The Police, on Thursday, docked a 23-year-old motorcyclist, Gajega Saidu in a Lugbe Senior Magistrates’ Court, Abuja for allegedly receiving a stolen cell phone.
Saidu, who resides in Area 1, Abuja, was docked on a charge bordering on receiving stolen property, the offence, he denied committing.
The prosecuting counsel, Mr O. A. Olaofe, told the court that a case of conspiracy and theft was reported at the Trademore Police Station on Aug. 18 against Abdulrasheed Adeleke and Jamilu Ibrahim.
Olaofe said that during police interrogation, Adeleke and Ibrahim confessed that they stole one Tecno Spark 3 phone valued N34,000, belonging to Elizabeth Hussein of Gosa village, Abuja.
The prosecutor said that the defendant, who was aware that Adeleke and Ibrahim stole the phone, dishonestly bought the it from them at the sum of N34, 000.
She said that the defendant was arrested during police investigation, but could not give a satisfactory account of how he got the phone.
According to Olaofe, the offence contravenes the provisions of Section 317 of the Penal Code.
The Senior Magistrate, Aminu Ali Eri, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100, 000, with one surety in like sum.
Eri ordered that the surety must reside within the jurisdiction of the court and his address must be verified by the prosecutor.
He adjourned the case until Sept. 11 for hearing.
Police arrest 23 criminals in Kabul
The Afghan police have arrested 23 individuals on charge of involvement in various crimes over the past two days in Kabul, the Interior Ministry said on Tuesday.
The arrested men, according to a statement released by the ministry, were involved in theft, murder, disturbing public orders and holding illegal arms in and outside the capital city.
Seven pistols, two vehicles, three daggers and a fake vehicle’s number-plate have also been confiscated from the possession of arrested during the operations, added the statement.
Police patrol teams also arrested 10 outlaws and seized a large amount of narcotics elsewhere in the country on Monday, it said.
New York City Police Department to disband plainclothes anti-crime unit
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) will transition some 600 plainclothes anti-crime officers to other assignments including neighborhood policing and detective work, the NYPD commissioner said on Monday.
At a press conference at the NYPD headquarters in Lower Manhattan, Commissioner Dermot Shea said it is “a seismic shift in the culture of how the NYPD polices this great city.”
Officers of the anti-crime unit specialize in undercover operations and perform patrol services in unmarked vehicles, in an attempt to spot criminals of usually violent crimes.
The unit has caused some tension between the NYPD and the community. According to The New York Times, it has been involved in some of the city’s most notorious police shootings.
The overhaul is also “in the realm of closing one of the last chapters of stop-question-and-frisk,” said Shea, referring to a controversial policing practice that often targets minorities.
“What we always struggle with, I believe, as police executives, is not keeping crime down — it’s keeping crime down and keeping the community working with us,” said the commissioner.
“I think it’s time to move forward and change how we police in this city. We can do it with brains. We can do it with guile. We can move away from brute force,” he added.
The announcement came after weeks of protests against police brutality in the city, during which a number of officers were disciplined for using heavy-handed tactics toward largely peaceful protesters, and one was charged with assault, criminal mischief, harassment and menacing for shoving a woman to the ground.
However, Shea noted on Monday that it is a policy shift “coming from me personally” instead of any reflection on NYPD officers, adding that discussions about the overhaul had occurred for about a year.
Last week, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law a police reform agenda that would ban chokeholds by police and allow for transparency of offices’ disciplinary records, among other reforms.
One feared dead in Kwara communal clash – Police
The Police Command in Kwara has confirmed the killing of one person in a communal clash that ensued between some herdsmen and the indigenes of Lata in the Patigi Local Government Area.
The spokesman of the command, DSP Ajayi Okasanmi, while confirming the development, however, noted that normalcy had returned to the area.
The News Agency of Nigeria gathered that many sustained varying degrees of injuries in the incident, which happened on Sunday.
Dangerous weapons such as knives, cutlasses were reportedly used by the people, while the crisis lasted, pandemonium was said to have enveloped the agrarian community.
Okasanmi said, “we learned that some indigenes of Lata community accused the herdsmen of riding motorcycles in dangerous and rough manner.
“The Fulani herdsmen were confronted and an altercation ensued between the two parties over the way they were acting.
“It was gathered that one of the herdsmen sustained serious wound during the melee that followed,” he said.
The Police spokesperson said this made the herdsmen to mobilise for a reprisal attack on the indigenes leading to the death of one person.
According to him, many others from both parties sustained varying degrees of injuries.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Felix Ajide (NAN)
Police places N5m bounty on Adamu Aliero-Yankuzo, Katsina bandits kingpin
Katsina State Police Command has declared one Adamu Aliero-Yankuzo, Katsina bandits kingpin, wanted, and placed N5 million bounty on his head, dead or alive.
Aliero-Yankuzo, aged 45, is believed to be leading bandits operations that led to many deaths in Katsina and Zamfara states.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Sanusi Buba, made this known on Monday in Katsina during a press briefing.
“The command hereby wish to declare Adamu Aliero, 45, of Yankuzo village of Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State wanted.
“Aliero, is a notorious leader of groups of bandits terrorising Katsina and Zamfara States.
“Similarly, the command has placed bounty of N5 million on his head, dead or alive.
“Any person or group of persons that have useful information that may lead to his arrest, should please report to the nearest police station or call these numbers: 08033666059 or 08035448128 or 08076666207,” he said.
Buba revealed that the command had carried out various sting operations after the Kadisau village attack, where over 20 people were killed by bandits.
According to him, during the operations, two bandits, Bello Usman and Usman Sule, were arrested.
“In the course of investigation, one of the suspects, Bello Usman, confessed to have participated in the attacks and killings at Kadisau village of Faskari and others at Musawa, Matazu, Karaduwa and Yantumaki.
“The suspect also stated that the attack was masterminded by a notorious kingpin of bandits, Adamu Aliero Yankuzo, in protest of the arrest of his son, Suleiman Adamu Aliero, 24, by the police”.
The police commissioner said that the suspects also confessed to have killed several villagers, rustled animals and kidnapped four women during the attack.
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)