Connect with us

General news

Plateau Govt.says no plans to install community leader in Jos South LGA

Published

on

Plateau Govt.says no plans to install community leader in Jos South LGA

The Plateau Government on Saturday said it had no plans to install any ”Sarkin Kerana” in Bukuru, Jos South Local Government Area.


Mr Dan Manjang, the state Commisioner for Information, said this in a statement he issued on behalf of the government, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria in Jos.

According to the government, the purported  invitation to the installation ceremony of “Sarkin Kerana” , is the handiwork of mischief makers.

“The attention of the Plateau State Government has been drawn to a purported invitation for the installation of one Alhaji Samaila Abdullahi as the Sarkin Kerana in Bukuru, Jos South Local Government Area, trending on the social media.

“The said invitation is purported to originate from a non-existent Bukuru Emirate Council.

”This is clearly the handwork of mischief makers and crisis merchants, who are determined to instigate crisis and generate a breach of the peace that is currently prevailing in the State,” it said.

Government said it viewed the act of the mischief makers as an attempt to derail efforts at reuniting the people, as well as engendering the peaceful atmosphere being enjoyed  since 2016.

It warned that it would  not fold its arms to allow such mischief makers tamper with the peace of Jos South, or that of the entire state by inciting people against one another.

Government urged people of Bukuru and the entire state, to ignore the purported installation and go about their normal businesses.

“All residents of Plateau should be vigilant to report any suspicious activity to the law enforcement agencies.

“Already, Security agencies are currently tracking those behind this mischief, and will bring them to book immediately they are apprehended,” it said.

Edited By: Chidinma Agu (NAN)

 

Thompson Yamput: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed

Published

on


The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the roll out of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.


The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to a hold after it was launched in six states.

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls the roll out of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February, 2018.

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructure of the industry.

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19

Published

on


The Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, says 32 federal, state and private universities across all geopolitical zones are involved in different stages of research toward tackling direct and collateral impacts of COVID-19.


Rasheed, who was represented by Dr Suleiman Yusuf, Deputy Executive Secretary, Academics, made this known in Abuja on Tuesday at a news briefing on the contribution of the Nigerian University System toward mitigating the impact of COVID-19.

He noted that the research would be building up over the coming months.

According  to him,  the universities will not relent on their efforts until COVID-19 was consigned to history and lessons learned for tackling future national epidemics and global pandemics.

” As at June 22, not less than 32 universities are involved in different stages of research aimed at galvanising research toward the development of vaccines and non vaccines.

“As in many other parts of the world, the pandemic has challenged our knowledge system, which has proved inadequate and insufficiently robust enough to respond to the challenges.

“Only few institutions have been able to utilise open and distance learning system to keep students engaged while the pandemic lasted and only few laboratories continued with research and development activities.

” Nonetheless, the few who engaged in research and innovation work have demonstrated the need for a well-funded and robustly organised national research and innovation system to catalyse the national

response,” he said.

Rasheed added that in the area of Genomic research, the African Centres of Excellence (ACE), particularly the Centre for the Genomics of Infectious Diseases at the Redeemer’s University, Ede was collaborating with the University of Cambridge for the development of vaccines.

He said that other ACEs in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Universities of Lagos, Benin, Port Harcourt and Jos,  which served as national

testing and screening centres had proved that world-class research and development was possible in Nigeria.

He, therefore, added that the country’s university system could be readily effective and relevant to national development if research was valued and adequately funded and the institutions provided with resources to motivate researchers and innovators including students.

On the current efforts of herbal remedies, Rasheed said the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari on herbal and natural products development was acknowledged, following the great demonstration of enviable political leadership by the President of Madagascar.

“Such will go a long way to motivate homegrown developments and innovation in science and technology by the NUC, including anti COVID-19 human immunity boosting foods.

“Furthermore, Nigeria needs to develop homegrown capabilities in the production and manufacture of the most basic medical and pharmaceutical products such as PPEs, WASH accessories, and ventilators.

