Connect with us

Foreign

Pompeo hails UK ban of Huawei from 5G networks

Published

on

Pompeo hails UK ban of Huawei from 5G networks

United States Secretary of State, Michael Pompeo, has hailed United Kingdom’s decision to ban Chinese telecom giant, Huawei, from its 5G networks.


Reacting to the UK’s move through his official Twitter handle, Pompeo said the decision would ”advance transatlantic security”.

He added that it would also protect the privacy of citizens, national security and “free-world values” in the 5G era.

UK’s Digital and Culture Minister, Oliver Dowden, announced the ban while addressing the House of Commons on Tuesday, according to the BBC.

Dowden reportedly said the ban was necessitated by new United States sanctions on the embattled Chinese company in May that had “significantly changed” the landscape.

“Given the uncertainty this creates around Huawei’s supply chain, the UK can no longer be confident it will be able to guarantee the security of future Huawei 5G equipment,” he said.

The decision is a big win for the administration of United States President Donald Trump, which has been pressuring allies to cut Huawei off their 5G networks.

The administration accuses the Chinese government of using the company to conduct cyber espionage, an accusation the company strongly denies.

In 2019, the United States government threatened to severe intelligence sharing ties with allies that patronise Huawei 5G products.

The government went further to ban the sale of conductors with United States technology to Huawei regardless of where they are produced in the world.

In June, Pompeo declared that “the tide is turning against Huawei as citizens around the world are waking up to the danger of the Chinese Communist Party’s surveillance state.”

Editedby Abdulfatah Babatunde

Harrison Arubu: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

New York prosecutor investigating Trump for fraud in fight over tax records

Published

on


A New York prosecutor on Monday suggested he was investigating President Trump and his company for possible insurance and bank fraud – a much broader probe than previously known in an attempt to obtain Trump’s financial records.


District attorney Cyrus Vance made the disclosure in a court filing, arguing that Trump’s accounting firm should be forced to comply with a subpoena for his tax returns.

The subpoena is part of a grand jury investigation which until now was believed to focus on possible hush-money payments to two women who say they had affairs with the former real estate mogul.

The filing was in response to a bid by Trump’s lawyers last week to block the subpoena, calling it “wildly overbroad” and “issued in bad faith.”

Vance said Trump’s attorneys were relying on a false assumption that the investigation was limited to hush-money payments, without specifying the focus of the probe.

The district attorney said in the filing that “undisputed” news reports about “possibly extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organisation” made it clear there was a legal basis for the subpoena.

In early July, the United States Supreme Court rejected Trump’s claims of presidential immunity in criminal investigations, potentially paving the way for Vance to obtain the records.

The Supreme Court did not order the tax documents to be handed over, and the ruling indicated the president could try to fight the subpoenas in lower courts.

Trump has fought the subpoena for nearly a year and his lawyers have vowed to continue the battle in lower courts.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Nigeria’s candidate for WTO chief prioritizes fixing dispute settlement system if selected

Published

on


Nigeria’s candidate for the top job of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said fixing the Geneva-based body’s dispute settlement system would be one of her priorities, if selected as the new chief of the WTO.


Okonjo-Iweala, who is competing with seven other nominees for the position of director-general of the WTO, told Xinhua in a recent interview that her top priorities if selected, would be preparing for the WTO’s 12th Ministerial Conference (MC12) in Kazakhstan in 2021.

She also hoped to work on restoring the dispute settlement system and updating the WTO’s rule book.

The WTO’s dispute settlement body is currently paralysed.

The Appellate Body, considered as the Supreme Court for global trade disputes, is supposed to have seven judges and needs a minimum of three judges to function.

The United States administration has been blocking new appointments for more than two years, with United States officials claiming that the court had gone beyond its remit.

“I would be focusing, if I get the job, on the dispute settlement system because this is the fundamental pillar of the WTO,’’ Okonjo-Iweala said.

“If you have a rules-based organisation, you must have a place where rules are arbitrated and that’s what happens with the dispute settlement system.

“So, restoring that will be a top priority as well.’’

Nigeria nominated Okonjo-Iweala, an economist who twice, served as Nigeria’s finance minister and briefly acted as foreign minister, for the post of WTO director-general in June.

She also had a 25-year career at the World Bank, including as a managing director.

The candidate, who also sits on the board of Twitter and the Gavi Vaccine Alliance, said she was confident to win the selection process and that she would be a listener-in-chief as well as a tough negotiator.

“I have strong political skills and negotiation skills.

“I think that’s very much needed; I am a consensus-builder and I’m a good listener too.’’

The candidate showed her confidence to “find a way to unlock the seeming division’’ on the trade side, between China and the United States, underlining that finding areas of mutual interest and to build trust within the WTO trading system would be important.

“Actually, if you listen to the two members, they have some things in common,’’ Okonjo-Iweala added.

“The dispute settlement system of the WTO is valued by both, they want it to reform, they don’t want it to disappear.’’

Okonjo-Iweala also noted that she hopes China will play the role of an economic growth engine in the current COVID-19 pandemic as it did during the 2008 global financial crisis.

“I think the best thing China can do is to recover quickly.

“Because it’s one of the engines of growth in the world and it’s almost a quarter of world trade,’ she told Xinhua.

“So, if it recovers quickly, it means that it can help the rest of the world recover.

“So, that’s the role I would see for China.’’

Roberto Azevedo, the incumbent WTO chief, announced in May that he will officially leave his post on Aug. 31, a year before his term expires.

The second phase of the selection process, in which the candidates “make themselves known to members’’, will end on Sept. 7 and then the General Council chairperson will consult with all WTO members before making the final decision.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

United States judge whose son was killed by gunman speaks out

Published

on


A United States Federal Judge whose son was killed and husband wounded by a gunman disguised as a FedEx driver detailed her last moments with her only child in an emotional video posted online.


“Two weeks ago, my life as I knew it changed in an instant and my family will never be the same,” United States District Judge Esther Salas said in the video posted to YouTube on Monday.

The attack on Salas’ family in New Jersey happened July 19. The accused gunman, attorney Roy Den Hollander, was later found dead in an apparent suicide in upstate New York.

He is described as an anti-feminist lawyer, and officials said Salas had recently presided over one of his cases.

That morning the Salas family was getting ready to clean up after a party. They had just celebrated her son’s 20th birthday.

“Daniel always wanted to spend his birthdays with his dad and me so he asked that we host a party for a few of his Catholic University of America friends,” she says in the video.

Despite the pandemic, they agreed.

“We thought we could adhere to safety guidelines,” she says.

After going to church with her husband, Salas said she went alone to the basement to wake up her son.

“We were chatting, as we always do, and Daniel said, ‘Mom, let’s keep talking. I love talking to you, Mom,’” Salas says, struggling to hold back tears. “And it was at that exact moment that the doorbell rang.”

Her son ran upstairs. Moments later, she heard gunshots and screams.

“I later learned that this monster, who had a FedEx package in his hand, opened fire,” she says in the video, her voice shaking.

“But Daniel, being Daniel, protected his father and he took the shooter’s first bullet directly to the chest.”

Her son later died. Her husband, Mark Anderl, a 63-year-old criminal defense lawyer and former prosecutor, was shot three times, she explains. One bullet struck his chest, another his stomach, and the third his right forearm.

“While my husband is still in the hospital recovering from his multiple surgeries, we are living every parent’s worst nightmare,” she pauses for a moment, before adding: “Making preparations to bury our only child, Daniel.”

Salas noted that the gunman was easily able to find her personal information online. She then pleads for lawmakers to help protect the private details of federal judges, so no one else suffers the same fate as she and her family.

“My son’s death cannot be in vain, which is why I am begging those in power to do something to help my brothers and sisters on the bench,” she says.

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Missing sailors found in Micronesia thanks to SOS written in sand

Published

on


dpa) Three missing sailors have been found on a tiny island in the western Pacific after they wrote an outsized SOS in the sand that was spotted from the air, according to a statement by Australia’s Defence Ministry.


The men were found on Sunday after they had been missing for three days and media reports say they are in good health.

Their call for help, written on the beach of Pikelot Island, 190 km west of where they had set out, was seen by Australian and United States aircraft, the statement said.

A ship, the HMAS Canberra, headed to the sailors’ aid and a helicopter landed on the beach, bringing water and food for the men and carrying out identity and health checks.

The men were reportedly sailing between the atolls Poluwat and Pulap, a journey of 42 km, when they veered off course and ran out of fuel.

Pikelot Island, which is only 450 metres long, is part of the Caroline Islands, a scattered archipelago in the western Pacific.

A Micronesian patrol vessel, FSS Independence, is heading to the island to pick up the men.

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Sri Lankan police probe use of cat to smuggle drugs to prison New York prosecutor investigating Trump for fraud in fight over tax records Asaba film village, leisure park will boost economy, create jobs – Okowa COVID-19: SON, committee review safety guidelines for tourism sector resumption Ondo: We don’t substitute nominated candidates -INEC Buhari greets retired AVM Shekari at 80 Nigeria’s candidate for WTO chief prioritizes fixing dispute settlement system if selected COVID-19 test no longer a requirement for resumption of students in Ogun — Abiodun PDP advises Oshiomhole not to overheat Edo polity Edo 2020: PDP Chieftain, Afegbua, pledges support for APC’s Ize-Iyamu Buhari mourns Khalifa Tidiane Niass, Senegal-based Islamic leader Imo police parade traditional ruler over alleged kidnapping We’re working to ensure Nigerians have access to COVID-19 vaccines when available – NCDC Buhari writes Funtua’s family, says he’s pillar of support to his govt. NDA screening test to hold Aug. 15 – Registrar COVID-19: Nigeria donates PPEs worth N67m to Sao Tome and Principe Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off WAEC: Kano Govt. to fumigate 528 schools Resumption: FCTA fumigates schools, distributes face masks, sanitiser NNPC mourns former GMD, Dawha School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister Custodian Investment moves to purchase 51% equity stake in UPDC Resumption: Anambra giving schools 1,000 infrared thermometers — Commissioner COVID-19: PTF, INEC working on elections protocols-  PTF Chairman Inauguration of EDHA members- elect will be prioritised- Ize-Iyamu MWUN seeks compliance with govt. directives on stevedores, dockworkers Devastating effects of COVID-19 pandemic responsible for sack of pilots- Air Peace  Edo election: PDP leader pledges support of Ososo people for Obaseki Doctors suspend strike in Ondo Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan resume talks on disputed dam UI vice-chancellorship: Search team to get eligible candidate  Presidency says TUC planned protest against EFCC, NDDC, NSITF ill-advised, uncalled for Labour Party dissociates self from CUPP lawsuit against FG Ondo spends N3.13bn on workers’ allowances, hazard bonus COVID-19 vaccines now in phase 3 clinical trials– WHO United States judge whose son was killed by gunman speaks out Flour Mills announces AGM attendance by proxy Sept. 10 Gov. AbdulRazak constitutes visitation panels to Kwara Poly, Aviation College Oyo development agency completes 788 projects Insect can escape after being eaten by frog, scientists find Nigerian Breweries earns N152bn revenue in 6 months FCTA directs schools to re-open for graduating class students Tuesday SS 3 students resume Wednesday in Kwara Attack: Governors express solidarity with Gov. Zulum Sterling Bank reports 10% growth in half-year net interest income Missing sailors found in Micronesia thanks to SOS written in sand Ogun CJ swears-in 6 new Chief, Senior Magistrates Ondo 2020: We may suffer defeat over choice of running mate, PDP Chieftain warns Eid-el-Kabir: Kano records low turnout as workers resume duty NSE resumes trading for August with 0.30% growth