Kelly, 53, is currently in detention at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago where he awaits trial for multiple charges, including sexual exploitation of children.
The charges are filed in federal courts in Illinois, Chicago, and New York. He has pleaded not guilty to the allegations.
On March 26, the Grammy award winner, in separate applications in Chicago and New York, asked to be released from custody to avoid contracting the coronavirus which is wreaking havoc in the country.
He had argued that both his age and his recent surgery for hernia put him at a high risk for catching the coronavirus, according to the New York Post.
The ‘Your Body is Calling’ crooner needed approval from both courts to live with his girlfriend, Joycelyn Savage, at her Chicago residence, while awaiting trial.
But Justice Ann Donnelly of the Eastern District of New York, who is
presiding over one of the two federal cases against the singer, was not convinced.
Ruling on the application on Tuesday, Donnelly said there had not been any reported cases of COVID-19, among Kelly’s fellow inmates in Chicago, the paper reported.
“The defendant is currently in custody because of the risks that he will flee or attempt to obstruct, threaten or intimidate prospective witnesses.
“The defendant has not explained how those risks have changed,” Donnelly said in her ruling.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Wale Ojetimi
- FG distributes relief items to 9,600 IDPs in Borno
- Cambodia lists 9 mountains as natural heritage sites
- Satellite herd-tracking program an “opportunity” for indigenous Australians
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House
- Trump seeks full withdrawal from Afghanistan without setting date
- Sydney Film Festival launches online program
- Uganda approves return of citizens stranded abroad over COVID-19
- Kyoto animation studio arson suspect arrested on suspicion of murder
- COVID-19 cluster detected on Australian live animal export ship