Plateau Government has earmarked N1 billion for the conduct of elections in four Local Government Areas of the state in its 2020 budget.
Mr. Sylvester Wallangko, the state’s Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planing disclosed during the breakdown of the budget on Monday in Jos.
The Nigeria News Agency reports the state had in October 2018 conducted elections in 13 out of the 17 local government areas of the state.
Riyom, Barkin Ladi, Jos South and Jos North local government areas were exempted from the earlier election.
Government cited security challenge as rationale for exempting the fours councils and appointed Management Committee Chairmen who are currently manning the councils.
The Commissioner who did not give date for the conduct of the polls, said the money allotted would be for the purchase of election materials.
“As you all know, government is yet to conduct election in four local government areas, so it has earmarked N1 billion to enable the state Independent Electoral Commission (PLASIEC) to get election materials,” he said
NAN reports that Gov. Simon Lalong, had in October 2019 appointed Chairmanship candidates of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to head the affected councils.
The move was widely criticised but the appointments were renewed for six months in December 2019 by the state House of Assembly.
Edited by: Maharazu Ahmed
- Insecurity: CSOs call FG to intensify effort to allow farmers access farmlands
- COVID 19: Foundation begins online medical intervention
- COVID-19: PTF reverts govt working hours to 8a.m. to 4p.m. for GL 12 upward
- NIPC boss considers Shoprite strategic investment in Nigeria
- UNDP, EU want strong legislation to end rape, violence against women
- Buhari sympathises with Lebanon over massive explosions
- Post-COVID-19: Feed miller urges youths to embrace agribusiness for sustainability to embrace agribusiness for sustainability
- COVID-19: United States lifts global travel advisory
- Prof. Sule, Plateau SUBEB boss, gets fresh tenure
- SSANU, NASU threaten strike over unresolved issues with FG