Police uncover plots to attack, destroy oil facilities
He said the elements were claiming to be climate and environmental activists.
“These plots, which are politically motivated, are aimed at sabotaging oil installations with intended negative consequences on national security, economic development and global oil market,“he said.
He said that the commissioners and other field commanders have also been directed to put in place proactive measures to neutralise these threats and bring the plotters to book.
“The I-G warned of dire consequences for persons or group of persons who may want to resort to the use of violence in advancing their political or economic goals,“he said.
Adamu urged citizens to remain vigilant and report all suspicious characters and plots to the law enforcement agents.
He reaffirmed his commitment to ensuring adequate security of lives, protection of national assets and the sanctity of citizens political freedom and democracy.
Police confirm killing of 6 in Rivers community
The Police Command in Rivers has confirmed the killing of six persons during a violent protest by angry youths in Chokocho, Etche Local Government Area of the state.
He debunked some media reports that 15 persons were killed during an alleged deadly attack on commuters travelling through Etche communities to Owerri and beyond.
The social media reports added that the angry youths also burnt a police station as well as engaged the army and police in a gun battle.
Ordinarily, we would have ignored this baseless and unverifiable report that is intended to cause panic and tension in the state.
In order not to allow the public form a dangerous opinion, we therefore thought it wise and expedient to correct this fake news,” he stated.
Omoni said the command had deployed mobile policemen after receiving a distress call on Dec. 7 following a blockage of Okomoko-Chokocho Bridge by protesters.
He said policemen, on arrival at the scene, dismantled the barricade and restored normalcy to the area.
Thereafter, a team led by the Divisional Police Officer, CSP Joseph Anche, recovered five corpses in a river in the area.
This discovery, however, sparked off another round of protest, which our men were able to contain.
At the end of the day, six persons were killed contrary to the 15 deaths reported, while no police station was burnt and no commuter was attacked and killed as speculated,” he said.
He added that the investigation would enable the police to determine the circumstances surrounding the killings as well as unravel the identities of the perpetrators of the crime.
“So, CP Dandaura is appealing to residents of Etche to remain calm and trust in the ability of the command to protect their lives and properties,” he said.
Suspected robbers kill one in Makurdi -Police
The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Catherine Anene, told Nigeria News Agency in Makurdi that the incident took place at Asase I, by SRS Junction North Bank around 4 a.m. on Thursday morning.
She said that the gunmen came in form of armed robbers and killed the victim at his residence at Asase I.
The PPRO further disclosed that the Command has commenced investigation into the matter and urged the public with useful information to come forward with it as they would be shielded.
Ugela further expressed the company’s deepest condolences over the lost.
Unknown persons kill 2 security guards in Benue -Police
Anene explained that the guards were attacked at their place of work at a fish pond belonging to Steam Fast Foods.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the land where the fish pond was situated was in dispute and in court.
Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, says the service has fully begun air operation code named “Operation Rattle Snake’’ to finally wipe out remnant of Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.
He said the visit was to appraise the progress of the operation, interact with personnel and encourage them in the execution of the air campaign against the insurgents.
The idea of the operation Rattle Snake is to further deal with the issue of terrorism in the northeast and give necessary support to the ground troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) and Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF).
From the briefs; I am happy with the progress so far made, we have identified a number of targets, neutralised them and it will continue.
The rate of efforts now is much more than what we used to have in other operations. We have quite a number of airplanes and many more will be deployed to support the operation.
The idea is to take full advantage of the situation on ground to degrade Boko Haram insurgents and ensure a secured country,” Abubakar said.
The campaign targets selected locations in the region to further degrade remnants of the insurgents.
Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
The Nigerian Army says the recent video clip allegedly released by Boko Haram terrorists portraying capture and killing of some Nigerian soldiers was the fabrication of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, in a statement on Wednesday said that the video was not an occurrence that took place in Nigeria.
