The Zamfara Police Command says it will advise the state government to close down some identified markets in the state where rustled cows are being sold.
The State Commissioner of Police (CP), Alhaji Usman Nagogo, disclosed this on Tuesday in Gusau while meeting with the leaders of Miyetti-Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) and other stakeholders in the state.
Nagogo noted that the measure became necessary considering the increase in cattle rustling activities in the state.
“We learnt there are some identified markets where rustled animals, especially cows, are being sold; we consider this as a big threat to security activities in the state,” he said.
The state, he said, had recorded various successes in tackling insecurity through peaceful dialogue.
“Despite the measures taken by the state government, it is still facing serious increase in cattle rustling activities.
“We consider these markets as major factors fueling cattle rustling activities in the state; hence we have invited stakeholders for this meeting to discuss the problem and find solutions.
“We are going to brief the state government about this meeting, then we will advise for the closure of those identified markets,” he said.
Nigeria News Agency reports that the meeting was attended by the leaders of MACBAN, Butchers Association and Cattle Dealers Association among others.
Chairman, Miyetti-Allah in Zamfara, Umar Aliyu, commended the CP for inviting them for the meeting.
Aliyu, who lamented the increase of cattle rustling in the state, called on the stakeholders to support and cooperate with government on the peace initiatives.
In his remark, the Sarkin-Fawa of Gusau, Alhaji Malami Sarkin Fawa, assured the continued support and cooperation of all butchers in ensuring peace and stability in the state.
He urged the police command to investigate the leadership crisis in the Cattle Dealers Association in the state.
Edited by Moses Solanke/Maharazu Ahmed
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges