The police on Wednesday arraigned a taxi driver, Saheed Yusuf, in a Grade I Area Court, Nyanya sitting in Mpape, Abuja, for allegedly cheating a businessman of N42, 500.
Yusuf, who lives in Arab village Mpape, Abuja is charged with cheating.
The Prosecution Counsel, Mr Noel Omeji, told the court that Mr Oyeleye Clement, reported the matter at Mpape Police Station on May 7.
Omeji said that in April, the defendant was entrusted with a Nissan car with registration number YAB 407 ZK for commercial purpose.
He said the defendant absconded with the car and converted N42, 500 realised from the taxi business to his personal use.
The offence, he said, contravened the provision of Section 322 of the Penal Code.
After the charge was read to Yusuf, he pleaded not guilty.
Chief Magistrate Abdullahi Ogedengbe admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50,000 with one surety in like sum.
Ogedengbe ordered that the surety must reside within the jurisdiction of the court.
He adjourned the case until June 18, for hearing.
- Germany urges dialogue between Turkey, Greece in eastern Mediterranean gas row
- Former Angolan leader’s son given 5 years in prison for graft — report
- DSS cautions against inciting, unguarded statements
- Fact checking: Media expert urges journalists to shun fake news during Edo, Ondo polls
- Digital identification will fast track issuance of facilities — NIS
- India to mark Independence Day amid tight security, social distancing
- England resumes lockdown easing, stiffens punishment for rule breaches
- Ex-Edo assembly speaker seeks court’s protection over alleged planned arrest
- You must undertake to finish Evans’s case, judge tells 5th counsel
- One dies in Anambra auto accident, FRSC