The police on Wednesday arraigned a 20-year-old man, Ilesanmi Tope, over alleged defilement of a minor.
The defendant, who is of no fixed address, was charged with rape before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale, told the court that the defendant defiled a two-year-old girl on March 28 in Ikoro-Ekiti in Ijero local government area of Ekiti.
Oriyomi said that the victim and her elder sister were playing in front of their house when the defendant suddenly took away the victim from her sister.
He said the elder sister went inside the house to call the attention of their grandmother to what happened, but before they got to his house, he had allegedly defiled the girl, with blood all over her body.
He said the offence contravened Section 31(2) of the Child’s Right Law of Ekiti State, 2012.
The prosecutor told the court that the duplicate file had been sent to Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) office for legal advice.
The plea of the defendant was not taken.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olanike Adegoke, ordered that the defendant be kept in custody pending issuance of legal advice from DPP.
Adegoke adjourned the case until April 22 for mention.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Wale Ojetimi
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House
- Trump seeks full withdrawal from Afghanistan without setting date
- Sydney Film Festival launches online program
- Uganda approves return of citizens stranded abroad over COVID-19
- Kyoto animation studio arson suspect arrested on suspicion of murder
- COVID-19 cluster detected on Australian live animal export ship
- Suspect in deadly arson attack at Kyoto animation studio arrested
- Urgent: 5.0-magnitude quake hits 92km S of Ierapetra, Greece — USGS
- Foreign-owned firms support over 730,000 jobs in California