Qu Dongyu of China has emerged as the Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) to succeed José Graziano da Silva of Brazil.
This was contained in press statement by FAO media unit on Sunday to News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja.
The statement noted that Dongyu received a total of 108 votes out of 191 cast, constituting a majority in the first round.
It said that the election took place during the 41st session of the FAO Conference (June 22 to June 29), the highest governing body of the Organisation.
Qu, who was born in 1963, is currently Vice Minister of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of China.
He became FAO’s 9th Director-General since the Organisation was founded on Oct. 16, 1945.
The term of the new Director-General, would start on Aug. 1 and run to July 31, 2023.
The following persons have served as FAO Directors-General since its establishment; Sir John Boyd Orr, United Kingdom, 1945-1948 , Norris E. Dodd, U.S., 1948-1954, Philip Vincent Cardon, U.S, 1954-1956 and Binay Ranjan Sen, India, 1956-1967.
Others are Addeke Hendrik Boerma, Netherlands, 1968-1975, Adouard Saouma, Lebanon, 1976-1993, Jacques Diouf, Senegal, 1994-2011 and the outgoing, José Graziano da Silva, Brazil, 2011-2019.
- Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP
- Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm
- Rotaract Club donates hospital items to Ojodu Lagos PHC
- Niger Govt. reinvigorates school sports to engage youths meaningfully
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy