The police on Thursday arraigned the chairman of Gosa market association, Kalu Peter, in a Lugbe Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly defrauding a trader of N150,000.
Peter, is charged with two counts of breach of trust and cheating.
The Prosecution Counsel, Austin Urom, told the court that Mr Nelson Emmanuel of Gosa Angwan tailor Airport road reported the matter at the Iddo Police Station, Abuja, on April 21.
Urom alleged that on Dec. 20, 2018 the defendant, collected N150, 000 from the complainant to buy bell of second-hand clothes for him.
He alleged that the defendant failed to deliver the said bell of clothes and the N150, 000 to the complainant.
Urom said that all efforts made by the complainant to collect the money, failed.
The prosecutor told the court that on April 20, the defendant wrote an undertaking to pay N40,00 monthly but also defaulted.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions 0f sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.
The defendant pleaded not guilty
Mr Mabam-okeh Celestine, Counsel to Peter, made an oral application for the bail of the defendant, citing Sections 35 (4) and 36 (5) of the 1999 Constitution.
Celestine also cited Sections 158, 161 and 165 (2) of the Administration of the Criminal Justice Act.
He also told the court that the defendant will not jump bail nor intimidate the witness in or any further investigation in the case.
The prosecutor, however, did not oppose the oral application for bail of the defendant.
The judge, Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq,admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50, 000 with a reasonable surety in like sum.
Sadiq ordered that the surety must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and adjourned the case until Sept. 12 for hearing.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union