Connect with us

Defence/Security

Police arrest three suspects for kidnapping, robbery in C/River

Published

on

Arrest

Calabar, April 24, 2019 The Police Command in Cross River has arrested two suspected kidnappers and one armed robbery suspect in Calabar, the state capital.

The Police Spokesperson in the state, DSP Irene Ugbo made the remark in a statement she signed and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Calabar.

Ugbo said that the two kidnap suspects were arrested for attempting to abduct the State Security Adviser, Mr Ani Esin on March 12, 2019 in Calabar.

”The suspects are Thomson Emmanuel-Bassey and Prince Otu; investigation is still ongoing to unravel the cause of their action and their accomplices brought to book,” Ugbo said.

She said that the command also received a distress call over a robbery operation at 8 Miles area in Calabar, saying that a team of police detectives were quickly dispatched to the area.

“In a bid to evade arrest, the suspect attempted to disarm the inspector who led the team and in the process, the inspector sustained bullet wounds while the suspect was maimed in his leg.

“We recovered a revolver pistol and live ammunition in his possession. The suspect is giving useful information to the police.

“Investigation is being intensified to arrest other fleeing gang members to face the full wrath of the law,” Ugbo said.

 

Foreign

Minnesota governor announces civil rights probe into Minneapolis Police Department

Published

on

By

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said Tuesday that his state is launching a civil rights probe into the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD), of which four police officers were involved in the brutal killing of unarmed black man George Floyd last week.

Walz said the Minnesota Department of Human Rights has filed the civil rights charge against the MPD and will investigate its “policies, procedures, and practices over the past 10 years to determine if they engaged in systemic discriminatory practices.”

“My administration will use every tool at our disposal to deconstruct generations of systemic racism in Minnesota,” the governor said on Twitter following a news conference. “This effort is one of many steps to come in our effort to restore trust with communities that have been unseen and unheard for far too long.”

Floyd died on May 25 after being pinned to the ground by four MPD police officers, who arrested him for allegedly using a fake 20-dollar note to buy cigarettes. All of the officers have been fired, and Derek Chauvin, the one who kept his knee down on Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes even as Floyd pleaded desperately for his life, has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.

“This is not about holding people personally criminally liable,” said Minnesota Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero, who will lead the just-announced investigation. “This is about systems change.”

Floyd’s death instigated nationwide protests against police brutality and racism that have persisted for a week now.

As demonstrations escalated into violent unrests in some parts of the country, United States President Donald Trump on Monday threatened the use of the military to clamp down on the protesters, a response that drew immediate condemnation from his political opponents, including former Vice President Joe Biden, whom Trump is all but certain to face off in the general election later this year.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police Command in Niger “in talks” with top APC official over party funds

Published

on

The Police Command in Niger on Tuesday said it had invited a top official of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state, over alleged financial misappropriation.

According to the Commissioner, Adamu Usman, the APC official is specifically accused of misusing party finances “since he assumed office in 2015”.

Usman told the News Agency of Nigeria in Minna that a petition against the APC official had accused him of misusing funds realised from the sale of Expression of Interest forms to members that contested elective positions.

He said that the petitioners accused the party chief of spending the funds “unilaterally and without due process”.

According to him, the petition was written by some members of the executive council of the party who also accused the official of abuse of office.

“We are investigating the matter and shall get to the root of it. We want to find out if there is any substance in the claims of the petitioners.

The Nigerian Police has the responsibility to investigate any form of criminal complaint from any citizen of the state. That is what we are doing.

“We are handling the matter professionally to ensure that justice is done to all sides,” he said.

Efforts to speak with the affected party official did not yield fruits as he was said to be “in deep discussions” with  personnel of the Criminal Investigation Division.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrest officer over alleged killing of motorcycle operator in Adamawa

Published

on

Police in Adamawa on Tuesday confirmed the arrest of their officer, who allegedly shot and killed a commercial motorcycle operator in Maiha Local Government Area of the state.

DSP Sulaiman Nguroje, the state Police Command Public Relation Officer, confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria in Yola.

Nguroje said the incident occurred on Monday at about 9 a.m in Maiha town of Maiha local government area.

“The officer is currently under arrest and the Commissioner of Police, Mr Olugbenga Adeyanju, has given directive for thorough investigation into the matter.

“As soon as the investigation is completed, the suspected officer will be charged to Court for appropriate action,” Nguroje said.

He warned that officers and men were given riffles to protect lives, not to take lives of innocent citizens and should always discharge their duty within the rule of law and to respect human rights.

Nguroje also appealed to the citizens of the state to desist from taking laws into their hands, as the Command was making efforts to protect  their lives and properties.

Alhaji Idi Amin, the Chairman of Maiha Local Government Council, expressed dismay over the incident and described it as “unacceptable”.

Amin assured the family of the deceased, Arabo Tambajam, 20, and the people of Maiha town that the local government council would follow the case until justice was done.

“I am in shock the way and manner this young man , Arabo Tambajam, 20, recklessly shot by the security officer who supposed to protect the lives of people in the area.

“I am assuring the people that the management of the Local Government Council would not rest until justice prevail,” Ameen said.

He however called the locals not to take laws into their hands as government was making efforts to ensure justice was done.

NAN gathered that the deceased was a commercial motorcyclist in Maiha town.

Tambajam was allegedly shot and killed by a police officer at a checkpoint after he allegedly refused to give the police N100.

Late Tambajam was said to have earlier given the officer N50 to allow him pass, but refused and demanded for N100.


Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Mozambican police urge people to observe preventive measures against COVID-19

Published

on

By

The Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) expressed on Tuesday their concerns about people’s reluctance to strictly observe the preventive measures against COVID-19, saying that the police will take all necessary measures to enforce the rules of a state of emergency.

There are still people that gather for consumption of alcohol and quite a few underage youths wander on streets unprotected, the spokesperson of PRM Orlando Madumane told Radio Mozambique.

“All of us should comply with these measures, they were imposed to prevent this pandemic and to safeguard our precious value, life,” said Madumane, adding that all violators will be held accountable.

The police spokesperson appealed for the parents and legal guardians to protect their children and keep them at home, as schools in the country have been closed since March 23.

In the southern province of Gaza, the police reportedly removed 50 children aged between 10 to 17 years old off the streets while they were selling products to make incomes for their families.

“Parents should not allow children out in the streets and adults should only go outside when necessary. We have been witnessing crowds in markets trying to earn their living, but it is necessary to observe the preventive measures when doing so,” said the spokesperson.

Health authorities said a few days ago that the country is on the verge of entering the phase of community transmission of COVID-19.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Expedite action to bring Omozuwa’s killers to justice, group tasks Police  

Published

on

Girl Child Africa, a Civil Society Organisation (CSO) on Tuesday, urged the Police to intensify efforts to ensure that killers of Miss Uwaila Omozuwa were brought to justice.

Founder of Girl Child Africa, Bukky Shonibare made the call in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .

Omozuwa, a student of University of Benin (UNIBEN)  was gruesomely raped and murdered in a church in Edo, where she had apparently gone to study ahead of resumption of academic activities.

This elicited protests by various groups and individuals, demanding the arrest and prosecution of her murderer (s) who was/ were still at large.

While condemning the rape and murder of the 100 level female microbiology student of the UNIBEN , Shonibare emphasised the need for police to work assiduously to establish the facts surrounding Omozuwa’s death.

The human rights activist also stressed the need to implement laws that protected lives and rights of citizens from abuse, particularly women.

According to her, the way we handle Omozuwa’s matter will serve as a deterrent to others and go a long way in stopping rape in the country.

“This brings to the fact that we have laws that protect the lives and rights of citizens from abuse.

“If those laws exist as letters and are not implemented, then every person who wants to indulge in sexual abuse will have his or her way.

In February 2019, Edo  government signed the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Bill which stipulates appropriate punishments for sexual abuse.

“Same was replicated in some states but unfortunately the laws are not being implemented.

“Since the passage of this law, we have not had instances where they are used to serve as deterrent to those who may want to indulge in such ugly practice,’’ Shonibare said.

She however, decried unwholesome practices in the judiciary, saying that they contributed to slowing down quick dispensation of justice in the country.

She said “even when you take such cases to the courts, the corruption is discouraging and will not allow victims get justice.

“We will continue to have such cases of abuse if the laws are not implemented.

“Therefore, the way we follow Uwa’s case will go a long way in stopping sexual abuse in Nigeria,’’ Shonibare said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

5 police officers shot, wounded in United States protests

Published

on

At least five United States police officers were shot and wounded during violent protests over the death of a black man in police custody, police and media said.

This is coming hours after President Donald Trump vowed to deploy the military if unrest did not stop.

Trump deepened outrage on Monday by posing at a church across from the White House clutching a Bible after law enforcement officers used teargas and rubber bullets to clear protesters.

The United States Secret Service, charged with protecting the president, on Tuesday closed down until further notice the streets around the White House, media reports said.

Demonstrators set fire to a strip mall in Los Angeles, looted stores in New York City and clashed with police in St Louis, Missouri, where four officers were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

An emotional St. Louis police commissioner, John Hayden, said about 200 protesters were looting and hurling fireworks and rocks at officers.

“They had officers with gas poured on them. What is going on? How can this be? Mr Floyd was killed somewhere else and they are tearing up cities all across the country,” he told reporters.

“A police officer was shot during protests in Las Vegas. Another officer was `involved in a shooting’ in the same area.

“Officers were injured in clashes elsewhere, including one who was in critical condition after being hit by a car in the Bronx,” police said.

Trump, a Republican, has condemned the killing of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American who died after a white policeman pinned his neck under a knee for nearly nine minutes in Minneapolis on May 25, and has promised justice.

But, with marches and rallies for racial equality and against police brutality having turned violent late each day in the last week, he said rightful protests could not be drowned out by an “angry mob.”

“If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them,” Trump said.

Floyd’s death has reignited simmering racial tensions in a politically divided country that has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, with African Americans accounting for a disproportionately high number of cases.

Democratic Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker on Tuesday urged patience, saying Americans could work through these tough issues. He pledged to take legal action if Trump carried out his military threat.

“We can bring down the temperature, but not when the president … is standing up calling for troops, and law and order, and domination,” he told MSNBC. “We will fight him, and we will take it to federal court.”

Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser, in a separate MSNBC interview on Tuesday, said there were no signs of active duty United States military in the city overnight.

After his address, Trump posed for pictures with his daughter, Ivanka, and United States Attorney General William Barr at St. John’s Episcopal Church near the White House.

The presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church diocese in Washington D. C., Michael Curry, was among those who criticized Trump’s use of the historic church for a photo opportunity.

“In so doing, he used a church building and the Holy Bible for partisan political purposes,” he said on Twitter. The church suffered minor fire damage during protests on Sunday night.

On Tuesday, Trump was scheduled to visit the Saint John Paul II National Shrine in Washington.

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Police arraign man, 20, over alleged church break-in, stealing

Published

on

The police on Tuesday arraigned a 20-year-old man, Abdulazeez Nasiru, before an Ado-Ekiti Magistrates’ Court for alleged church break-in and stealing.

The defendant of no fixed address is standing trial on a two-count charge of burglary and stealing.

The prosecutor, Sgt.Olubu Apata, told the court that the defendant and others  currently at large, committed the offences on May 25, at about 1:00 a.m., at Isato Ologoro Street in Ado-Ekiti.

He alleged that the defendant and his accomplices who are  currently at large, broke into the Cherubim and Sheraphim Church, Orisun Ibukun.

Apata also alleged that the defendant and his accomplices stole: one big generator valued  N80,000, a medium- size Tiger generator valued N15,000 and four microphones valued  N20,000.

Others item stolen are: a watch valued  N15,000 and cash sum of N36,000, all valued N166,000 belonging to the church.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 415 and 390(9) of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.

The prosecutor asked the court for adjournment  to enable him  study the case file and present his witnesses.

The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The magistrate, Mrs Kehinde Awosika, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.

Awosika adjourned the case until July 6 for hearing.


Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Peter Dada (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zimbabwe police ban people from traveling into city center to curb spread of COVID-19

Published

on

By

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) on Tuesday introduced a stricter COVID-19 enforcement regime where many people were barred from entering the city center, as positive cases spiked to 203 from 63 seven days earlier.

Most of the new cases are however imported and local transmissions have remained very low.

Many motorists and passengers using public transport were reportedly turned back home as the police insisted on particular “essential services”, despite some having documents showing that they were also covered under the COVID-19 Level 2 lockdown regulations.

In a message on Twitter, the police said members of the public should observe the regulations in view of the rising number of COVID-19 cases.

The ZRP urges members of the public to observe that the country is still under Level 2 national lockdown in order to manage the COVID-19 pandemic. Only essential services, businesses in the formal commercial and industrial sectors were exempted to operate during this period,” it said.

“The rest of the public should stay at home in order for the nation to curtail the increase in new COVID-19 cases being recorded. Please note that it is not everyone who should be in the Central Business District. Let us all be security and health conscious in view of the increase of COVID-19 cases,” the police said.

Government spokesperson Nick Mangwana also reminded citizens that the country was still in lockdown.

“Government has not pronounced a change in lockdown regulations. We are still on Level 2 lockdown and permitted economic activity should go ahead. Police are only enforcing the pronounced and gazetted Level 2 conditions,” he said on Twitter.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa two weeks ago maintained a Level 2 lockdown for an indefinite period in a bid to cut the spread of the pandemic.

He allowed industry and commerce to reopen under strict health regulations while informal businesses bars and gymnasiums remained closed.

There is also a ban on inter-city and cross-border movement, except transportation of cargo.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

2 Turkish journalists injured in United States police raids on protests

Published

on

By

Two journalists from Turkey’s state broadcaster TRT World were injured in police raids during the protests in the United States over the death of George Floyd, semi-official Anadolu Agency reported Tuesday.

Sally Ayhan, a Washington-based correspondent of TRT World, was injured in the chest and the leg by plastic bullets during live coverage, Anadolu said.

Another correspondent Lionel Donovan, along with the cameraman Barbaros Sayilgan, “came under attack” in Minneapolis, and Donovan was injured when a bullet targeted his groin, it added.

“Press freedom is the backbone of democracy. I will raise this issue with the relevant U.S. officials without delay,” tweeted Fahrettin Altun, Turkey‘s presidential communications director.

Demonstrations and riots have spread to cities across the United States after a video went viral of George Floyd being suffocated to death by a white police officer in the midwestern United States state of Minnesota a week ago.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also