Mohammed said the victim was abducted on March 2, from his Abalak village, Tahoa state in the Republic of Niger.
He said the rescue followed a credible distress telephone call to the Zamfara state Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran on Wednesday evening.
The PPRO explained that under the state’s Peace and Reconciliation Committee machinery, the police and officials of the state government mobilised to the bushes in Shinkafi where they secured the release of the victim.
He said the victim had already been debriefed by the police while his medical fitness had been ascertained, “what remains now is to hand him over to his relations.’’
Also speaking, Dauran said, “when we received the distress call that a white man was seen on motorcycle being transported by armed bandits around Shinkafi area, we quickly mobilised police personnel and together, we went there.
He said, with the support of the repentant bandits in the state, the search for the Nigerien victim as well as his unconditional release was made easy.
Dauran further called on the unrepentant bandits in the state to embrace peace.
Narrating his ordeal, the victim, Ibrahim said he was picked by some gunmen from his village while he was sitting near his house.
“They (bandits) moved me from one camp to another throughout the three days l was in captivity and only asked my family once for a ransom of N5 million threatening to kill me if they did not pay.
“I finally found myself in the bushes of Zamfara where l was rescued and l thank God and the Nigerian security and in particular the Zamfara government for ensuring my freedom,’’ he said.
Edited By: Abigael Joshua and Isaac Ukpoju
Police recover 2 anti-aircraft guns, others in Borno
Mr Mohammed Aliyu, Commissioner of Police made this known while briefing newsmen on Tuesday in Maiduguri.
Aliyu said the command also recovered at the scene two magazines with 51 rounds, 270 rounds of machine gun ammunitions and four spare barrels.
Aliyu said the guns were recovered by the command’s Rapid Response Squad (RRS) stationed at Auto village from an accident vehicle on the busy road on Monday.
He said members of the squad had noticed a cut off in vehicular movement on the road and became curious.
“The squad suspected something was wrong and their suspicion was further heightened after a report of an ambush on a military team by insurgents.
“Our men move in on rescue and came across an overturned vehicle on fire and a corpse in civilian dress believed to be member of a Boko Haram.
According to Aliyu, the weapons are in the command’s custody.
Besides, the commissioner also paraded five suspects arrested for various offences, including alleged car theft and stealing of rams.
Edited By: Joe Idika/Felix Ajide (NAN)
DR Congo police fire tear gas to disperse protests over election chief
Thousands of opposition activists marched across Democratic Republic of Congo’s capital Kinshasa on Monday in renewed protest against the nomination of the election commission’s new head.
Demonstrators braved rain and a ban on protests because of the COVID-19 outbreak to voice their opposition to the proposed appointment of Ronsard Malonda as president of the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI).
Critics in Congo say Malonda is too close to former President Joseph Kabila, who still wields strong influence, and say his oversight of a contested 2018 election was problematic.
Police used tear gas to disperse crowds near parliament and in the east of the capital, where Jean-Pierre Bemba, a senior figure in the opposition party alliance of LAMUKA, led a march of thousands, a Reuters witness said.
At least three people died in nationwide protests over Malonda’s appointment last week.
Malonda was a senior member of CENI during the 2018 election which was marred by accusations the commission tampered with results to deny victory to LAMUKA’s candidate Martin Fayulu.
“We do not want Ronsard Malonda at the head of the CENI, he is the driving force behind electoral cheating,” said a LAMUKA supporter named Edmond, who declined to give his full name.
Last week LAMUKA in a statement called Malonda an “agent” of Kabila’s FCC political alliance, and demanded a financial and operational audit of CENI.
The last month has seen rising tensions in the ruling coalition between supporters of President Felix Tshisekedi and those of his predecessor Joseph Kabila, who maintains extensive power through his parliamentary majority.
Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)
7 police officers killed in autocrash in Kaduna
The police on Tuesday said they lost seven of their officers attached to the Special Forces Unit in a ghastly motor accident on their way to Katsina.
He said 11 other victims of the accident sustained injuries and were currently in a hospital in Kaduna receiving medical attention.
Mba said the incident, which occurred at Jaji town along Kaduna-Zaria Road on Sunday, involved an 18-seater Toyota Hummer Bus conveying 18 personnel of the unit.
The FPRO said the deceased were part of an additional deployment made recently by the force to boost the ongoing fight against bandits in Katsina State.
Mba said the I-G described the incident as a huge loss to the Force, adding that it was one of the unfortunate sacrifices officers often encounter in the line of duty.
According to him, the I-G described the deceased as “Heroes of Peace”.
He said that a team of police medical personnel had been dispatched to Kaduna State where the 11 officers that survived the accident were receiving medical attention.
The FPRO said three of the deceased officers had been buried according to Islamic rites while the remains of the other four had been deposited in a morgue.
“The I-G has directed the Police Accounts and Budget Department to ensure the immediate payment of the burial expenses, benefits and other entitlements to the families of the deceased officers,” he said.
Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
Insecurity : IGP approves two units of mobile police force for Kogi
He said that men and officers of Unit 7 had already commenced operation while men and officers of Unit 77 just arrived the state on July 10.
He said that the state police Commissioner, Mr Ede Ayuba, had started deploying the officers and men of Unit 77 to Okene and its environ.
Aya said that the establishment of the two units brings to three the number of mobile police force units in the state.
According to him, the establishment of units 70 and 77 was in response to the rising cases of kidnappings, killings and armed robbery on Okene -Lokoja road and other parts of the state.
He assured motorists and travellers plying Okene-Lokoja road of their safety, saying that the mobile policemen had been charged to take full control of the road.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
Court remands man for allegedly battering policeman on duty
A Grade I Area Court, Kubwa, on Tuesday ordered that a 30-year-old man, Ifeanyi Ekene who allegedly battered a policeman while discharging his duty, be remanded in a correctional facility.
The police charged the defendant with criminal force and assault to deter public servant while performing his lawful duty, causing grievous hurt and resistance to arrest.
The Judge, Mr Muhammad Adamu, adjourned the case until Aug. 17 for hearing.
Adamu added that the defendant’s bail will be considered before the said date after the defence counsel, Moses Ugwummadu, makes a formal bail application.
Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Babajide Olanipekun told the court that a distress call was received at the Kubwa police station from one Comfort Alegkeuno of Cheval Plaza, Kubwa on July 9.
Olanipekun alleged that a team of police men led by Insp. Stephen Sunday, attached to surveillance patrol team, Kubwa, went to the scene and the defendant attacked the Inspector without provocation.
He further said the defendant, pushed the Inspector whom he knew was a public servant, dragged him on the ground and inflicted injuries on him as a result.
The prosecution counsel added that the defendant’s action was in a bid to resist arrest and deter the policemen from discharging their duty.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 267, 247 and 173 of the Penal Code.
The defendant pleaded not guilty.
The defence counsel however made a bail application for his client saying he was presumed innocent until proven guilty and urged the court to grant bail.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
FRSC seeks Police, Civil Defense collaboration in Bayelsa
Ogom noted that inter-agency cooperation was critical in road safety administration and said his visit was to seek more synergy to protect lives and property of road users.
“The visit is a kind of creating a symbolic relationship; there is need for support from the sister agencies to succeed in our assignment in the state because we alone cannot do it.
“In all, I am happy with the cordial working relationships that already exist among security agencies toward achieving the common national goal.
“Beside collaboration, we still need to tell the people that FRSC was committed to making the roads more safer.”
He advised motorists to ensure that they obtained genuine driving license and number plate, and avoid using expired tyres, over-loading and speeding.
Mr Nkereuwem Akpan, Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa Police Command, commended the new sector commander on the visit and pledged support to make FRSC operations succeed in the state.
“We will continue with the partnership between the Nigeria Police and the FRSC, especially in the areas of operations, intelligence sharing and prosecution of offenders,’’ Akpan said.
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
Police arrest another couple for causing grievous harm to daughter in Enugu
The Police Command in Enugu State has arrested another couple for allegedly causing grievous body harm on a 12-year-old daughter in Enugu.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, said in a statement on Tuesday that the couple was arrested on July 12, in Okwojo village in Ngwo community in Udi Local Government Area(LGA)of the state.
“The Command wishes to inform the general public that it has arrested one Effiok Umo and his wife, Nnenna Umo, both of Okwojo village in Ngwo community, for allegedly abusing and assaulting their 12-years old daughter (name withheld), thereby inflicting her bodily harm.
“Consequently, the commissioner directed the Divisional Police Officer, 9th Mile Police Station, to ensure the suspects are arrested and prosecuted accordingly.
“The Commissioner, however, frowned at the unbecoming occurrence of acts of child abuse, assault and inflicting of grievous bodily harm on children.
“The state police boss has vowed to prosecute the suspects to serve as deterrent to parents/guardians, who intend or have been committing such inhuman acts that infringes upon the personality and fundamental human rights of children, especially susceptible ones.
“He further warns parents/guardians to desist from maltreating their children/wards at slightest provocation, but instead exercise due caution while punishing them for acts of wrongdoing to avoid causing them bodily harms and/or lifetime physical and psychological trauma,’’ he said.
The spokesman said that preliminary investigations revealed that the couple were used to abusing and assaulting the child for little or no justifiable reasons by using dangerous objects on her.
According to him, these dangerous objects included- sticks, electric wires, heels of shoes and so on to mercilessly flog, hit and/or beat her up.
“The height of it happened on July 10, at about 10:30 p.m. when the wife, who is the child’s stepmother, abused and assaulted her to the extent of inflicting her bodily harm on the excuse that she dozed-off while slicing onions required for food being prepared the said night.
“This led to neighbours, who have found their act of inhuman treatment of the child unbearable, reporting the matter to the police through the NHRC,’’ he said.
Ndukwe advised residents of the state to promptly report any person(s) found committing acts that impinge on the well-being and fundamental human rights of vulnerable children to the nearest police station.
“They are to call the command’s hotlines on: 08032003702, 08075390883, 08086671202 or 08098880172,’’ he said.
Police hunt Black Forest for homeless man who threatened officers
German police deployed helicopters, tracker dogs, special forces and hundreds of officers on Monday to track down a 31-year-old described as a “loner” who disarmed four police officers before disappearing into the Black Forest.
Police could offer no motive for the behaviour of the man, who threatened the officers in the small town of Oppenau west of Stuttgart and some 25 km from the French border.
He is reported to be armed with a bow and arrows, a knife and a pistol. He is also believed to know his way about the forest in the region.
Residents of the town of fewer than 4,800 inhabitants were urged to stay indoors as police closed roads in the area and a flight ban was imposed over the area. Schools and child day-care centres were also closed.
The man being sought was described as homeless and a loner who was known to people in Oppenau. He has had previous encounters with the police, for illegal possession of weapons among other things.
Oppenau Mayor Uwe Gaiser said: “This heavily armed man has plenty of opportunities for hiding in the woods around here.”
The incident began when police attempted to conduct a check on the man in a hut on the edge of the forest on Sunday morning.
“He was initially very cooperative, with the result that it was totally unexpected when he suddenly pulled out a weapon,” police spokesman Yannick Hilger said.
He forced the officers to place their weapons on the ground before fleeing into the forest.
Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)
German police officers jailed for using office for sexual abuse
Two German police officers each received prison terms of two years and three months on Monday for abusing their office to sexually abuse a Polish-born woman whose documentation they were investigating.
The prosecution had earlier dropped a charge of aggravated rape by the two men, aged 23 and 28.
The court found that the officers had travelled with the woman to her home in Marlishausen in the state of Thuringia in September 2019 to check her documents after doubting the authenticity of documentation she had presented.
It acknowledged the possibility that the woman had initiated sexual intercourse but found that she had done this out of fear of the consequences should she not do so.
Where the prosecution had called for a suspended sentence, the court found that the crime had been deeply shocking and damaging to the integrity of the police and imposed a prison term.
It left open the possibility of appeal.
Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Coronavirus: Specialist hospital commends union for suspending strike
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects
- United States-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi