The Police in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Thursday said it arrested five suspected informants to kidnappers terrorising communities in Abaji Area Council and environs.
The Commissioner of Police in charge of the command, Mr Bala Ciroma, disclosed this during a news conference in Abuja.
He said that the five suspects had made useful information to the police to facilitate the arrest of their cohorts.
The commissioner said the arrest of the five suspects was in line with the commitment of the command to tackle cases of kidnapping in the area.
In a related development, Ciroma said that police operatives from the command’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) arrested six members of a notorious robbery gang.
He said members of the gang who specialized in transferring money through bank accounts linked to their victims’ SIM cards were arrested in Keffi, Nasarawa State.
Ciroma said that the bank accounts used as destination accounts where proceeds of the crime were lodged were bank accounts created by the syndicates for unsuspecting persons whose SIM cards were picked from the streets.
“When such accounts are opened, the leader of the syndicates takes custody of the ATM cards.
“The leader uses same to withdraw all money transferred into the account from victims whose accounts have been hacked,” he said.
He said the exhibits recovered from the suspects are 13 mobile phones, 55 SIM cards and six ATM cards.
The commissioner said that operatives from the command also on July 30, arrested a 40 year-old man allegedly involved in running a gun fabrication outlet in Kulo village of Abaji Area Council.
He said that the arrest of the suspect was in furtherance to an ongoing investigation into the source of two guns recovered from two suspects arrested over a robbery operation.
Ciroma disclosed that two brothers who supplied charms used by the suspects to carry out robbery operations were also arrested.
According to him, the exhibits recovered from the suspects include seven locally fabricated single barrel guns, charms, four barrels and some blacksmith tools.
The CP said that men of the command also arrested three men in connection with alleged possession of a Toyota Camry Car reported stolen in Kebbi.
He said that the suspects would soon be handed over to Kebbi State Police Command for continuation of investigations.
The commissioner said that other suspects arrested by the command would be arraigned in court upon completion of investigation.
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari