Connect with us

Defence/Security

Police confirm six dead, houses burnt in Taraba as 2 communities clash

Published

on

The police in Taraba have confirmed the death of six people following Thursday’s clash between Kona and Fulani groups in Jalingo Local Government Area of the state.

The state command’s spokesperson, DSP David Misal, confirmed to the News Agency of Nigeria in Jalingo on Thursday that while several others, who sustained severe injuries were receiving treatment at different health centres in Jalingo, many houses were burnt down during the clash.

Misal explained that the incident followed a misunderstanding between the two groups over farming and grazing land.

He said that the command had deployed its personnel to restore peace in the affected areas.

He further told NAN that houses in Abbare Maikinta and Wuro Malam Nuhu communities were set on fire during the clash.

According to the command’s spokesman, the police are monitoring unfolding events in the area with a view to restoring sustainable peace.

He disclosed that the command had so far arrested five persons in connection with the incident while further investigation into the incident was ongoing.

An eyewitness, Aliyu Mohamed, who is taking refuge in Jalingo, said he had counted at least 15 corpses as he was fleeing his community.

NAN reports that hundreds of displaced persons are currently taking refuge at the secretariat of the Muslim Council in Jalingo, Kona Village, and Malam Ali villages.

Defence/Security

Rep assures of improved welfare for military personnel

Published

on

Hon. Tajudeen Adefisoye, Deputy Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Army, has assured that his committee will give priority to the welfare of military personnel.

Adefisoye stated this when he paid a courtesy visit to the 32 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Super Camp, in Okitipupa on Monday.

The lawmaker, representing Idanre/Ifedore Constituency, said that his committee would work tirelessly to ensure that soldiers were well catered for in the discharge of their duties.

He also promised to foster robust relationship between the military and the civilian populace in the country.

“I am most impressed with the functional facilities that are available in the Super Camp, particularly the helipad.

“The Brigade Commander, Brig.-Gen. Zakari Abubakar, also deserves commendation for the humanitarian services being rendered by the military to residents of the host communities.

“Provision of potable water, distribution of sports wears and computers to students in the Ondo South Senatorial District by the military are undoubtedly deserving of commendation,” he said.

The lawmaker also thanked Abubakar for doing a great job to curb crime and criminality in the state.

Adefisoye also commended the traditional rulers of the host communities for supporting community policing.

He lauded the leadership of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, for making funds available to run the camp, thereby ensuring peace in the southern zone of the state.

Responding, the brigade commander said that the ongoing clearance activities of ‘Operation Crocodile Smile IV’ had been yielding the desired results in the state and across the country.

Abubakar urged the public, particularly the host communities, to take advantage of the hot lines provided by the Nigerian Army to provide useful information to attain success in clearance operation.

The commander later conducted Adefisoye round the camp and explained to him its strategic security importance.

Although Abubakar said that the camp was a military barrack, he, however, added that it also housed the police and other paramilitary agencies like DSS, Immigration, NDLEA and the NSCDC.

Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo and ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Nigerian Army offers free medical services to Kogi residents

Published

on

The Nigerian Army on Monday offered free medical services to the residents of Irepene and Idodenge communities in Adavi Local Government Area of Kogi.

Maj. Gen. Bamidele Ogunkale, the Commander, Command Army Records (CARs), while monitoring the exercise at Irepene, told journalists that the gesture was part of activities for the ongoing Field Training Exercise, tagged ” Ayem Akpatuma 11,” in the state.

Ogunkale commended the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, for the initiative and for giving the needed support since the exercise began on Nov. 1, saying the military had recorded an appreciable success.

The commander, who was represented by his Chief of Staff, CARs, Brig.-Gen. Ayobambo Orukotan, said that the medical service was a civil- military cooperation to assist the residents of the neighbouring communities where the military Super Camps were sited.

”In that spirit, the Nigerian Army Women’s Corps (NAWC) were sent down here to participate in the exercise in collaboration with CARs to offer free medical treatment and give free drugs to patients,” he said.

The commander noted that the exercise “Ayem Akpatuma 11” had recorded a huge success, noting that the military were able to flush out criminals from their hideouts and rid some areas of bandits across Kogi.

