The Police Command in Enugu has arrested a suspect, who hailed from Jalingo, Taraba state for alleged assault and rape.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, disclosed this to Nigeria News Agency in Enugu on Monday.
Ndukwe said that the suspect was arrested at about 6; 20 p.m. on April 4, within Umulungbe community in Udi Local Government Area of the state.
He said that the suspect had allegedly assaulted two women who were picking cashew nuts in the community and raped one.
Ndukwe explained that the suspect was almost mobbed by youth in the community before he was rescued by Police operatives of the 9th Mile Corner Police Division.
“It was gathered that the suspect accosted two women picking cashew nuts in Umulungbe community and he started assaulting two of them.
“It was not long before one of the women escaped and alerted the community and youths of the community came in their large numbers and mobbed as well as beat him mercilessly.
“So, it was on the intervention of police operatives of the 9th Mile Corner Police Division that he was rescued from being murdered.
“Before the community youths could come, it was also alleged that the suspect had beaten and raped the other woman, who is about 68 years old, still with him,’’ he said.
The police spokesman said that the Command had begun investigation into the matter.
“The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Ahmad Abdurrahman, has directed a thorough and comprehensive investigation into the matter and assured that justice will be served,’’ he added.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo and Isaac Ukpoju
- Palestinian fishermen work at port in Gaza City
- Serologic test results unable to judge whether to return people to workplace, says CDC
- LASEMA demolishes defective 2-storey building in Lagos
- Mask production line from China put into operation in Georgia
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits Port Vila of Vanuatu: USGS
- 4 police officers fired in U.S. Minnesota over death of black man
- U.S. VP Pence’s press secretary returns to work after testing positive
- LatAm economic climate index falls to three-decade low
- U.S. Texas further opens up amid pandemic
- LASG cautions developers against roads abuse
- Spotlight: Europeans continue to heal economic wounds, infections top 2 mln
- Ratcliffe sworn in as U.S. spy chief
- COVID-19: Gov. El-Rufai extends Kaduna lockdown by 2 weeks
- Romania to take new relaxation measures from June 1: minister
- PDP hails FG over successes against banditry, other crimes in Zamfara
- Roundup: New York Stock Exchange partially reopens as U.S. COVID-19 deaths near 100,000
- New York governor rings opening bell at exchange as traders return
- Teenage Saruni dreams of debut Olympics in Tokyo
- Feature: Pandemic-hit Ecuador faces uncertain economic future, say experts
- ‘Presidential directive’ on 150 memos is fake news – Presidency