He urged the public and personnel of Nigerian army, especially those in the North East theatre of operation, to disregard the video.
According to him, it is a video concocted to cause disunity and fragmentation of Nigeria.
Accordingly, the call by one Simon Ekpa, (the principal actor in the clip), calling on soldiers of South East extraction presently serving in the North East to desert the Army and return to Biafra proved it.
Also, the call on South Easterners not to join the Nigerian Army is an obvious indication of the essence and objective of the masterminds of this fake video which should be discountenanced by the public.
Meanwhile the leadership of the Nigerian Army wish to also reiterate its unflinching commitment to sustain the war against terrorism.
It shall not be deterred by the evil machinations or propagandist activities of mischievous persons whose main interest is the disunity of our beloved nation,” he said.
Nigeria News Agency recalls that a video purportedly released by the terrorists portraying the stage showing the capture and killing of some Nigerian soldiers by the terrorists group went viral on social media on Tuesday.
- Anthony Joshua thanks Nigerian envoy for inspiring him
- Senate mandates committee to investigate alleged invasion of Federal High court in Abuja
- Oil prices rise on OPEC deficit forecast
- 2 docked over alleged receipt of 4 stolen vehicles
- Electrician bags 10 months imprisonment for property theft
- Coconuts: Fear of seizure by Customs can affect production in Badagry- Lagos Govt
- Mechanic in court for allegedly stealing motor parts
- 2 men bag 2 years’ imprisonment each for assaulting police officer
- Ondo State: 400,000 residents to benefit from health scheme
- Court remands man, 55, for allegedly defiling daughter
- Police confirm killing of 6 in Rivers community
- 9 terror suspects face remand custody hearings in Denmark
- Gov. Abiodun sends list of 18 commissioner nominees to Ogun Assembly
- Netanyahu to give up ministerial portfolios by Jan. 1
- Ondo lawmakers hail Akeredolu’s infrastructural development drive
- Agriculturist advises farmers to cultivate Cassava with Vitamin A nutrients to curb malnutrition
- Ukraine welcomes U.S. sanctions against Nord Stream-2 pipeline
- Trader remanded for allegedly defiling neigbhour’s daughter
- Katsina govt. committed to making LGCs more productive-‘Commissioner
- Border closure has not violated free trade treaty – says Aondoakaa
- Yuletide: Transporters make brisk business in Jos
- Yemen’s Hodeida remains most dangerous for civilians, aid groups say
- Nigeria’s Iginla-Aina bags 3rd highest national British honour
- Suspected robbers kill one in Makurdi -Police
- 5 female entrepreneurs win UK-Nigeria Tech Hub Pitch competition
- Unknown persons kill 2 security guards in Benue -Police
- Jega seeks review of admissions into tertiary institutions
- NGO urges media to encourage women in politics, promote inclusiveness in governance
- Artist urges colleagues to do more research
- Macron, Sahel leaders postpone summit on French intervention
- Kaduna council harps on citizens’ engagement in governance, policy formulation
- Scavenger jailed 3 months for stealing N2,000
- Refund to bank customers stand at N76.7bn, $20.9m -CBN
- FRSC warns motorists against traffic violation
- German Koch won’t bid for FIFA post out of respect for French rival
- Power: FRC satisfied with work at Ibusa Injection Station
- Thai king’s coronation to wrap up with elaborate boat procession
- Imo, Nasarawa Governors for Hounkpatin’s inauguration as President, Beninois in Nigeria
- Imo, Nasarawa Governors to attend inauguration of Hounkpatin as President, Beninese in Nigeria
- Bangladesh’s top court denies release for jailed ex-premier Zia
- Petroleum ministry warns public to discountenance fake Sylva’s social media accounts
- Tackling gender based violence in Nigeria
- Minimum Wage: NLC prepares for showdown with state governors Dec. 31
- FG to establish community museums to boost tourism – Lai Mohammed
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport