Senior international Olympic official John Coates said on Saturday he supports a decision by Queensland’s state government to postpone work on its bid for the 2032 Games while they focus on the novel coronavirus outbreak.
Queensland Premier Annastascia Palaszczuk had confirmed the decision to postpone their work on the bid in a letter to the state parliament on Friday, The Australian newspaper reported.
“As Queensland’s and Australia’s focus has been placed on responding to coronavirus (the candidature leadership group) agreed that the 2032 Games candidature discussions be put on hold until further notice,” Palaszczuk wrote.
“The candidature will have its role to play in terms of jobs and growth in the Queensland economy once we have seen our way through the current crisis,” he said in a statement.
Australia has hosted the Summer Olympics twice, in Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000. The Queensland bid would be centred on the state’s largest city, Brisbane.
Coates, who is head of the International Olympic Committee’s inspectorate for Tokyo, warned earlier this week that Japanese organisers faced “real problems” hosting the postponed 2020 Games next year due to the coronavirus.
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Felix Ajide (NAN)
- Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff
- Afghanistan begins freeing 900 Taliban prisoners, urges truce extension
- APA wants forensic examination of election materials in Enugu South LGA
- Leipzig Captain Poulsen out with ligament injury
- Global film festival aims to bridge coronavirus distances
- Real Madrid forward, Bale, questions critics of golf hobby
- Katsina Gov’t investigates causes of unusual rise in death rate
- LIRS further extends deadline for filing Annual Tax Returns to June 30
- Man United in talks with Ighalo’s club over Nigerian star’s future
- Kano Govt. clarifies on ongoing work at Sani Abatcha isolation centre
- Ondo 2020: No automatic ticket for Agboola — PDP
- Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies
- Forensic Audit: NDDC 2019 budget was padded with over 500 fake projects – MD
- ACCI calls for stronger Nigeria-India economic relations
- UNECA encourages Africa to invest on digital transformation
- Sanwo-Olu commiserates with New Telegraph over editor’s death
- EEDC warns against obstruction of power line, condoles with family of Nnewi electrocution victim
- France reports more than 28,500 coronavirus deaths
- Gov. Matawalle appoints new Emir of Kaura Namoda
- COVID-19: NCDC activates additional 2 labs, bringing total to 28