Connect with us

General news

Police averts chaos as Customs, Kwara Traffic officers clash

Published

on

Police averts chaos as Customs, Kwara Traffic officers clash


The Police in Kwara on Saturday averted a bloody clash between personnel of state Road Traffic Management Authority (KWARTMA) and Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) over a minor incident.

The Chief Executive Officer of KWARTMA, Mr Yekeen Bello, confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria in Ilorin.

Bello said that it took the intervention of the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Mr Ajayi Okasanmi, to avert what could have led to a serious chaos between his officers and men and officers of the state command of the NCS.

Bello explained that a vehicle belonging to an officer of the NCS had earlier been towed to their office before heavily armed men from the Customs Service stormed the KWARTMA office to forcefully remove the vehicle.

The KWARTMA boss said a lady had parked her vehicle on Ahmadu Bello Way, a place he explained was clearly marked with no parking signs.

“My men clamped the car and they called in a towing vehicle to tow the car, they brought the car to our yard, luckily I was in the office.

“The lady came into our office, it wasn’t only her car, I think about two or three other cars too, there is nothing I can do because that is an area forbidden for parking.

“You as a learned person, you saw no parking there, why did you parked there, she said she told one of my officers before she parked and I told her none of my officers will ask you to park because we are placing them there to prevent anybody from parking,” Bello said.

He explained that the fine ticket (N10,000) was raised and there is nothing he can do to assist the officer from making the payment.

“Thinking she has accepted what I told her, only for me to come out of my office and I saw a Customs patrol vehicle with armed men, strategically stationed here and there.

“One of the armed Customs went to the vehicle, where we parked it, collected the key from the lady and removed it from where we parked it as if they want to go out.

“I say they should go and block the gate, if she think she can bring armed men to come and intimidate us,” Bello added.

He further clarified that the Police PPRO (Okasanmi) intervened and begged him to release the vehicle, which he explained that he could do nothing because the ticket had been raised.

The KWARTMA boss also confirmed that the lady later apologised to him for her inactions and her car subsequently released to her.

Reacting to the development, the Customs Public Relations Officer of the Kwara Command, Mr Zack Chado, confirmed that the lady was an officer in the command who went to buy some items in the market and had gotten the approval of a KWARTMA officer before she parked her vehicle.

“The guy told her she cannot park there but she showed her identity card that she’s an officer that she just want to buy garlic and onions, that she is not staying long and the guy allowed her to park.

“Before she came out, she saw people towing her vehicle, she didn’t park on her own, someone gave her permission to park.

“She stopped a bike and went to their office even before the arrival of her vehicle, she told the man she met in the office that someone gave her permission to park.

“The man insisted that there is nothing like that and asked her if she can identify the guy that gave her permission.

“She begged the man before she called the Police PRO to intervene, but the man still did not release the car, she now said let me call office.

“The person she called was on their way to patrol and they used the opportunity to pass through that office, the officers were with rifles, so they thought they were there to remove the vehicle, which is not true,” Chado told NAN.

He also explained that after much ado, she paid the stipulated N10,000, but they could not issue receipt for the payment.

The Customs spokesman also confirmed that the front bumper of the vehicle was damaged and that infuriated the officers.

Edited By: Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

Olayinka Owolewa: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists

Published

on


The Ogun Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has warned motorists to limit their speed while on the highways in order to avoid unnecessary road traffic crashes.


The FRSC Sector Commander in the state, Mr Ahmed Umar, gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Ota, Ogun.

NAN reports that Umar was reacting to the accident that occurred on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, leading to the death of three persons, with seven others injured.

NAN also reports that a commercial Mazda bus, marked FUF 109 ZD, coming to Lagos from Kwara, had, on Tuesday, had a burst tyre at the Youth Camp area, on Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

Umar said that the accident could have been averted, if the commercial bus had adhered strictly to the speed limit.

“The FRSC wants to appeal to motorists to install speed limit devices in their vehicles to regulate and prevent tragedy, when accidents occur,” he said.

The sector commander enjoined motorists to refrain from putting used tyres on their vehicles so as to avoid unnecessary mishaps on the road.

Umar, however, condoled with the families of the accident victims and prayed God to grant them the fortitude to bear the losses.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Foreign

30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM

Published

on


Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.


The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol  Unit on

Tuesday.

The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.

According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.

The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.

“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.

“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary,  Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.

He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.

The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.

“The diplomat commended  efforts of  the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of  55 of the girls,” he said.

Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.

Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.

He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission,  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.

“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.

“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.

“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.

Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed

Published

on


The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the roll out of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.


The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to a hold after it was launched in six states.

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls the roll out of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February, 2018.

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructure of the industry.

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident

Published

on


A toddler as well as a six-year-old girl and one other person were confirmed dead while six others sustained injuries in a lone accident on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.


Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, the spokesperson of the Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), confirmed the deaths to newsmen in Abeokuta on Tuesday.

He said the accident, which involved a Mazda bus marked FUF109ZD coming from Kwara inbound Lagos, happened around the Youth Camp on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

Akinbiyi, who said that the accident occurred at about 2:05pm, added that it was caused by a burst tyre which resulted in the bus summersaulting.

“Six persons comprising four females and two males got injured while a toddler, a six-year-old girl and another female died in the accident.

“We learnt that the commercial bus was coming from  Kwara state inbound Lagos when it had a burst tyre due to excessive speeding with a female toddler losing her life immediately while a six- year -old girl and another female died later at Idera Hospital, Sagamu,” he said.

The TRACE spokesman said the injured victims were currently receiving treatment at Idera Hospital in Sagamu while the corpses would be taken to Fakoya private morgue in the community.

He commiserated with the family of the deceased while admonishing motorists to desist from over-inflating or under-inflating tyres.

Akinbiyi also cautioned drivers against excessive speeding, especially in diversion and construction zones.

(
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19