A 27-year-old man, Chris Wealth, on Friday appeared before an Ogbeson Magistrates’ Court in Benin, for allegedly beating up a woman using his fist.
The defendant, whose address was not provided, was arraigned on a count charge of assault, but he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, Insp Charity Asemota, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on June 6, at No. 1, Brizo St., off Lucky Way, Benin.
Asemota said the defendant unlawfully assaulted one Blessing Sunday, by giving her several fist blows on different parts of her body, causing her to sustain injuries.
She said the offence contravened Section 351 of the Criminal Code Cap. 48 Vol. 11 Law of the defunct Bendel State of Nigeria, 1976, now applicable in Edo.
If found guilty, section 351 prescribes one year jail term for assault.
The Chief Magistrate, Mutairu Oare, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50,000 with one surety in like sum.
Oare said that the surety must be resident within the jurisdiction of the court, and adjourned the case until July 13 for further hearing.
Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Ejike Obeta (NAN)
- Indonesia’s Mount Sinabung erupts for third time in a week
- Petroleum tankers drivers begin strike
- 4 drown in dangerous currents on Dutch coast
- NDLEA seizes 3,546kg hard drugs, arrests 205 suspects in FCT
- Iran says GCC call for Tehran arms embargo extension is ‘unrealistic’
- Poland’s PM wants special EU summit on Belarus
- Port Harcourt DisCo revokes electric bill distribution by contractors
- Six killed in south-western Pakistan blast, multiple wounded
- New CAMA will boost foreign direct investment — Capital market operators
- Driver bags 14 imprisonment for stealing tricycle windshield, stereo