Madrid, March 1, 2019 (Reuters/NNN) Real Madrid have sacked youth team coach Alvaro Benito after he made negative comments about their first team on a radio programme during Wednesday’s 3-0 defeat to FC Barcelona.
The defeat was in a Copa del Rey semi-final second leg match.
In a statement released on Twitter on Friday, Benito said: “I respect the decision of the club, which I have always defended when appearing in the media. I always felt able to speak freely about the club I love.
“I leave with no resentment and will always be grateful to the club for everything it gave me as a player and in my first steps as a coach.”
Real Madrid did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
According to Spanish media reports, former Real Madrid striker Raul Gonzalez will succeed Benito as coach of the under-18 team.
During Real Madrid’s 3-0 defeat to Barca, Benito singled out midfielders Toni Kroos and Casemiro for criticism in a scathing assessment of the European champions’ performance on radio station Cadena Ser.
The defeat had seen the team exit the competition 4-1 on aggregate.
“The problem is there are players that are playing very far from their level,” he said.
“I’m talking about Casemiro who at the moment is not good enough to play even a minute for Real Madrid. Kroos is fantastic when the wind is in his favour, when it goes against him he abandons ship.”
Cadena Ser confirmed Benito had been sacked for his broadcast comments.
“Tonight Real Madrid told our colleague Alvaro Benito that he has been sacked as coach of the Juvenil B (under-18) team.
“The reason is they disagreed with some of the comments he has made on Cadena Ser,” presenter Dani Garrido said in a broadcast on Thursday.
Benito spent seven years as a Real Madrid player but was forced to retire at 26 due to persistent injuries.
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu
- World Diabetes Day: NGO provides free medicare to Abuja residents
- Agency signs MoU with bank to create access for loan for health maintenance
- NACCIMA president charges FG, states to patronise Innoson motors
- Pantami directs NCC to address issues of automatic voicemails on existing phonelines
- FG open to willing foreign investors in agribusiness – Perm Sec
- 4,000 Primary Health Centres have been revitalised in Nigeria – NPHCDA
- U.S calls for peaceful, free, transparent elections in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Buhari greets Wazirin Dutse, Bashir Dalhatu, at 70
- New Federal Polytechnic Daura to begin operation in 2019/2020 academic – NBTE boss