Police nab suspected kidnapper in Niger
( NAN) Police in Niger have arrested one Mohammad Betuwa, 35, of Kudungure Fulani Camp in Mariga Local Government Area of the state, for alleged kidnapping.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Alhaji Adamu Usman, disclosed this in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Minna on Wednesday.
” The suspect, along with four others now at large, attempted to kidnap Alhaji Ibrahim Isa of Kudungure Fulani Camp but when they did not see him, they kidnapped his 15-year-old daughter, Delu Ibrahim,” Usman said.
He said that the suspect along with four others, upon sigthing the police on patrol, abandoned the girl and ran into the bush.
He said that the police patrol team succeeded in arresting the suspects in the bush, while the four other suspects took to their heels.
The commissioner said, upon interrogation, the suspect who is married with two wives and five children, confessed to the crime.
He said the suspect added that he was into cattle rustling before changing to kidnapping because, according to him (suspect), there was more money in kidnapping than in cattle rustling.
” Efforts are on to apprehend the other gang members and recover their operational weapons,” he said.
Usman said the command had resolved to find lasting solution to the rising security challenges in the state, and had therefore, intensified a carefully planned and well coordinated raid on all identified bandits’ camps.
” Combined teams of policemen from the command’s operational units and Special forces have been mobilised for the operation, ” he said.
He urged residents of the state to support the command with information that could lead to the arrest and prosecution of criminals in the state.(NAN)
Edited by Abdullahi Yusuf
- Los Angeles declares state of emergency after protests over killing of George Floyd turn violent
- Spotlight: Washington faces blast at home, abroad for “terminating” ties with WHO
- Protesters rally near White House during protest over death of George Floyd
- Aftermath of protests in Minneapolis, U.S.
- Chicago under curfew amid protests
- U.S. patient receives 840,000 USD bill for COVID-19 treatment
- Interview: Sri Lanka looks to domestic tourists for post-COVID-19 revival: expert
- 1st LD Writethru: 6.0-magnitude quake hits 32 km WNW of Lampa, Peru — USGS
- Pakistan’s COVID-19 cases rise to 69,496 with 1,483 deaths
- Protests over George Floyd death spread to cities across U.S.
- Uganda records highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases
- Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna reopens
- Nursing homes account for staggering share of US COVID-19 deaths
- India records 182,143 COVID-19 cases, 5,164 deaths
- Belgian tourism affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- New York officials urge stop of violence in George Floyd protests
- S. Korea reports 27 more COVID-19 cases, 11,468 in total
- New Yorkers continue to protest over George Floyd’s death
- U.S. Seattle announces curfew for weekend after protests
- S. Africa allows phased reopening of tourism amid COVID-19