By Temitope Ponle
Abuja, Feb. 16, 2019 (NNN) The UK Government has urged Nigerians to be patient and support the democratic process following the postponement of the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
In a statement in Abuja on Saturday, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing, said Britain recognised the frustrations of Nigerians and urged them to vote on the re-scheduled dates.
“The British High Commission supports the joint statement made by the heads of the international observer missions on the postponement of the 2019 Nigerian elections.
“We recognise the frustrations of many Nigerians, including those involved in the delivery, supervision and observation of the election and those who travelled considerable distances to exercise their democratic right to vote.
“We urge the Nigerian people to come out to vote next weekend in the re-scheduled elections.”
Laing also urged political parties to exercise moderation and to preserve an atmosphere of peace and calm to allow elections to take place in a secure environment.
She also reiterated the High Commission’s continued support to Nigeria’s democracy and for the 2019 elections “including through redeploying our observer team to be present next weekend”. (NNN)
Edited by Chioma Ugboma/Chukwudi Ekezie
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study