Gov. Bello Matawalle of Zamfara has called on Muslims to undertake three days fasting and offer special prayers to seek Allah’s punishment on those behind the desecration of the Holy Qur’an in the state.
Matawalle made the call in Gusau on Friday through his Director-General Media and Publicity, Malam Yusuf Idris.
Nigeria News Agency reports that there has been several cases of the desecration of the Muslims Holy Book since 2016, especially in Gusau, the state capital.
The governor said the decision was taken following advice by the State Council of Ulama over the recurring incident.
“I am appealing to people of Zamfara State to conduct a three-day fasting and pray to almighty Allah to expose Qur’anic desecrators in the state,” he said.
Matawalle said the state government had organised special prayer session at Gusau Eid Praying Ground this Friday.
He also called on Imams of Jumu’at Mosques across the state to conduct special prayers during their Jummu’at prayers’ sermons to seek Allah’s intervention over the issue.
NAN reports that mutilated copies of the Holy Qur’an were last Friday found in Shatima Model Primary School Tudun-Wada, Gusau which led the closure of the school and suspension of all teachers by the state government. (NAN)
Edited by Isaac Aregbesola/Maharazu Ahmed
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Ebonyi inaugurates committee to recruit 13,000 for FG’s Special Works Programme
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects