Residents of Ilorin, on Monday, expressed fear over possible outbreak of epidemics, as refuse has taken over major streets within the metropolis.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that in spite of the observance of the monthly sanitation exercise, heaps of refuse still occupy major roads in the state capital.
A NAN correspondent, who moved around the city, observed that the ‘roro bins’ usually placed at some designated areas, have long been removed, thus forcing residents to dump wastes by the roadside and walkways.
Some areas most affected by the heaps of refuse are Oniyangi along Emir road, Tanke Ilesanmi, on the University of Ilorin road, Airport area, Ipata market and Gambari, among others.
Some residents, who spoke with NAN, decried the situation, attributing it to the failure by waste contractors to evacuate the garbage.
According to them, it portends grave danger for the health and wellbeing of the people, adding that failure to evacuate the refuse can provoke an outbreak of diseases.
Mallam Idris Ibrahim, a resident of Oniyangi, told NAN that people were not provided with alternative locations to dump their refuse since the bins had been removed.
He said that the Kwara Waste Management Company, which used to collect waste around the city, had also stopped performing the duty.
Mr Awal Mohammed, a resident of Oja Igboro, condemned the failure by government to evacuate the refuse by the roadside, saying that this could cause epidemic.
He urged the state government to urgently initiate measures to address the ugly development.
According to him, no state can afford to face the consequences of epidemics, particularly at a time when citizens were facing harsh economic conditions.
Mrs Sidikat Ishola, a trader, also warned of the consequences of abandoning refuse on the streets, saying that the situation had destroyed the reputation of Ilorin as one of the cleanest cities in the country.
“Government should know that cleanliness is next to Godliness,’’ she added.
In his reaction, Alhaji Haliru Said, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, said that the ministry was aware of the situation and would soon address it.
He blamed it on the inaction of the social contractors engaged for evacuation of refuse in the metropolis.
Said, who spoke with NAN from a meeting he was holding with the contractors, said that the ministry had given them a three-day ultimatum to ensure the waste were packed.
The permanent secretary noted that whoever failed to live up to the ultimatum would have its contract cancelled.
He said that the contractors had particularly been mandated to work in sensitive areas like Airport road, market places, University of Ilorin road and Emir road, among others.
Said added that the ministry would move out after the expiration of the ultimatum and sanction any contractors that failed to adequately cover its area.
Edited & Vetted By: Dorcas Jonah and
- Wake-up to delivering democracy dividends, Gbadamosi urges Sanwo-Olu
- Yuletide: FRSC deploys 1,500 personnel to Kano highways
- FG commends Dangote’s $30bn domestic revenue generation drive, road constructions
- School feeding: NGO commends KDSG for setting up structures to curb corruption
- ACF condemns killing of aid workers by Boko Haram terrorists
- Adiyan Waterworks: Lagos govt. earmarks N600m to compensate property owners
- Greenwood strikes again to salvage home draw for Manchester United
- World Bank APPEALS project: 350 beneficiaries graduate in Lagos
- Shun evil, move closer to God for peace, unity to reign in Nigeria- Cleric urges Nigerians
- Bauchi: 1,000 exhibitors to participate in North East trade fair—-official
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21