Political Advisors gather in Beijing for annual meeting
Beijing, March 1, 2019 (Xinhua/NNN) Members of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) National Committee are heading to Beijing for the top advisory body’s annual session.
The session will open on Sunday with more than 2,000 members expected to be in attendance.
Political advisors from southwest China’s Sichuan Province and central Hubei Province were among the first to arrive on Friday.
As this year marks the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, and a crucial year in the country’s bid to build a moderately prosperous society in all respects, poverty alleviation and people’s wellbeing are drawing very close attention.
“I’m keeping a close eye on the poverty relief issues in areas with abject poverty.
“The key to preventing people from falling back into poverty due to illnesses lies in better training of health workers,’’ said He Yanzheng, one of the members
“I have been closely following the issue of building a system of family and community doctors for a long time. I have also done research at community and county-level hospitals,’’ said Zhang Xiaolian, another political advisor.
“I hope my proposal will help improve people’s access to healthcare and ease the crowds at big hospitals,’’ Zhang said.
Elected from all walks of life, CPPCC members form the think tank for the government, and the legislative and judicial organs, submitting proposals on major political and social issues.
The main functions of the CPPCC are to conduct political consultation, exercise democratic supervision and participate in the discussion and handling of state affairs. (Xinhua/NNN)
Edited by Abigael Joshua/Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- Mongolia reports 13 new COVID-19 cases
- Moscow says visit to U.S.-funded disease lab in Georgia should not involve third party
- Claims of China “covering up” coronavirus inaccurate: U.S. media
- One year anniversary: Makinde distributes seedlings, herbicides to Oyo farmers
- Backgrounder: Russia’s legal system for national security
- Spotlight: U.S. racial wound worsens as coronavirus claims over 100,000 lives
- Libya extends curfew over COVID-19 for 10 days
- Bolsonaro under pressure over his Trump-following route
- India’s western Maharashtra state sees daily record of 105 COVID-19 deaths
- Trump to issue executive order on social media — reports
- India’s COVID-19 death toll rises to 4,531 as total cases reach 158,333
- Nigeria records 389 new cases of COVID-19, highest daily figure ever, NCDC says
- New Zealand job numbers fall sharply
- Libya reports highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases
- New Zealand confirms no new case of COVID-19 for 6 consecutive days
- S.Korean president’s approval rating stays high at 61.5 pct: poll
- Australian authorities baffled over death of 30-year-old man with COVID-19
- News Corp Australia announces shutdown of over 100 print titles in major digital shift
- Armed man shot dead by police on busy Australian freeway
- S.Korea cuts interest rate to new record low of 0.50 pct over COVID-19