Putin has carefully cultivated a macho image during his 19 years in power with photo-ops depicting him riding a horse bare-chested in Siberia, taking a dip in icy water and piloting a firefighting plane.
The 66-year-old, whose ratings have slipped in recent months, was shown on state television in jeans and a jacket with a raised collar, riding a brown horse flanked by female police officers on white horses.
They cantered gently around a training facility for horse-backed police in Moscow followed by other uniformed officers riding in rows.
Putin afterwards gave the police officers a horse named Golden Ray, Russian news agencies reported.
Ahead of International Women’s Day on Friday, Putin said women were increasingly taking an interest in working in law enforcement agencies and that just over a quarter of employees at the interior ministry were now women.
Pollsters say Putin’s ratings have dipped recently due to years of falling real incomes and an unpopular move by the government in 2018 to raise the retirement age.
- S. African gov’t unveils guidelines for religious gatherings amid pandemic
- S.Africa to open up economy from June under eased lockdown regulations
- Indian PM meets home minister as 4th phase of COVID-19 lockdown nears completion
- NEMA distributes relief materials to 478 victims of banditry in Sokoto
- France’s Renault to slash around 15,000 jobs worldwide
- Excited Plateau rural community celebrates first borehole
- COVID-19: AMAC Chairman donates 3 months salary for council wage bill
- COVID-19: Group calls for intensified prayers to end virus
- World Bank approves 500 mln USD to help Philippines mitigate impact of COVID-19 pandemic
- Workers work at garment factory in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Japan’s unemployment rate hits 2-year high in April due to pandemic
- Covid-19: Catholic Bishop donates food items to 500 people in Plateau
- COVID-19: Over 100 PWDs sensitized on protection, safety, positive lifestyles
- Interview: Jet Li vows support to entrepreneurship dev’t in Africa
- MPR reduction: NECA commends CBN
- NEMA donates building materials to OAUTH, Ile-Ife
- Kwara records 2 new cases of COVID-19, total now 87
- Iran’s confirmed COVID-19 cases hit 146,668
- 5.2-magnitude quake strikes Japan’s Gifu Prefecture, no tsunami warning issued
- Tobacco giant to take legal action against South African sales ban