Wall Street was set to open sharply lower on Wednesday, as poor economic data from China and Germany put the focus back on the impact of a bruising Sino-U.S. trade war, which is pushing some major economies toward the brink of recession.
The outlook for Germany’s export-reliant economy was also grim and Chinese industrial output growth cooled to a more than 17-year low, adding to headwinds for U.S. multinationals that rely on global demand.
The U.S. bond market showed red flags, with two-year Treasury yields rising above those for 10-year paper for the first time since 2007, pointing to the risk of recession.
Wall Street’s main indexes surged more than 1.5 per cent on Tuesday after Washington delayed the introduction of tariffs on some Chinese consumer goods.
“It’s almost as if global investors either don’t buy the tariff delay as a sign of real progress in the U.S.-China trade war or have been too consumed by further evidence of global economic weakness to care,’’ BMO Capital Markets strategist, Stephen Gallo, said.
At 8.28 a.m. ET, Dow e-minis 1YMcv1 were down 361 points, or 1.37 per cent.
S&P 500 e-minis EScv1 was down 39.25 points, or 1.34 per cent and Nasdaq 100 e-minis NQcv1 were down 119 points, or 1.54 per cent.
Banks were among the losers in trading before the bell, with Bank of America Corp, Citigroup Inc, JPMorgan Chase & Co, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo & Co and Morgan Stanley down between 2.3 per cent and 3.1 per cent.
Shares of Apple Inc were down 2.3 per cent after boosting markets a day earlier with a four per cent rise.
Chipmakers were also trading lower, with Micron Technology Inc, Broadcom Inc and Nvidia Corp down more than two per cent.
Macy’s Inc tumbled 12.9 per cent after the department store operator cut its full-year profit forecast as it discounted heavily to clear excess spring season inventory.
Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections