Fans of Mavin Record’s newest signee, Rema have expressed mixed reactions over the video for his hit song, ‘Dumebi’.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that the 18-year-old artist released the video on Wednesday drawing massive scrutiny from fans who debated the age appropriateness of the video’s plot.
The colourful video infused nature, youth and the goofiness generally associated with Generation Z. Rema and his fans are on a road trip that takes the viewer through some of Nigeria’s best scenery.
The story line follows Rema trying to get the attention of the girl he likes. He does all he can and at the same keeps having fun on the trip. Sadly, the girl’s boyfriend is also a part of the cruise.
Everyone in the video is dressed up in colourful, trendy street wear including ‘blocked’ coloured clothes and neon-bright sunglasses. The hairstyles also add carefree vibes to the entire setup.
Some fans felt since Rema, born in 2001, makes music enjoyed by young people of all ages, his video should also reflect all the demographics and not focus on people his age.
@Tia_africa said, “REMA’s Dumebi video is for secondary school students.”
@Itzlaolao tweeted, “He just gathered with his close friends and did video to upload on his WhatsApp status.”
@PrincessEgbuna said, “I want to believe that Rema didn’t give us the official Dumebi video. Wetin be that?”
@Girlinyellow tweeted, “Nobody is asking him to show naked bodies. He should have flowed more with the Afro beat concept put some dancers, give it a more Nigerian vibe.
“Something that connects more with the song. That looks like a video for some high school musical shii. Dumebi video is trash.”
Meanwhile, other fans defended the singer and noted that he should be left alone to act his age. They also remarked that Wizkid’s first video ‘Holla at your boy’s had similar playful pattern.
@Ogieva tweeted, “First of all, do you understand the concept of a target audience? Secondly, who appointed you? Lastly, the guy is 18. Let him act his age.”
@DJcyrup tweeted, “Most people saying Rema’s Dumebi video is trash haven’t seen it yet.”
@Yacim said, “People are mad at Rema for the Dumebi video lol. Is he not 18? What did u expect? I don’t get.”
@Zaddynomso said, “I understand the gist that Rema should have a story line for Dumebi Video but you got to appreciate the fact it had no Naked Girls.
“I think it’s a plot to catch Fans his age like Hola At Your Boy did in 2011. Sounds like Wizkid Coming 2.0.”
Rema has since responded to the backlash through his twitter handle, @heisrema. He wrote, “My sound, my generation. Accept my new visual for #Dumebi Link on my bio.”
Edited by Ekemini Ladejobi
- Bangladesh’s top court denies release for jailed ex-premier Zia
- Petroleum ministry warns public to discountenance fake Sylva’s social media accounts
- Tackling gender based violence in Nigeria
- Minimum Wage: NLC prepares for showdown with state governors Dec. 31
- FG to establish community museums to boost tourism – Lai Mohammed
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council