The Police Command in Benue on Saturday, confirmed the killing of seven persons in Chembe Community of Logo Local Government Area following disagreement over compensation fund for mining sites in the community.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Catherine Anene, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeira in Makurdi.
The Police also dismissed allegations on various social media platforms that “suspected herdsmen” were behind the attack.
According to the statement, a company had discovered “precious stones” within the community and decided to compensate the locals for onward mining of the stones.
It further stated that preliminary investigation revealed that the crisis started within the community over who would benefit from the compensation fund.
“The crises at Logo has nothing to to with herders and farmers as speculated in the social media. It is a disagreement over benefits from mining proceeds.
“It was gathered that a mining company paid an amount of money to Chembe community as compensation for the mining sites, but members of the community disagreed over the rightful owners of the sites and this led to a fight that claimed seven lives.
“Investigation is still in progress.”the statement said
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)
- Umuezuo community in Imo seeks status of autonomous community
- Flick’s ‘brutal domination’ makes Bayern new favourites
- FCTA demolishes 134 houses in Apo Akpmajenya indigenous community
- Kwara Commissioner urges students to adopt Physiotherapy as career
- Hundreds of sea lions to be killed in effort to save endangered fish
- ‘Historic humiliation’: Spanish media flay Barca after Bayern debacle
- Bayern Munich’s massacre: Ebonyi soccer fans view Messi, Barcelona’s end
- Kwara Commissioner rewards ad hoc staff for commitment to duty
- Prominent Lagos politician Lanre Rasak dies at 74
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu distances self, APC from Etsako-West violence