19’ signed by Mr Pius Agboola, Director, Policy and Regulation, of the commission, announced the extension of the recapitalisation deadline from June 30 to Dec. 31.
Agboola said in the circular that the decision for the extension followed a review of the recapitalisation plans submitted by the operators.
He also said that the decision was sequel to the various levels of compliance observed and inputs from various engagements with relevant stakeholders.
Also, Mrs Yetunde Ilori said that following the extension, insurance companies had now been given ample time to comply with the directive.
She advised that insurance companies should not rush into the exercise without adequate preparation and diligent execution.
She added that the extension would also help to facilitate a seamless reinsurance arrangement which she said was an annual programme.
According to her, it will be absurd to conclude the recapitalisation by mid-year, as this may cause a lot of disruptions.
The D-G said, “Now that the commission has provided the needed impetus for members to go about the exercise, it is my appeal that member companies must give the exercise all the seriousness it deserves.
“We need to appreciate the commission’s gesture by working hard to achieve the recapitalisation threshold set for our various businesses.
“That way, we will encourage the commission to churn out more market friendly policies.’’
She also advised her members to take advantage of the new date to complete their recapitalisation plans.
She added that with the extension granted by NAICOM, some of the initial challenges thrown up by the first date had been addressed.
“It is our hope that whatever recapitalisation option they have to take, the new timeline will give them the ample opportunity to do so, “she said.
She wished all the members of her association success in their recapitalisation plans and prayed for a hitch- free exercise.
Ilori also commended NAICOM for the extension of the recapitalisation deadline granted the Insurance and Reinsurance Companies in Nigeria.
She noted that the commission had taken a bold step in the right direction by acceding to the requests of the insurance companies for an extension of the deadline for the exercise.
“The association appreciates the Acting Commissioner for Insurance, Mr Sunday Thomas and management of the commission, for acceding to our request.
“This singular move has no doubt portrayed the commission as one with a listening ear.
“It has proven to be responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of the insurance operators and shown that the interest of the market is uppermost in its considerations,” she said.
According to her, the market expects more cheery news from NAICOM by way of palliatives and incentives, especially, for those that are within its control.
The director-general said this was necessary because the cost of recapitalisation would be too heavy on the companies.
She said that with palliatives coming from the commission, they would assist the firms to reduce their costs and increase their shareholders’ values.
NAN had reported that NAICOM, in exercising its statutory powers and regulatory functions, had on May 20, reviewed the minimum paid-up share capital requirement for all classes of insurers , that is, insurance and reinsurance companies.
The directive was with the exception of Takaful operators and Micro-insurance companies who are doing businesses in the country.
Following the review, the existing minimum paid-up capital share for Life Insurance business was raised from N2 billion to N8 billion.
That of the General Insurance business was raised from N3 billion to N10 billion and that of the Composite business was raised from N5 billion to N18 billion.
The d Reinsurance business was raised from N10billion to N20 billion.
The new paid-up share capital requirement takes immediate effect for new applications made to NAICOM by companies seeking to carry out insurance businesses in the country.
Edited by: Chioma Ugboma/Peter Dada
- Social Safety-Nets targets 2m households in 2020
- Police debunks viral video, not mastermind of alleged Dambam robbery – CP
- CSOs advise Supreme Court to stand by its decisions
- Police arraign 4 men over alleged cultism, possession of charms
- National Police Games to hold at 6 venues in Anambra, 2 neighbouring states
- Nollywood to premiere star-studded movie “Stepping into Maggie’s Shoe” in UK
- Assembly inaugurates committee on N2bn Zamfara Govt. House project
- Group calls for sustained investment in Nigerian youths to fast track technological development
- Okota Rotary Club donates radiant warmer to Isolo General Hospital
- Delta Commissioner for Education counsels teachers on integrity, credibility
- FG, States, LGs share N647.35bn for January
- NSCDC seeks traditional rulers’ support to curb illegal mining in Zamfara
- Projects: Kebbi Commissioner embarks on media inspection tour
- We’ll liaise with LASG to assist student hit by stray bullet- Council Chairman
- Ekiti Assembly promises to cooperate with new HoS
- Police arraign man over alleged N.6m fraud
- Court sentences man to 3 years imprisonment for forging registry stamp
- President Buhari commends Reps on Magazine launch
- Lagos lawmaker decries inadequate public schools in Badagry
- Hisbah arrests man over alleged alcohol smuggling in Jigawa
- Akeredolu tasks APC support groups on unity
- Be wary of online human traffickers, Group advises Nigerians
- Driver bags 1 year imprisonment for stealing phones, cash
- Court orders release of Dasuki’s International passport
- ESBA promises boxing bags, first aid boxes for Enugu State boxers
- KASU matriculates 4, 959 students for 2019/2020 academic session
- NAHCON inaugurates team for 2020 Hajj Operations
- Each High Court in Oyo handles over 500 cases-CJ
- Community leader urges FG to address farmers/herders conflict
- CPC confiscates 27 bags of adulterated hibiscus in Jigawa
- Mechanic bags 23 months imprisonment for theft, assault
- Jigawa warns against using pesticides for fish preservation
- SGF says call for sack of security chiefs inappropriate
- FIFA’s Wenger wants offside law changed to reduce VAR criticism
- Man, 24, allegedly steals N250,000 gold chain at Tejuoso market
- Gov. Lalong inuagurates 18-member committee on community policing
- California University trying to identify autism risk before symptoms
- Excellers Hitters wins District 01 Softball Girls Tournament in Ibadan
- Buhari enlarges NDDC Management Committee
- NFF denies appointing Amokachi head, technical crew
- Expert urges farmers to be wary of adulterated fertilisers
- Court orders CMD to prove suspect’s death, burial with documentary evidences
- China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over coronavirus editorial
- Maha Zaoui: 'We are going to build something special in Africa'
- Fed. University Dutse secures 12, 000 pounds grant from British Council
- Statement by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya
- Zamfara Govt uncovers hideouts for stolen cows
- Lagos Marathon: NSCDC in Plateau commends personnel for excellent performance
- 52 first class students among 786 graduating — FUD VC
- Businessman in court for allegedly damaging N400,000 property
- Private Sector collaboration uncovers almost 8,000 TB cases in 9 months – IHVN CEO
- I released ‘God of Men’ to warn against fake clerics—Charlyboy
- 2 men in court for allegedly defrauding student of his N316,000 school fees, allowances
- Breach of contract: Court warns counsel in N20m suit against delays
- Court remands man, 25, for conspiracy, intimidation
- Paradigm Initiative selects Nigerian as pioneer Fellow of DRILL
- SERVICOM to partner Ministry of Health on healthcare service delivery – Coordinator
- Group takes investment campaign to Imo, woos potential investors
- Infectious disease: Expert calls for more investment in protective equipment
- Company manager docked for allegedly stealing N914,900
- Two Tier Split For Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) Women's Festival
- Alleged N1.3b fraud: Judge advises EFCC put house in order
- Unity: NGO involves NAFDAC on advocacy
- Court sentences trader to 4 months imprisonment for attacking friend with knife
- Experts explain inflation hike, anticipate further tightening by CBN
- NEMA alerts farmers on rainfall prediction in Niger
- Actors’ Guild sets up fund raising committee for Asuzu
- Don’t tell students about Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). Inspire them (By De Wet Joubert, RS Components Sub Sahara Africa)
- Court to rule March 31 in application for contempt against Babandede, Aregbesola
- 4 men in court for allegedly stealing mobile phones from pedestrian
- Man remanded for allegedly defiling neighbour’s 9-year-old daughter
- Double Taxation: Tribunal fixes April 22, for adoption of terms of settlement
- Insecurity: CSO advocates emergency budget for Police
- Court fixes April 30 for judgment in case of father accused of testing daughter’s virginity
- CCD demands persons with disabilities access to INEC offices
- Court remands woman for allegedly biting, threatening to poison own father
- Council to prosecute fake seed peddlers in Gombe
- Excessive heat increasing cases of Chronic Kidney Disease among youths, says Nephrologists
- Association president urges ICT professionals to become certified
- Israel lifts restrictions on Gaza fishing zone after relative calm
- NUJ chairmanship aspirant pledges improved welfare for Nasarawa journalists
- No indication of coronavirus cases in North Korea – WHO
- World Bank approves 6 projects for Nigeria
- FUOYE set to commence distance learning in Criminology, Security Studies
- NGO advocates gender sensitive programmes to end violence against women, children
- Kwara Govt tasks sports stars to be role models
- MDXi to unveil first locally available Microsoft Stack Cloud offering at Nerds Unite 2020 in partnership with Microsoft and HPE
- N1.2bn tax error claim: Parties to explore out-of- court settlement option
- Land expropriations in South Africa would be ‘disastrous’ — Pompeo
- Pinnacle loses chairman, CEO at 66
- President Buhari presides over FEC as Ministries of Power, Trade make presentations
- Kebbi State is doing a lot to stop the spread of cancers -Hajia Bagudu
- WHO releases protective equipment against CoVID-19 to 21 countries
- Gov. Zulum disburses N100m to 10,000 households displaced by flood
- Invest more in infrastructure to boost tourism, Quest urges Nigerian govt.
- 4 die in mid-air plane collision in Australia
- Syria reopens Aleppo airport after 8-year closure
- Flood Prevention: Osun Govt. commences dredging of waterways
- Teach children self protection methods, Manager urges parents
- College of Surgeon: Mrs Bagudu makes case for Nigerian medical practitioners
- Hit-and-run lorry driver kills 1 on River Niger Bridge – FRSC
- 800 cruise passengers left in Cambodia test negative for coronavirus
- Nutrition project to strengthen preventive intervention – Official
- Court remands applicant for allegedly killing own mother
- No threat of desert locusts in Nigeria- FAO
- Study: Hundreds of Australians paid for live-streamed sexual abuse
- S. Korea seeks entry ban on foreigners to be released from quarantined cruise ship
- Court remands man for allegedly defiling 11-year-old girl
- JTF confirms death of 4 soldiers, denies alleged invasion of Bayelsa community
- Appeals court raises prison term for ex-President Lee Myung-bak, bail revoked
- Alleged unlawful detention: Court to hear N1bn suit filed by Sowore, Bakare against DSS on March 25
- Dreadlocks: The myths, misconceptions, culture and lifestyles
- S. Korea struggles to contain further spread amid cluster of 20 new virus cases
- Blitzboks change three as Kok hits 50
- Fear of Further Crackdown as Constitutional Poll Nears – NNN
- How minerals and metals companies can help achieve 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – NNN
- Hong Kong confirms 2nd Covid-19 death as toll in China tops 2,000
- Commercial bus driver in court for reckless driving, causing death of pedestrian
- Edo Civil Service Commission Chairman extols virtues of late SSG
- 2 friends in court for allegedly assaulting woman in nightclub
- Director of Oscar-winning ‘Parasite’ did not want to sugarcoat inequality
- No country adequately protect children’s health, environment, futures- WHO Report
- Olympics: With handclaps, help from Backstreet Boys, Tokyo mascots jet off to Europe
- Court remands trado medical practitioner for allegedly defiling his daughters
- Child trafficking: NAPTIP nabs 2 suspects in A/Ibom
- Scavenger bags 6 months imprisonment for stealing Pumping Machine
- Reform Abusive Security Agency – NNN
- China to release policies on auto parts remanufacturing industry
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points – NNN
- Gunmen kill 2 soldiers in Plateau
- Cameras, Printers, & a Trip to Dubai — Canon Discovery Week Nigeria Raffle Winners Announced
- Transparency: Association introduces stickers, trust waybills
- Global Modernisation of Land Administration: Making Your Land Information System (LIS) a Success
- Lagos Govt confirms 1 Lassa fever case, isolates patient at LUTH
- Head’s up Africa. You’ve Been Phished
- Global Crypto Giant Paxful Bullish on Africa for 2020
- 37th Ramat Cup: Teams battle for semi-final tickets, as Gawuna praises participating players
- Atletico Madrid edge Liverpool after vintage defensive display
- Haaland sensational in giving Borussia Dortmund 2-1 win over PSG
- Private sector needs to take over sponsorship of sports in Nigeria, Edo Dep. Gov. says
- Vitoria Guimaraes launch investigation into Marega racist abuse
- Kenin, Bencic fall at first hurdle on day of upsets in Dubai
- FIFA forced to plan holding Council meeting by video-conference
- EU pledges to support Nigeria fulfill universal human rights obligations
- Oyo Assembly charges tertiary institutions to be proactive on courses accreditation
- Osun Speaker seeks police support for Amotekun
- Ministers collaborate on stopping entry of Covid-19 into Nigeria
- Oyo govt. takes Road Safety Clubs to schools
- 5th Doctors Games: Sports, veritable tool for healthy living — Wike
- Police yet to arrest any suspect in Ondo bank robbery
- Ekiti indicates interest to host 2021 NAFEST
- Edwin Clark cautions Buhari over appointment of Bulkachuwa’s successor
- Oyo NULGE calls off sit-at-home action
- NDE, Gombe Govt. disburse N2 m to 200 women
- Wike lauds NIS for introducing new e-passport with 10-year validity
- Police arrest female suspect over alleged fake news
- Ambassador-Designate of Kingdom of Bahrain in Cairo meets Arab Republic of Egypt's Permanent Representative to League of Arab States
- Senate decries non provision of financial records of IPPIS by OAGF
- Mixed reactions continue to trail border closure
- Senate urges IOCs to relocate HQ to N/Delta region
- European Union (EU) boosts assistance to drought-affected people in Lesotho
- Senate president wants security beefed up at NASS
- Senate confirms Capt. Musa Nuhu as NCAA DG
- UK seeks closer ties with Nigeria after Brexit
- Nigeria loses $750m to oil theft in 2019 – NNPC
- FG tasks MDAs on FOIA to promote transpiracy, good governance
- NCS boss says non-compliance challenge to Nigeria’s trade
- Yobo dosen’t need coaching experience to be on Eagles bench — Bosso
- Sokoto govt. to unveil livestock potentials at trade fair – Commissioner
- Minister urges girl-child to focus on skills, digital innovation
- Okowa’s Spokesman, Olisa Ifeajika, loses mum
- FIRS, Lagos govt. to tackle non-payment of taxes
- Bayelsa: World Assembly of Youth sues for peace
- Only 8 renal transplantation centres exist in Nigeria- Nephrologist
- Kwara Speaker advocates media, legislative synergy
- Perm Sec, State House, Arabi mourns as assassins kill Director
- FRSC @32: Corps urges staff to shun unwholesome acts
- Visa ban: US gives Nigeria conditions for review of policy
- Lagos Deputy Governor reiterates importance of traditional rulers in national development
- Assembly to collaborate with Nasarawa govt. on Masaka market relocation crisis
- FG to release N6bn for 2,500 housing project in Bauchi
- Alleged harassment: Petroleum tanker drivers commence strike in Kano
- Onu woos foreign investors on methanol policy
- Families of fallen heroes receive cheques from Defence ministry
- March 1 relocation date remains sacrosanct, Ebonyi Govt. tells traders
- IPMAN disassociates self from ongoing strike in Kano
- NSF: Sports commissioner receives unity torch in Kaduna
- Benin experiences 1st rain of 2020
- I did not assault fellow Oba — Oluwo
- Turkish court delivers surprise acquittal in landmark protest trial
- Presidential aide urges understanding to tackle nation’s challenges
- KDSG to bid for 2022 NSF
- APC youths protest appointment of cashier in Kwara council
- Bankers Committee to help bridge infrastructure deficit in Nigeria
- Fiscal Commission partners with ICPC to strengthen anti-corruption war
- First Group of Over 1,400 Stranded Ethiopian Migrants Arrive from Tanzania
- Audi and BMW operations in China back to normal
- President Buhari scores NDA high for training EFCC cadets
- Switzerland helps East African communities fight locust swarms
- FRSC 32nd Anniversary: Don advocates inclusion of road safety in university curriculum