The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command said it had arrested a suspect, Egbunu Onuche, 25 for job racketeering.
The Commissioner of Police in FCT, Mr Bala Ciroma, made the disclosure while addressing newsmen on arrest of some suspects by the command.
He said the suspect was arrested on May 7 after allegedly collecting N200,000 from one Ijeoma Ebenje with a promise to secure her employment with the Nigeria Immigration Service.
Ciroma said that upon interrogation, the suspect admitted to the crime and explained that one Alhaji Musa told him that if he had anybody looking for employment that he could assist.
According to Onuche, he then informed his friend who was Ijeoma’s brother who then told her about the offer.
The suspect admitted that 16 other people paid him amounts ranging from N200,000 to N300, 000 for employment into the Nigeria Prison Service and Nigeria Immigration Service.
He explained that crisis started when on the date of the said interview and collection of appointment letters, the man who was supposed to facilitate the process asked for additional N450,000 from all the victims.
In a related development, Ciroma said the command also arrested two suspects for the production of local drink popularly known as monkey tail.
According to him, the suspects were arrested on May 7 during a raid at Apo Mechanic village, Abuja.
He said that deliberate effort was being made by the command to checkmate activities of drug dealers and peddlers because it was fueling crimes among youths.
The commissioner said that the command also arrested four suspected drug dealers in Jikwoyi, Apo, Galadimawa and Gwagwalada areas of Abuja.
The commissioner said that the command also arrested suspected armed robbers, cell phone thieves, car thieves, hand bag snatchers among others.
He said that all the suspects would be charged to court on completion of investigation.
Ciroma urged the public to be security conscious at all times and to report any suspicious movements to the police promptly.
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges