Connect with us

Defence/Security

Police arrest 2 Civilian JTF members, one other over alleged maltreatment of children in Borno

Published

on

The Borno Police Command says it has arrested three persons who appeared in a video brutalising two underaged boys over alleged theft of N30,000 in Maiduguri.

The Police Commissioner, Muhammed Aliyu disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Maiduguri.

Aliyu said two of the suspects were members Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF).

NAN report that the arrest followed a video which went viral showing the CJTF officials allegedly beating up the boys, whose hands were tied backward.

Aliyu said that the suspects were apprehended by other members of the CJTF, adding they would soon be charged to court.

Reacting, Jibril Gunda, The CJTF Legal Adviser, said the two CJTF members from Sector 10 formation had been dismissed from service.

Gunda said the two boys (names withheld) were said to have been taken to the CJTF formation for interrogation by members of their families.

According to him, while undergoing the interrogation, a member of their family took a video footage and placed it on the social media, which provoked public outcry.

“We immediately identified the two CJTF members from Sector 10 and arrested them and later handed them over to the police.

“CTJF has zero tolerance for acts of indiscipline and unprofessional conduct, especially in relation to violation of human rights.

“The public should please regard this ugly incident as an isolated case which is not true reflection of the Civilian JTF,” Gunda said.

“The creation of the CJTF was to only complement the efforts of the security forces in the counter terrorism operation and not to handle any case meant to be taken to the police station,” he added.

The CJTF is a local vigilance group made of young men armed with sticks popularly known as Yan gora in Hausa language, to complement the effort of security forces in quelling activities of Boko Haram.

Defence/Security

CNS directs naval Commands to hand over all arrested vessels by Dec.

Published

on

The Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Adm. Ibok-Ete Ibas has directed naval commands to ensure that recently arrested vessels are processed and handed over to appropriate prosecuting agencies not later than Dec. 15.

Navy Director of Information, Commodore Suleman Dahun, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

“Addressing Principal Staff Officers, Flag Officers Commanding and Commanders of autonomous naval commands, Ibas  directed these units to work closely with zonal offices of prosecuting agencies and inform the Naval Headquarters and headquarters of such agencies of the handing over process.”

The CNS commended the senior commanders for the efforts being made to ensure that the nation’s maritime environment is safe, recalling the numerous operations and exercises conducted so far to achieve this feat.

He charged the Commanders to ensure that activities of criminals were curtailed and efforts are intensified by the Nigerian Navy to firmly control the maritime environment.

Ibas equally directed the Commanders to ensure that officers and ratings uphold the core values of the Navy which are professionalism, integrity and teamwork.

He also tasked the Commanders to lead by example, emphasize collective ownership of the Service and ensure the sanctity of the Service.

The naval chief said that the Navy was expecting new ships in 2020 and called for proper and positive attitude towards the management of these new assets.

On the operationalisation of the ECOWAS Zone E, Ibas said that the proposed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU ) between Nigeria, Togo, Republic of Benin and Niger Republic would facilitate joint patrols.

The naval chief also emphasied the collective resolve of the Nigerian Navy towards a safer Gulf of Guinea.n

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Buratai rewards gallant soldier with promotion

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has approved the promotion of Private Illyasu Bala to the rank of Lance Corporal for exceptional courage and gallantry in the war against Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Area.

The Chief of Military Public Information for Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Col. Timothy Antigha, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday made available to Nigeria News Agency in Abuja.

He said that the Commanding Officer, 118 Task Force Battalion, Lt.-Col. Murtala Aminu, recommended Bala to the Force Commander of MNJTF, Maj.-Gen Ibrahim Yusuf, for automatic promotion.

Antigha quoted Aminu as saying, “Private Bala who is only three years in service has been exemplary, courageous and a source of inspiration to his peers.

“His gallantry in the face of the enemy has been exceptional”.

According to Antigha consequently, on the authority of Buratai, the Force Commander promoted and decorated the soldier to the admiration and applause of the entire battalion.

He said that while addressing the troops, Yusuf commended them for their courage and services to their fatherland.

According to Antigha, Yusuf emphasised the need for collaboration between Nigerian and Nigerien forces fighting in Bosso – Mallam Fatori axis in order to benefit from the experiences and expertise of each other.

“As a morale booster and mark of appreciation for their services and patriotism, the Force Commander decorated commanders, some officers and soldiers with Operation YANCIN TAFKI medal.

“It would be recalled that in the last couple of weeks troops location in Mallam Fatori have been under repeated attacks by Boko Haram Terrorists.

“However, on each of those occasions, troops have robustly defended their location, counter – attacked and inflicted heavy losses in personnel and equipment on Boko Haram.

“The maiden visit of the new Force Commander to troops in the front line, therefore, provided the opportunity to reward the gallant soldier,” he said.

Edited by Donald Ugwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Exercise Crocodile Smile IV:Army conduct educational, medical outreach for Tarkwa Bay residents

Published

on

The 81 Division of the Nigeria Army on Thursday conducted medical and educational outreach for residents of Tarkwa Bay as part of the ongoing Exercise Crocodile Smile IV in Lagos State.

Maj.-Gen. Olubunmi Irefin, General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division, said that the exercise was part of its corporate social responsibility to foster civil-military relationship.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that Exercise Crocodile Smile IV, holding from Nov. 19 to Dec. 23, was aimed at enhancing troops operational proficiency, inter-agency cooperation and civil -military coordination.

The exercise was also aimed at curbing prevalent contemporary security challenges such as kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, ritual killing and pipeline vandalism within its area of responsibility.

Some of the beneficiaries told newsmen that they were impressed with the gesture of the Nigerian Army.

Mr Ayodeji Ademiniyi, Principal of Government Secondary, Takwa Bay, said that he was grateful to the Nigerian Army for the gesture, saying he believed that they could do more.

“They have given our students notebooks which is a good thing but I want to believe that they will do more. It will be a thing of joy if they can help us in the security of the school premises, ” he said.

Odebode Olabisi, Headmaster of Epiphany Anglican Primary School, Abagbo also appreciated the Army’s gesture, praying that God would continue to guide and protect them.

He appealed to the Nigerian Army to help in fencing the school and providing security personnel around the school to save the school from hoodlums that often disturbed them.

Among items provided for beneficiaries during the medical outreach were malaria drugs, mosquito nets, reading glasses and blood pressure medication.

Col.Oludare Oni, Commander, 81 Division Hospital and Medical Service, said that the medical outreach became necessary as majority of community members were faced with malaria, skin diseases, eye problem and arthritis.

Edited by Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

LG Polls: Police warn against provocative campaign in Niger

Published

on

Police

Minna, Nov. 21, 2019 ( NAN) The Police in Niger have warned political parties and their candidates against provocative campaigns and acts capable of breaching peace in the build-up of the Nov. 30 Local Government Election in the state.

The state Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Adamu Usman, gave the warning at a meeting with head of security agencies, leaders of political parties and stakeholders on Thursday in Minna.

Usman said that political parties and candidates were expected to conduct themselves in a manner that would promote peace to ensure implementation of Electoral process in the state.

He said that already effective operation order had since been issued to Area commanders and divisional police officers across the state on how to provide security before, during and after the elections.

”Politicians and supporters are not expected to carry offensive weapons during rallies, campaigns, pulling units, and collection centres.

”Thuggery, intimidation and demonstration of violent conduct will not be condoned during and after the elections in the state.

“As a political party or a member of the party, you are not expected to retain, organise, train, equip or procure persons or group of persons for the use or display of force and violence during campaign and elections.

“No hate speech, defamation and inciting statements. Campaign on religion or tribe should also be avoided.

”The ongoing campaign should be devoid of abusive languages directly or indirectly intended to injure religious, ethnic, tribal or sectional feelings,” the commissioner said.

Usman called on political parties and the candidates to work as a team to ensure peaceful conduct of the elections.

The police boss advised the parties to impress on their supporters to shun all kinds of violence before, during and after the election.

He reiterated the command’s commitment to provide level-playing field to all candidates.

In their separate remarks, Malam Hussain Adamu, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Chanchaga Local Government Area, assured the readiness of the party and its candidates to a free, fair and peaceful elections.

”We have mobilize our supporters to shun violence and thuggery to ensure the victory of our candidates,“ he said.

Also, Alhaji Aminu Baba, the Chairman, State Independent Electoral Commission (SIEC), said that the commission would organise a free, fair and cridible election in the state.

”We have already equipped our field officers with the required electoral knowledge for the conduct of a transparent election.

Baba commended the police command for organising the meeting, adding that the gesture would facilitate the conduct of a peaceful poll.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the meeting was attended by head of various security agencies in the state and representatives of political parties.

They include: NURTW, human right organisation, aspirants and officials of the state Independent Electoral Commission.

Edited by Modupe Adeloye/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

NDLEA arrests 179 suspects, seizes 570kg of cannabis in 3 months

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested 179 suspected drug peddlers, seized 570kg of cannabis and other psychotropic substances between July 15 and October in Abuja.

The Chairman of NDLEA, Col. Muhammad Abdallah (Rtd), said this while receiving the appreciation letter from the Wuse Zone 4 Traders Association (WZ4TA) on Thursday in Abuja.

Abdallah said that the special operation which lasted three months and carried out in two phases led to the arrest of key drug merchants with seizure of sizeable quantities of drugs.

He said that the operation which was sponsored by the FCT Minister, Mohammed Bello, was targeted at various individuals, who were into drug sales and usage in various strategic locations.

“The operation called “Operation Shara” which means “to sweep” aimed at addressing drug sales and uses in the FCT.

“Under Phase one, 48 suspects were arrested and 496kg of cannabis were seized. Other substances recovered where 63 cartons containing 5,161 bottles of cough syrup with codeine.

“8.2 grams of Cocaine, Rhophylo, Roche, Tramadol, Diazepam and Exol 5. We also recovered 19,804 fake US dollars.

“The second phase of the operation led to the arrest of 131 suspects and seizures of various substances including cannabis sativa and prescription drug of abuse such as cough syrup with codeine.

“This brings to the total of 179 suspects and 570kg of cannabis seized,’’ the chairman said.

Abdallah said that a special squad was deployed and went into aggressive intelligence gathering, round-the-clock patrols and sting operations, adding that the outcome of these had brought respite to the residents of the FCT.

“Just November 13, 2019, the FCT command of the agency also intercepted 1.115tons of cannabis sativa at its outpost in Gwagwalada. The consignment was concealed in a Dangote Truck with registration number KBT 391XA and we are determined to do more,’’ he said.

The chairman said that the successes recorded was a product of synergy between law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders.

“This would not have been possible without the invaluable intelligence hints from the various groups resident in the respective areas.

“I urge you to continue to volunteer information that can assist us to combat drug activities of criminals,’’ Abdullahi said.

He assured that the agency was determined to sustain current efforts aimed at preventing the influx of drugs into the FCT while restating the agency’s zero tolerance drug activities anywhere in the country.

“Part of our strategies in this regard is the strengthening of our vigilance at the entry points to the FCT such that drug consignments on transit are intercepted even before they are moved into the city,’’ the chairman said.

Edited by Abdullahi Mohammed/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

New CP assumes office in Edo, pledges to be fair, firm, humane

Published

on

A new Commissioner of Police has assumed office in the Edo Command of the Nigerian Police Force.

He is CP Lawal Jimeta, former Commissioner, Police Mobile, Abuja.

Nigeria News Agency , reports that Jimeta officially took over from outgone CP, now Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) Mohammed DanMalam.

Jimeta in his maiden remarks on Thursday pledged to be fair, firm, and humane in the discharge of his responsibilities in the state.

He also promised to follow the footprints of his predecessor to ensure that the state was well secured, protected and criminals eradicated from the state.

The new CP who noted that his predecessor had achieved a lot in the fight against crime and criminality in Edo further promised to uphold the human rights of all stakeholders in the state.

He, however, solicited the cooperation of all to ensure the safety and protection of every resident of the state.

He stressed that he would ensure that the policies of the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Adamu Abubakar, were strictly enforced in the state by officers and men in the command.

Earlier, DanMalam revealed that the Edo command had 55 Police Divisions and 10 Area Commands.

He charged the new CP to work in line with the 1999 constitution which saddled the responsibility to protect and secure the lives of citizens of the country on the force.

He expressed optimism that his successor would achieve greater success in the state, and charged him on the need for partnership with stakeholders.

CP Lawal Jimeta is the 41st CP in the history of the command.

Edited by Donald Ugwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Latest News

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG