The Auchi Magistrate’s Court 1 building in Auchi, headquarters of the Etsako-West Local Government Area of Edo has collapsed following a heavy rainstorm on Wednesday.
A Correspondent of the Nigeria News Agency who visited the court on Thursday reports that the rainstorm also destroyed property worth several thousands of Naira in other parts of the town.
also reports that judicial activities at the court have now been suspended due to the rainstorm and the subsequent collapse of the building.
The Magistrate Court had been in dilapidated for the past three years as judicial officers find it difficult to carry out their duties.
Following a public outcry, the state government ordered that the court be merged with Magistrate Court II, located on the Auchi-Okene highway, pending its renovation, but since then, nothing had been done until the building finally caved in.
The court’s Assistant Chief Registrar, Benjamin Iteghie, expressed shock over the incident and appealed to the state government for help.
“The rainstorm has wreaked havoc on our buildings; as you can see, we no longer have a roof over our heads.
“We are appealing to the relevant authorities to come to our aid, as the court is no longer conducive for judicial proceedings and activities,’’ he said.
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Buhari commiserates with Delta fire victims
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Transport unions, FRSC sign agreement on Coronavirus safety measures in Kaduna
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Kano Emir re-appoints kingmaker 17-years after he was removed
- Ekiti Govt, CIPM collaborate on capacity devt
- United States-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi
- 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership