The Police Service Commission (PSC), says it will deploy 45 of its personnel to monitor police conduct in the Nov. 16, Governorship and House of Assembly elections in Kogi and Bayelsa.
Mr Ikechukwu Ani, Head, Press and Public Relations of the commission, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, in Abuja.
Ani said 20 of the personnel would be deployed to Bayelsa and 25 to Kogi to ensure officers complied with the force’s rules of engagement.
He said cases of police misconduct that would arise from the exercise would be investigated; and any police officer found guilty would be punished accordingly.
He urged officers to ensure that they operated within the law and be professional in their conduct while remaining neutral and apolitical.
The spokesman said the monitors would be deployed to all the local government areas of the two states.
According to him, the teams would arrive in the respective states on Wednesday, to monitor the deployment of men, materials and conduct of police officers before, during and after the elections.
He said that the team to Bayelsa would be led by Mr Austin Braimoh, the commissioner representing the South South geo-political Zone in PSC, and the media.
“The Kogi State team will be led by Mr Rommy Mom, the commissioner from the North Central geo-political zone in the commission and the Human Rights organisations,“ he said.
He said dedicated telephone lines had been provided for Nigerians to call and report cases of police misconduct or exemplary conduct during the elections.
The phone numbers are: Bayelsa Central, , Bayelsa East, , Bayelsa West, and Situation Room, .
“Kogi Central, , Kogi East, , Kogi West, and Situation Room, ,’’ he said.
He said the deployment was in line with PSC’s constitutional mandate of exercising disciplinary control over the police.
Ani said that the police must be held accountable for its `actions and inactions’, including during elections.
Edited by Joseph Edeh/Nyisom Fiyigon Dore
30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM
Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit on
The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.
According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.
The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.
“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.
“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary, Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.
He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.
The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.
“The diplomat commended efforts of the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of 55 of the girls,” he said.
Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.
Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.
He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.
“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.
“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.
“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.
Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri
Gov. Douye Diri of Bayelsa on Tuesday announced that the state had put in place measures to check the spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) among students in exit classes billed to resume on Wednesday.
Diri gave the assurance at the ‘Safe School Reopening Train-the-Trainer’ programme in Yenagoa.
He said that the government had provided 10,000 face masks, temperature scanners, soap and water for all public and private schools in Bayelsa.
The governor inaugurated a 10-member Safe Schools Reopening Committee headed by his Deputy Chief of Staff, Mr Peter Akpe, to monitor implementation of the safety protocols across the state.
Diri urged the committee to ensure compliance with the safety protocols to curb infection.
He noted that Bayelsa had 339 COVID-19 cases at the moment.
Diri also noted that Rivers had 1,842 cases and Delta 1,520, saying that Bayelsa was listed the 23rd out of 36 states in infection rate.
“Out of the responsibility for the health of our dear children, we decided to close schools on March 26 even before we recorded the index case in Bayless, on April 27, 2020.
“I commend the efforts of our healthcare professionals who I describe as generals in the battlefield.
“With the steps we have taken, teachers have joined in the frontlines of the battle against the pandemic.
“We seek the cooperation of parents, teachers and other stakeholders to prevent teacher-to-student transmission of the virus and vice versa,” Diri said.
In his remarks, Dr Nathaniel Apoku, Co-Chairman of Bayelsa COVID-19 Task Force, said that 90 per cent of the 339 positive cases out of 5,000 people screened for the virus had been discharged.
“We have so far tested 5,000, we have only 24 active cases under our care.
“Our isolation centres are virtually empty, this is due to the commitment, dexterity and funding support by the government.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that other members of the Safe Schools Reopening Committee include Mr Freston Akpor, Permanent Secretary, Bayelsa Ministry of Information, and Mr Walter Liverpool, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)
Sagbama LG Chairman’s father regains freedom after 3 months in kidnappers den
Eighty-year-old Pa Napoleon Alale, father of Sagbama Local Government Chairman in Bayelsa has regained freedom after spending about three months in the den of his kidnappers.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the local council chairman, Embeleakpo Alale, made the disclosure in a statement issued in Sagbama on Tuesday.
The statement signed by the Chairman’s Press Secretary, Mr Nikade Anderson, said that the octogenarian was released at about 1am on Tuesday, at Otuokpoti river in Ogbia Local Government Area of the state.
The chairman said his father is receiving medical attention to ascertain his health status.
He expressed appreciation to God over the safe return of his father, and also thanked the state Governor, Douye Diri, and his deputy, Mr Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, for their intervention and moral support throughout the harrowing experience.
Alale also appreciated associates, members of the public and the press for the overwhelming display of solidarity during the trying period.
NAN recalled that Pa Alale was abducted from his residence at Agbere in the early hours of Friday, May 8, 2020 by unknown gunmen.
Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for impersonation
Adamu of Egume village, Dekina LGA of Kogi, had pleaded guilty to the two-count charge of impersonation and forgery preferred against him.
The Magistrate, Aliyu Shafa, however sentenced Adamu to six months imprisonment for each offence or an option of N5,000 fine for each offence.
Shafa cited the Holy Bible and Quran to buttress his sentencing, adding that he was satisfied with the evidences given by the defence witnesses about the good character of the defendant.
He said the punishment would serve as a deterrent to anyone planning to trail that part in the future.
Shafa also warned Adamu to desist from committing crimes and be of good behaviour.
Earlier, the defence counsel, Khalid Salaw, pleaded with the court to tamper justice with mercy, adding that the defendant was a family man with four children and a pregnant wife.
Salaw said that the defendant was a first offender and had no criminal record or arrest in the past.
The defence counsel told the court that the defendant had learnt his lessons and would not repeat the act in future.
The prosecutor counsel, Victor Ejelonu told the court that the defendant cheated by impersonating as a staff of SSS at varying locations within Abuja while conveying passengers.
He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 321 and 363 of the Penal Code.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Obike Ukoh (NAN)