- Security man nabbed over death of girl friend in Ekiti
- Gov. Ugwuanyi receives 20th NSF’s Torch of Unity, commends Sports Ministry
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes European Union contribution of €11 million to fight Desert Locust outbreak
- SMW 2020: Activist, tech enthusiasts want private sector collaboration for better Nigeria
- PAACA trains traditional, religious leaders on using FOI to fight corruption
- Huawei to build first European 5G factory in France to soothe Western nerves
- Don’t allow anything to disrupt peace in Ibadan, Bishop Wale-Oke urges residents
- Kwara Volleyball Association discovers new talent, reinforces team
- Germany’s Maas calls attacks on civilians in Idlib ‘war crimes’
- Minister commends Rotary Club’s gesture to FCT healthcare delivery
- Minimum Wage: Controversy trails implementation of consequential adjustment in Adamawa
- Edo 2020: MOC, LOC to inspect facilities, venues
- 1,083 road crashes involving trailers, tankers recorded in 2019 – FRSC
- UMTH holds tender bid for capital projects
- Ogun ICT Poly launches environmental corps
- AEDC wants FG to waive import duties on meters
- Corruption: NDE trains personnel on public procurement compliance
- Olympics Qualifiers: Toriola, Oshonaike on course to make history
- Businesses enjoy environment when symbiotic relationship exist — Lagos Speaker
- Greece worries about migrant camps as coronavirus takes hold
- Insecurity: Cleric advocates adequate priority for youth development
- Minister of Foreign Affairs meets with Minister of State in charge of Human Rights and Relations with the Parliament of Kingdom of Morocco in Geneva
- Britain, on trade collision course with EU, says it could walk away
- UDUS mulls establishment of Infectious Disease Center
- Food security: FG warns agricultural stakeholders against fake seeds
- FIDA urges mothers to speak out against incest in society
- Kwara records 76 fire incidents in 2 months – Official