” Limited developments are reported from the few ongoing research, but these give some hope that the NUC can provide the R&D base for responding to these needs and much needed structural reconfiguration of the economy.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ford Motor’s CEO steps down amid waning investors’ confidence

Published

on


The Chief Executive Officer of Ford Motor Company, Jim Hackett, is stepping down on Oct. 1 after three years at the helm.


In a statement on Tuesday, the American multinational automaker said Hackett would be succeeded by Jim Farley, its Chief Operating Officer.

According to reports, Hackett’s exit is coming amid the company’s $11 billion (N4 trillion) global restructuring programme said to be floundering.

Reuters reports that the No. 2 United States carmaker also “faces slumping demand in China, its second-largest market’’.

The 65-year-old outgoing CEO failed to secure investors’ confidence in his leadership amid a sharp crash in the value of the company’s stock under his watch.

Under his leadership, Ford has struggled with product launch problems involving the Ford Explorer, the Lincoln Navigator and the Police Interceptor.

But shares of the company rose by 2.8 per cent in early trading, on Tuesday, according to the news agency.

Farley, 58, joined Ford in 2007 and headed the company’s new businesses, technology and strategy group before being named COO in March.

He will be the Ford’s fourth chief executive officer since the 2008 economic crash, reports say.

Edited By: Josephine Obute/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences driver to 2 years in prison for stealing car

Published

on


An Upper Area Court, sitting in Kasuwan Nama in Jos, on Tuesday, sentenced a 30-year-old driver, Victor Jonah, to two years imprisonment for stealing a car.


The Judge, Lawal Suleiman, sentenced Jonah after he pleaded guilty to stealing the car.

Suleiman, however, gave the convict option to pay N50, 000 or to spend two years in prison.

He said the judgment would serve as deterrent to those who would want to indulge in such criminal act of stealing.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Monday Dabit, told the court that the case was reported at the A Division Police station on July 14 by one Victor Kadu of Jenta Adamu, the complainant.

Dabit said that the convict stole the car from where the owner had parked it.

According to the prosecutor, during police investigation, the car was found in the accused possession, an offense the prosecutor said is contrary to sections 272 of the Penal Code of Plateau.

Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19 Gov. Ugwuanyi distributes CACOVID palliative in Enugu Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa 22 ships discharging petrol, other items at Lagos port — NPA China’s A-share market sees IPO boom in July Lagos COVID-19 recoveries exceed 13,000- NCDC Ford Motor’s CEO steps down amid waning investors’ confidence IOM opens legal facility in Edo for victims of trafficking KTSG to complete ongoing projects by 2022 – Gov Masari FG unveils amended Broadcasting Code says unperturbed by blackmail Sule charges Nasarawa youths to embrace govt. programmes FHC Chief Judge, family members test negative for COVOD-19 after 2 weeks Estate agent, 62, faces property conversion charge Benue Assembly confirms appointment of new Commissioner for Health Kwara deputy gov, wife test positive for COVID-19 Nasarawa NUJ condemns attack, killing of ex-treasurer Court dissolves 5-year-old marriage over battery, adulterous attitude Obaseki’s “MEGA” manifesto will address post-COVID-19 economic shocks in Edo – Aide Ikeja Lions Club donates to orphanage 774,000 Jobs: Committee dispatches 18,900 forms for distribution in Imo  Gombe State Govt. approves 230 hectares of land for Air Force operational base Alleged Money Laundering: EFCC rearraigns ex-AGF Adoke Buhari salutes Abdul-Samad Rabiu at 60 Resumption: Okota-Isolo maintain COVID-19 rules, as schools resume for SS3 students Man, 22, docked over alleged motorcycle theft Court remands 2 men for alleged unlawful possession of gun, threat to life Ogun schools comply with COVID-19 protocols as students resume Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka Sales representative docked for alleged impersonation FIRS clarifies NIPOST’s stamp duty claims