The House of Representatives has mandated its Committee on Basic Education and Services to work out modalities towards the complete overhaul of Unity Schools in the country.
This followed a unanimous adoption of a motion moved by Rep. Valentine Ayika (APC-Anambra) at the plenary session presided by the Speaker of the House, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila.
The house recalls that 104 Unity schools were established by the Federal Government across the country to ensure national integration and nation building among Nigerian children.
The green chamber said the establishment was to give the children the opportunity, at a very tender age, to live and learn together in an ideal educational environment.
The legislature noted that the unity schools had fulfilled the objectives over the years, producing men and women with broad-mindset from various backgrounds and cultures with a common bond of unity.
The lawmakers, however, expressed concern that the nation’s desire to promote unity, harmony and a collective spirit of nation building would phase out if the general conditions of the schools were not improved.
The house directed the Committee to liaise with the Federal Ministry of Education and report back in six weeks for further legislative action. (NAN)
Edited by Isaac Aregbesola/Ismail Abdulaziz
- We are working to repair dilapidated NYSC orientation camp road – Ganduje
- Land border closure undermining nation’s economy- ADP chieftain
- Research institute trains 120 farmers on home garden in Kano state
- Kogi guber poll : Wada rounds off campaign, promises to banish poverty
- House of Reps directs c’ttees to address escalating negative impact of crude oil spillage
- Director urges students to take interest in agriculture
- Physiotherapists to support FG on curbing health tourism
- EU slams Turkey for re-arresting prominent journalist Altan
- NGO lauds Pantami’s Digital Economy ideas
- Premier Li stresses workplace safety
- NIMASA donates educational materials to schools
- GIS Day: EEDC launches ‘addressing solution application’ for South-East
- NSE market capitalisation loses N56bn on profit taking
- IOC President arrives Nigeria to rousing welcome
- Company to construct 160 shops in New Haven market, Enugu
- FEC okays additional capital increase for Nigeria at International Reconstruction bank
- Emzor pledges continued support for Lagos Women Run
- Lawmakers raise alarm over irregularities in Zamfara Social Intervention Programme
- Roman Polanski’s new film hits French screens amid controversy
- Zimbabwe bans electric geysers in bid to save power