Politics: Women need legal framework for increased participation – INEC
By Olasunkanmi Onifade
Obidegwu said this during a two-day training on women to women voters education in Abuja, organised by the National Women Trust Fund (NWTF), INEC and other partners.
“The National Gender Policy is just a policy, because there is no legal backing, it is either people abide by it or not.
She, however, said more still needed to be done to increase women participation in politics and advised women to vote their preferred candidates and not be bought by politicians.
The Chief Executive Officer of NWTF, Ms Mufuliat Fijabi, said the training would enable the trainees to reach out to more than 500 women direct or indirectly on voter education and peaceful elections.
“Women should also advise their wards not to be used as thugs by politicians.
“The trainees will be given necessary skills that will ensure their effective conduct on ‘pair to pair’, `women to women’ voter education exercise.
“The women were selected from various parts of the Federal Capital Territory in order to reach women at the grass roots,” she said.
Fijabi said real democracy would be achieved if women were educated on voting and electoral processes. (NNN)
Edited by Remi Koleoso/Nyisom Dore
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory
- Lagos reinvigorates e-governance, boosts network
- NITDA presents national outsourcing strategy to stakeholders
- Ogun set to resume normal business, eases lockdown
- Northern Governors congratulate Masari @70
- Austria to pay artists 1,000 euros a month to weather Covid-19 crisis
- Akande emerges Chairman of Ibadan LG Properties Company
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
- Gov Okowa’s wife donates food items to 5 correctional centres
- COVID-19: We’ve yet to receive promised ventilators from U.S. – Minister
- OYO APC inaugurates Alao-Akala led reconciliation committee
- Ibadan Poly manufactures ventilator, hand washing machine
- COVID-19: NCDC striving to increase PCR capacity for testing across Nigeria – DG
- FG approves police reorganisation, additional department, zonal commands
- COVID-19: NYSC corps members to wed by 5 a.m to avoid crowd