He added that the military had also helped to curtail violence during the last Saturday election, while reaffirming the determination of the military to curtail and reduce criminality to the barest minimum in the state.

Also speaking, Lt. Col. Susan Dibal, the Coordinator, Women Special Operations Battalion, NAWC, Giri, said the women corps was collaborating with headquarters CARs for civil-military relations to offer free medical treatment to people.

”We have to say thank you to our peculiar father, the COAS, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, who had built women corps and for making women what they are today in the Army.

”The women corps is here to support the medical outreach for the vulnerable women and children including men,” she said.

Dibal also thanked the Commander CARs for making it possible for the NAWC to work together to have the medical outreach.

On his part, the Medical Officer, CARs, Capt. Nurudeen Saka, said doctors would check blood pressure, random blood sugar for diabetes, immunisation for children, mosquito net to pregnant women and free drugs as the case may be.

He noted those that could be treated would be counseled appropriately to go the nearest hospital or come down to the military hospital for treatment.

He said that malaria and malnutrition were common ailments among the residents, and the pregnant women also lacked antenatal care.

A physically challenged mother, Mrs Ife Azeez, whose child was diagnosed of a chronic jaundice, thanked the army for promising to take the child for treatment.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the residents of Irepene and some neighboring communities, trooped out in their large numbers to benefit from the free medical services.

NAN reports that the exercise, Ayem Akpatuma 11, is being conducted simultaneously in North Central States such as: Kogi, Taraba, Nassarawa, Niger and Benue States from Nov. 1 to Dec. 23.

Edited by Ekemini Ladejobi and Abdullahi Yusuf

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Bandits attack Zamfara community kill 14, injure 10

Published

on

Zamfara Police Command on Monday confirmed the killing of 14 persons and injuring of 10 others by bandits in Karaye village of Gummi Local Government Area.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the attack is the first major breach of the peace agreement between the state government and the bandits initiated by Gov. Bello Matawalle.

A statement issued to newsmen in Gusau by the command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Muhammad Shehu said the attack occured on Sunday.

According to him, a total of 14 persons were killed, 10 others sustained gun shot injuries while some houses were set ablaze.

Shehu recalled that on Nov. 3, some meembers of local vigilantes, known as “Yan sakai in Bardoki village, attacked and killed nine Fulanis under the suspicion that they were bandits.

He said on receiving the report, the command arrested 11 members of the vigilantes suspected of actively participating in the killing of the fulanis.

The command’s spokesman said Sunday’s attack might have been a reprisal of the Nov. 3 incident.

“The incident is being investigated by the State CID Gusau and all the suspects will be charged to court for prosecution in order to serve as deterrent to others.

“However, combined teams attached to Operation puff Adder, men of Operation Hadarin-Daji and vigilantes led by the DPO Gummi mobilised to the scene and embarked on extensive bush combing with a view to trailing and arresting the perpetrators.

“Corpses and injured victims were conveyed to the General Hospital Gummi for autopsy and treatment, ” he explained.

He added that discreet investigation into the incident was ongoing and whoever was involved will be prosecuted.

“The command calls on members of the public to desist from taking laws into their hands as it will not hesitate to deal decisively with any person or group of person that tries to sabotage the relative peace currently being enjoyed in the state”, he said.

Edited by Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Varsity appeals for release of lecturer, abducted 3 months ago

Published

on

Federal University Dutsinma (FUDMA) in Katsina State, has appealed to members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) nationwide and other Nigerians to pray for the release of Abubakar Idris, a Senior Lecturer in the university, abducted three months ago without trace.

Nigeria News Agency reports that Idris, a lecturer in the university’s department of languages and linguistics was abducted on Aug. 2, at his residence in Kaduna.

A statement by FUDUMA’s Acting Director Public Relations and Protocol, Habibu Matazu, issued on Monday in Katsina,  also appealed to the abductors to release the lecturer.

The university noted that since the abduction, there had been no trace of the victim, as there was no demand for ransom nor any other lead as to his whereabout.

According to the statement, the university management had reported the matter to all the relevant security agencies and Gov. Aminu Masari for their intervention.

“It is inhuman and abuse of human right, the abduction of a family man like Abubakar Idris whose detention had generated tension and uncertainties to members of the university community and his family in particular.”

The management assured ASUU and other members of the university community that it would not relent in working more closely with security agencies to get the lecturer back home safely.

The statement added that the management had approved financial support for the family of Idris and had delegated a three-man committee to sympathise with them over the incident.

“The university appeals to the abductors to kindly release him so he can report back to his work place and loved ones,” it added.

 

Edited by Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Kano Traffic agency to commence security tracker installation on tricycles

Published

on

The Managing Director, Kano State Road Traffic Agency (KAROTA), Alhaji Baffa Dan-agundi, says the agency will soon commence the installation of security trackers on tricycles across the state.

Dan-agundi said this on Monday while briefing newsmen shortly after he appeared before the Kano State House of Assembly’s committee on works to defend the proposed 2020 budget for the agency.

According to him, the plan to install the device on all the tricycles operating in the state, is to check criminal activities in the state and reduce their menace.

“The decision to commence the installation of the trackers on tricycles followed the state government’s decision to allow them to continue operating in the state.

“Therefore, it is necessary for us to embark on such installation, to monitor their operations across the state.

“Also, we will soon commence the registration of tricycles and other commercial vehicles within the state.

“We are planning to cut down the number of tricycles operating in the state, from 500 to 200, because they are too many,” he said.

Dan-agundi said the agency was also planning to introduce community service as punishment for road traffic offenders across the state.

He added that the law establishing the agency would soon be amended to include community service punishment.

The Managing Director explained that over one billion was proposed for the agency in the 2020 budget proposal recently presented before the State House of Assembly by Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje.

Dan-agundi said the agency would generate not less than six billion in 2020, adding that such could be generated through the registration of  tricycles and other commercial vehicles.

He said that the tricycles has since commenced the payment of N100 revenue to the state government daily.

Dan-agundi said the agency was not only to generate revenue for the state but also to change the thinking of road defaulters through community service and awareness.

Edited by Ifeyinwa Omowole

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insecurity: Forum seeks FG’s support to boost trading activities

Published

on

The Borno Marketers Forum has called on the Federal Government to support traders affected by the Boko Haram insurgency to enable them re-establish their businesses.

The Chairman of the forum, Alhaji Goni Ahmed, made the call at an emergency meeting of the union on Monday in Maiduguri.

Ahmed said that the call was imperative to facilitate empowerment support to the displaced traders, mitigate their hardship and encourage growth of trading activities in the state.

He lamented that traders were not carried along in the recovery and livelihood support scheme being implemented by the government, in spite of the colossal damage caused on businesses by the insurgency.

Ahmed explained that the forum comprised of 85 traders unions spread across over 100 markets, with an estimated population of more than one million registered members.

“Our members are not benefiting from the recovery and livelihood support scheme initiated by the Federal and State Governments and the humanitarian organisations.

“The insurgents carried out series of attacks against traders and markets causing a lot of damage in the past 10 years.

“With the successes recorded by the military in the war against Boko Haram, the insurgents resorted to attack soft targets including markets and business premises.

“They also attacked traders on roads and looted goods, many traders lost their capital in these attacks.

“With these devastating calamities, the government is yet to support any of our members to enable them to re-establish their businesses, a situation which exposed us to untold hardship.

“We call on the Federal and State Governments as well as humanitarian organisations to support our members, to boost trade and commercial activities in the state,” he said.

Ahmed also called on the state government to include leadership of the traders’ unions in its empowerment, recovery and livelihood scheme.

Also commenting, Alhaji Kaumi Ali, the Chairman of the Kolanut Buyers and Sellers Association, advocated for entrepreneurial development programme, to enhance enterprising skills of the displaced traders.

Ali noted that 75 per cent of the displaced persons were traders, adding that provision of livelihood support to them would fast track resettlement and peace restoration process in the state.

While commending Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno over the implementation of the Rehabilitation, Reconstruction and Resettlement (RRR) programme, Ali pledged the union’s support to the government’s policies and programmes to stimulate sustainable social and economic development of the state.

According to statistics by the Borno State Government and World Bank, the estimated damage caused by the insurgency was put at over 10 billion dollars.

While the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), indicated that 1.2 million of the 1.7 million displaced persons need critical life assistance in the North East.

Edited by Dorcas Jonah/Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG