Enugu State Government has assured Nigerian Army of its continuous partnership in ensuring safety of lives and property in the state.
Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi gave the assurance at the closing of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army 2019 Inter-Brigade Combat Proficiency Competition on Thursday in Enugu.
Ugwuanyi, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof. Simon Ortuanya, noted that the army had given “great support’’ to the state in its quest to ensure that the state remained the safest in the country.
“Today marks a milestone in the history of the Nigerian army.
“This event clearly portrays readiness of the Nigerian army to defend the territorial integrity of the country as well as handle internal security duties professionally.
“As a government, we will continuously partner with the Nigerian army to ensure that our state and our people remain safe and secured,’’ he said.
The governor lauded the General Officer Commanding the Division for a successful competition.
In an address, the GOC of the Division, Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Maikobi, lauded the troops of the participating formations for their discipline during the competition.
Maikobi urged the troops that did well to keep the flag flying; while those that had deficiencies to strive to improve on their performance.
“The division will continue on the part of the vision of the Chief of Army Staff meant to professionalise the army in all ramifications.
“The division is grateful to Enugu state government for its support so far as well as being present in this closing ceremony,’’ he said.
Nigeria News Agency reports that 34 Brigade, Owerri was the overall best performing formation in all events of the competition.
The 13 Brigade, Calabar, came second; 82 Division Garrison got third position and 14 Brigade, Ohafia came fourth; thus, going home with the wooden spoon.
Major Sobor Beke, Team Leader of 34 Brigade, Owerri, attributed the success of the f brigade in the competition to discipline and resilience of officers and soldiers.
- Gov. Bagudu sets up committee to refund Hajj deposits to pilgrims
- Gov. Bagudu distributes CACOVID food, relief materials to 38,047 households
- COVID-19: Osun Govt warns against indiscriminate decontamination, fumigation
- FG launches distribution of agricultural inputs in Cross River
- COVID-19: Ooni urges Africans to contribute to global development
- NSCDC pledges maximum support to Amotekun in Oyo state
- FG to pay June hazard allowance of medical workers from Aug. 10
- Northern Governors condemn attacks in Southern Kaduna
- NAFDAC advises careful examination of products before buying
- Ooni tasks govt on food security as Ife celebrate yam festival