Mr Yakubu Datti, Commissioner of Lands, Survey and Town Planning, on Thursday issued 238 Certificates of Occupancy (Cs of O), and 815 Right of Occupancy (R of O), in Jos.
Dati, in a speech at the ceremony, said that government was committed to restoring confidence and guaranteeing access to land titles for the citizens.
He said that government had simplified land documentation technology via the Plateau State Geographic Information System (PLAGIS), to enable applicants get their documentation within 21 days.
“The ministry has keyed into the Plateau State Development Plan and has embarked on reorientation and human capital development.
“PLAGIS is gradually eradicating past sharp practices and unnecessary bottlenecks to ensure effective and efficient land documentation through the application of technology,” he said.
He advised members of the public and organisations to ensure they were up to date with their titled documents as the ministry would soon apprehend and prosecute defaulters.
Dati said that titled documents would enable owners to access loan and fast track the ease of doing business within the state.
Court sentences 2 labourers to 4 years imprisonment each for stealing
An Upper Area Court sitting in Kasuwan Nama in Jos on Tuesday sentenced two labourers to four years each imprisonment for stealing a cell phone.
The police charged Usman Abdullahi,20, and Suleiman Yahaya,22, with conspiracy and theft.
The Judge, Lawal Suleiman sentenced Usman and Yahaya after they pleaded guilty to the offense.
Suleiman, however, gave the convicts option to pay N40, 000 each or to spend two years in prison for theft, N10, 000 each or a year for conspiracy and N15, 000 each as compensation or another one year in prison.
He said the judgment would serve as deterrent to those who would want to indulge in such criminal act of stealing.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp. Ibrahim Gokwat, told the court that the case was reported at the Laranto Police station on July 5 by one Phoebe Zakka of Farin Gada Jos, who was the complainant.
Gokwat said that the convicts conspired and attacked the complainant on her way to the bank and collected her phones valued at N35, 500.
The prosecutor said that the offence contravened the provisions of sections 57 and 272 of the Penal Code of Plateau.
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off
The 30-day exercise was started on July 24.
The Fleet Commander said that the successes were based on the collaboration between the Navy and the Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) facilities which made vectore, intercept and interrogation easier.
He also said that four suspects were arrested along with 8x50litres jerry cans filled with PMS in additiin to several other empty jerry cans.
“These arrests were made between July 27 and Aug. 3 at Idi-Mango in Abule Glass Akaraba area,” he said.
He said that the Nigerian Navy would not relent in its efforts until it had provided the necessary and conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out their legitimate maritime-related business.
“Based on operation posture of Western Naval Command underlined by foregoing successes against perpetrators of criminalities within the nation’s maritime environment,I hereby restate that the Nigerian Navy will not rest to its oars until it has provided necessary conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out legitimate theurtheir maritime-re business.
“May I further request that as partners in progress, members of the public are free to divulge credible information to the units in your localities to enable it to get rid of all forms of criminalities,” he said.
He said eight ships, two helicopters and a detachment of NN Special Boat Service (SBS) participated in the exercise.
NAN reports that the Command had earlier engaged in a series of exercises and operations such as: OPERATION JUNCTION RAIN, EXERCISE SWIFT RESPONSE, EXERCISE ATEGUN ALAFIA, EXERCISE OKUN ALAFIA I, TREASURE GUARD II .
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Peter Dada (NAN)
38-year-old man accused of raping a minor, tells court it was a frame up
A 38-year-old man, Mark Amos, standing trial at the Plateau State High Court for allegedly raping an eight-year-old, has told the court that he was framed up.
On arraignment, he told the court that he was framed up by the minor for no justifiable reason.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Mrs L.P Fombot of the state Ministry of Justice, had told the court that Amos, a resident of Lamingo Estate in Jos East Local Government area, committed the act.
She said that Amos committed the crime by luring the minor into his room and had carnal knowledge of her.
The prosecutor said that the offence contravened Section 208 of the Plateau State Penal Code and punishable by life imprisonment if convicted.
The accused in his statement said: “I accommodated the said victim and her aunt, one Miss Patience, in one of the rooms in our compound when she had problems and needed accommodation.
“I noticed that aunt always beat the little girl.
“On that day she was beaten by her aunty again so I asked her to come into my room as I wanted to help her.
“I left her in the room and went to take my bath, but when I returned I didn’t see her again. The next day her aunt reported to the police that I raped her niece.
“I did not do it, she framed me up, her aunty once told me the girl was used to framing people up,” he said.
The victim, in her statement to the police, however, said that the accused had carnal knowledge of her four times and that she could no longer bear it and had to report him to her aunt.
She said the accused person always warned her not to disclose the act to anybody.
Justice S.P Gang ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody until Aug. 20 for hearing.
Edited By: Emmanuel Nwoye/Tajudeen Atitebi (NAN)
COVID-19: Virologist urges scientific proof for discoveries
He said that the current spate of controversies and conspiracy theories about the Coronavirus were either manufactured or circulated by people who were not core medical scientists.
He decried the way some medical scientists neglected the proper culture of scientific communication and adopted other means of forcing their claims on the public.
“Scientist should endeavour to present clear scientific data to appropriate approving authorities to verify their claims and to pass an objective verdict.
“Appropriate scientific communication is done through scientific publications, which may either be full length research papers, case reports or even short communication.
“Evidences or claims should be presented in a documented manner through scientifically approved journals or editorials, and the scientific community must read and perform systematic reviews or meta-analysis of the data generated,” he said.
The scientist noted that unfortunately there was an upsurge in verbal, emotional, confrontational and near political crusades by some medical scientists who had either resorted to the use of social media platforms or some conventional media.
This act, he said, fell short of their expectations as scientists and weakened the scientific engagement on peer review platforms.
“I urge scientists to regroup and reconsider their approach to science communication in this era of the pandemic as it would eliminate unnecessary controversies.
“Efforts should also be geared toward generating information and inventions that the world so long for to tackle the pandemic.”
The virologist noted that controversies were part of the evolution of new knowledge or paradigm shift in science.
He, however, added that new knowledge must be communicated rightly with modesty, clear and verifiable evidence to back up claims.
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Donald Ugwu (NAN)