The police on Thursday arraigned the chairman of Gosa market association, Kalu Peter, in a Lugbe Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly defrauding a trader of N150,000.
Peter, is charged with two counts of breach of trust and cheating.
The Prosecution Counsel, Austin Urom, told the court that Mr Nelson Emmanuel of Gosa Angwan tailor Airport road reported the matter at the Iddo Police Station, Abuja, on April 21.
Urom alleged that on Dec. 20, 2018 the defendant, collected N150, 000 from the complainant to buy bell of second-hand clothes for him.
He alleged that the defendant failed to deliver the said bell of clothes and the N150, 000 to the complainant.
Urom said that all efforts made by the complainant to collect the money, failed.
The prosecutor told the court that on April 20, the defendant wrote an undertaking to pay N40,00 monthly but also defaulted.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions 0f sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.
The defendant pleaded not guilty
Mr Mabam-okeh Celestine, Counsel to Peter, made an oral application for the bail of the defendant, citing Sections 35 (4) and 36 (5) of the 1999 Constitution.
Celestine also cited Sections 158, 161 and 165 (2) of the Administration of the Criminal Justice Act.
He also told the court that the defendant will not jump bail nor intimidate the witness in or any further investigation in the case.
The prosecutor, however, did not oppose the oral application for bail of the defendant.
The judge, Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq,admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50, 000 with a reasonable surety in like sum.
Sadiq ordered that the surety must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and adjourned the case until Sept. 12 for hearing.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- Wrongful death trial over ‘Walking Dead’ stuntman begins
- Israeli parliament set to dissolve itself, head into third elections
- House Democrats announce 2 articles of impeachment against Trump
- Nigeria, Brazil strengthen ties to boost economy, counter insecurity
- Gov. Matawalle warns mischief makers
- NJ Ayuk’s book Billions at Play: The Future of African Energy and Doing Deals now available in Spanish
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members